AMD plans a summer of fun with RX Vega and Threadripper

At its press conference this morning in Taipei, AMD gave us a look at a broad range of upcoming products. Let's get the most important news out of the way first: AMD's Radeon RX Vega card (or cards) will arrive at the ACM SIGGRAPH conference, running from July 30 to August 3. As we learned at the company's Financial Analyst Day recently, the Radeon RX Vega won't be the first Vega card to launch. That honor goes to the Vega Frontier Edition, arriving June 27.

To give the most demanding PC users a platform suitable for powering Vega, Ryzen Threadripper CPUs will offer up to 16 cores and 32 threads. Unlike Intel's Core X-series CPUs and their stratified peripheral expansion options, builders with a thirst for PCIe lanes can rest easy regarding a couple major specs of Threadripper. These chips will all offer 64 PCIe lanes and quad-channel memory. Asus' Zenith Extreme motherboard offers one look at how those resources will be put to use.

AMD showed the Threadripper platform in action with four Radeon Vega Frontier Edition graphics cards in tow. That system was running a photorealistic scene in Blender, rendered by AMD's ProRender plugin. AMD didn't say how much one would have to pay to obtain a similar system, but we do know that all the parts will be available later this summer.

AMD also reiterated its performance goals for its Ryzen Mobile CPUs: 50% higher CPU performance over an unspecified seventh-generation APU, 40% higher graphics performance over the Radeon IGP from that same APU, and 50% lower power consumption. For the first time, the company showed off a Ryzen Mobile package with Zen cores and Vega graphics on-die.

To show that Ryzen Mobile is a going concern, AMD brought out a prototype thin-and-light notebook with a convertible hinge. Despite its slim chassis, AMD said this notebook boasts four cores and eight threads of computing power alongside its Vega IGP. Expect to see similar systems for consumers in the second half of this year and for businesses in the first half of 2018.

• wesley5904

24 core Threadrippers in 2018? (my prediction)

A 16 core thread ripper is just 2 8 Core Ryzens slapped together…

If AMD can deliver on 7nm, and are talking of a 48 core server called “Starship”.

That tells me the 7nm may be a 12 core cpu? (12 x 4 = 48 cores)

Does anyone else believe this logic ?

• Waco

This is how I imagine it going as well, assuming the 12 core parts pan out on 7nm.

• Zizy

Well, even assuming 12C this still leaves some questions unanswered – 2x 6C cluster or 3x 4C cluster? But yeah, 24C threadripper would be the obvious guess.

6×8 also gets us to 48, so it could be that kind of config.

• Waco

6 dies would mean either dropping to 6 channels of memory or going to 12…

I thought about that after I posted and decided to just leave it flapping there in the breeze.

• Waco

I’d welcome 12 channels of memory, but I bet board partners would not. 🙂

• Lordhawkwind

Sorry AMD but I doubt you’ll be getting any money out of me this summer. I own a Fury Pro and was looking forward to buying a Vega card but after another no show at Computex (other than that stupid xfr demo) I’m changing my mind. Vega, once the AIB cards come out, will be so late and only compete with Pascal with Volta on the horizon everyone might as well wait for Navi.

Classic AMD product execution lol.

• AMDisDEC

Lisa Su would make for the perfect Post-Trump President. She’ll clean up the mess Trump ends up making (ala Bush, but worst) just like she’s cleaning up the mess the last two AMD incompetent CEOs created.

Vote for a competent America. Vote for Lisa Su!

• Fonbu

I have this funny thing going on with Knitting all the sudden…

• xDoritox

Summer of fun with a niche CPU and a vaporware GPU. I think it’s time to say goodbye, it was good knowing ya, AMD.

• ptsant

I bought the Ryzen 1700X and discovered the joy of compiling with 12 threads (the optimal number), running my bioinformatics analyses in record time and converting vector images to high-quality png 12 at a time.

I used to be happy with my MacBook Pro and its measly 4 threads. Now that I’ve tasted 16 threads, I want more. I yearn the ThreadRipper with 4 channels and 32 threads.

• brucethemoose

Well there are 16C Xeons on the shelf right now.

Heck, EVGA SR-2 owners have been sitting on 24 threads for years.

• ptsant

I’ve been considering the HEDT line for a long time. Even E3 Xeons. But the E5 Xeons are in another league ($1800 for the 14-core + a $500 MB).

Anyway, none of that is cheap. But the Threadripper is probably cheapest…

• AMDisDEC

You are wise to skip the Intel and await the AMD. Taoism like decision.

• chuckula

+3 for use of “the” in front of Threadripper.

Once Apple puts Threadrippers into all Macbooks, you will be able to enjoy 32 threads of ULTIMATE POWAR in a 2lb form factor.

• ptsant

Actually, I’d rather have the Threadripper in credit card form. Intel apparently is launching such a product: [url<]http://www.anandtech.com/show/11498/intels-creditcard-sized-compute-card-detailed-shipping-in-august[/url<] A new Threadripper iMac mini also sounds like a great idea. If you want your PC to collapse spontaneously into a black hole when turned on.

• gmskking

That thing is a beast.

• ronch

On the contrary, I think it’s a beauty.

• maxxcool

It has been a LONG time since i have seen a CPU that large.

• Concupiscence

Seriously, I got flashbacks to Socket 8 and the Pentium Pro looking at that.

• maxxcool

Or Fujitsu boxes as well … crazy big.

• tipoo

Seems to be four chips on a package fwiw

• maxxcool

it is.. i am DEEPLY interested in seeing how single core efficiency is affected by the thread juggling across the fabric\ccx.

• chuckula

If a workload can stay in-cache for the most part then it shouldn’t be that much of a difference.
          For example, everyone’s favorite Cinebench will probably be close to a straight mathematical extrapolation from an 8 core RyZen.

Certain workloads that like to be chatty between lots of cores could have issues.

• brucethemoose

Kinda like games.

But games don’t scale across that many threads anyway (bar a few weird cases, like Skyrim’s god-awful CPU shadows or certain servers).

• tipoo

Alt name: Facehugger

[url<]https://techreport.com/r.x/2017_05_30_AMD_plans_a_summer_of_fun_with_RX_Vega_and_Threadripper/threadripper-package.jpg[/url<]

• chuckula

The font reminds me of… [url=https://youtu.be/wJkmY8CuE_g?t=10s<]FREAKIN' AIRWOLF![/url<]

• liquid_mage

Airwolf was great. But that’s probably because I was somewhere between 9-12 when it was on.

• AMDisDEC

Lisa Su is Genius and the best thing to happen to AMD since bit-slices!

• willmore

An Am2900 joke! I get it!

• ronch

Hey folks, underneath that huge lid on that huge AMD [s<]Grim Reaper[/s<] Threadripper you have this: [url<]https://i.gadgets360cdn.com/large/amd_fad_2017_epyc_1495033345125.png[/url<] And underneath: [url<]https://www.pcgamesn.com/sites/default/files/AMD%20Ryzen%20Threadripper%20reverse.jpg[/url<] So there seems to be spacing in-between the dies there. I guess that's pretty common, right? I think Magny Course and the evasive Via Quad Core both have that setup. Not sure about other MCMs like early Core 2 Quad models and Abu Dhabi though. Still, wouldn't that present a disadvantage performance-wise compared to Intel's single-die Skylake-X?

• psuedonymous

Yes, you have to deal with 4 really distinct NUMA nodes, rather than the -X series Xeons, which sit everything on either the same shared ring-bus or a pair of linked ring busses, all on-die.

If you can write your own code (and your task happens to be tolerant of latency between nodes) then it’s a nonissue, If you’re dealing with existing code, or have a task that does not split up well, then you may find that the theoretical performance cannot be achieved in practice.

Possibly, but even Intel’s single-die architecture has increased latency between dies that are far apart so the scheduler tries to fit jobs that share resources on adjacent cores in the die. That’s going to be no different to this AMD setup in real terms.

The AMD setup won’t have quite the internal bandwidth of the Intel design, but to compensate, there’s vastly more L3 cache. I can’t predict how it’ll perform so I’m looking forward to benchmarks.

• USAFTW

That looks very interesting. Those ASIC seem to be of the 8c/16t variety, so there’s a grand total of 32 cores on that package. Has AMD disabled one CCX out of each to get 16 cores?

• DancinJack

Confused as to why you’re calling the dies “ASIC”?

• smilingcrow

’cause it’s a ‘sic’ die bro, way more coolio than de other ones innit.

• USAFTW

Ah, sorry about that;-)

• ronch

I doubt they’d disable a CCX per die or disable 4 cores per die whichever way they want to get to 16 cores. Simply putting 2 dies instead of 4 while leaving the space for the 2 missing dies vacant seems like a more cost efficient way to do it.

• DancinJack

I wouldn’t be so sure. They’re disabling four cores on each of the 4C/8T parts, so it’s not like it’s out of the question. There is A LOT more overheard in this case, but I wouldn’t necessarily rule it out.

• ronch

With the 4C/8T chips it’s a different matter because they simply didn’t spin a native quad core die and simply chose to repurpose those 8-core dies. With 16-core models you can simply slap 2 dies on a package.

• RAGEPRO

That looks more like an EPYC (Naples) chip than Threadripper. The bottom doesn’t match up with the SP3r2 socket we’ve seen, either.

• Takeshi7

It is Epyc. Threadripper is only 2 dies, Epyc is 4.

• Sahrin

Er…no, threadripper is 16 core/32 thread, the CPU you pictured is a Naples 32 core/64 thread CPU. Each one of the MCM dies is one 8 core CPU.

• wesley5904

Threadripper is basically 2 Ryzen’s glued together which communicate through infinity fabric. It is really a genius design.

If AMD can get to 7nm, and have a 48 core server next year. I am guessing that means AMDs dies will then be 12 core, not just 8.

• USAFTW

So… The 4th conference about Vega goes by with no soft or hard launch and they have once again kicked the can down the road. You’re killing us AMD, just launch the effing thing!

• Krogoth

HBM2 memory supply issues are the source of the delays. There isn’t enough to go for an official launch yet.

There’s also the crypto-currency crazy going on which means that small amount of units are going to be snatch up by miners.

• tay

Ryzen = success. Vega = disaster in my view. They should’ve built a GDDR5X part like NGreedia did. I bought an RX 470 thinking that it would tide me over till Vega launched, but I’m switching to the green team next fall for the Pascal 1070 part. I won’t be in the market for an HBM2 monster, nor for an overclocked RX 480.

Maybe I should just suck it up, and wait for Vega… </s>

• HERETIC

looking at the time frame-I’m guessing HBM isn’t the only problem.
          My guess is early silicon just wasn’t good enough and have a couple re-spins………

• BaronMatrix

Vega may be the most complex chip ever built… It’s as much a CPU as a GPU… They want HBM2 because Vega will be mobile for seriously thin and light..

• BaronMatrix

They said Vega is launching at SIGGRAPH…

• ptsant

Vega=epic fail.
      At least it has the potential to do well for compute. If they make a decent software ecosystem (libraries and the like).

• abele2017
    • Krogoth

Stupid double posting internet browser…. 😛

• torquer

Try Internet Explorer, its the bees knees

• jihadjoe

You mean Internet Exploder? or are you one of those funny folk who run Nutscrape?

IE6 runs best.

• Krogoth

Ryzen Mobile does look very promising and hopefully allow AMD to go back into the black.

It looks like Threadripper is on course to disrupt Intel’s upcoming HEDT line-up. I expect AMD to start at $499 and go a bit beyond $1,000 mark for their top-end SKU.

• chuckula

Yes, and wouldn’t it have been nice if Lisa Su had said that on stage? After Intel has announced its prices and its too late for them to make a real change?

give it a rest

give it a rest

• DancinJack

Considering Ryzen is sitting at 500, I highly doubt Thread-borker is gonna sit there as well.

• Krogoth

The lowest-binned versions can easily fit in just like the lowest-binned version of the Intel’s HEDT platform.

• Demetri

I could see 1800X dropping to $400 by the time Threadripper launches. It’s already at $450 (Amazon), with the 1700X down to $340 and we’re only 2 months after launch.

• ptsant

It might make sense for a lower frequency 10-core model, for example. Otherwise, I would expect the 1800X to gently slide to $450-480 and the TR4 models to start at $500-520

• torquer

A year ago who could have predicted that the most exciting thing coming from AMD in 2017 would be CPUs?

• DancinJack

Pretty much everyone? Even if you don’t count THRRRRRRRRRRREADRIPPER, Zen was still coming with a lot of opportunity to be great. I still think Zen, in its entirety, is far more exciting than Vega/whatever GPU they could have come out with this year.

• torquer

Considering no one knew anything about Ryzen a year ago other than rumors, I’m going to say no not everyone would have guessed. Hoped maybe.

• DancinJack

[url<]https://techreport.com/review/30540/amd-gives-us-our-first-real-moment-of-zen[/url<] I don't really agree with your assessment, but that's totally fine.

• torquer

Our calendars may be different but mine says a year ago was May 2016, not August

• chuckula

Keller Says: It’s 2014 ZEN UP!
            [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOTFE7sJY-Q[/url<] [Funny part about that video isn't Zen (which actually tracks pretty close to what Keller said) but the rather-missing-from-any-AMD-roadmap K12 that never really panned out]

• DancinJack

Goodness, 70 days off.

All I am saying is that there was WAY more opportunity for Zen to be more exciting than Vega/GPUs. You’re right not everyone sees CPU as exciting, but considering where AMD was coming from and going to, I think most would agree in this case.

[url<]https://techreport.com/review/28228/amd-zen-chips-headed-to-desktops-servers-in-2016[/url<]

• torquer

I was being deliberately poopy :p

• chuckula

Oh we knew plenty about it a year ago.
          We even knew most of the letters in its official name.

give it a rest

• chuckula

It looks like Vega will be a solid GTX-1080 competitor but the problem is that the GTX-1080 is probably not what AMD really wanted to target with a 500+mm chip that uses HBM2.

• pdjblum

meant to respond to the guy who lives to disparage amd as if nothing else in his live has any meaning

• chuckula

Dear usual suspects who didn’t even bother to watch what Lisa Su had to say but feel the need to reflexively attack factually accurate statements about AMD’s own press event: Please grow up.

give it a rest

• Pancake

Have an upvote.

The problem with TR is that there are more poorly educated, low-class users than us highly educated, tech-literate users with decades of industry experience. It is a society-wide problem. The Internet gives everyone an equal voice but the voices, inherently, are not equal in quality and wisdom.

• lycium

Wow, you’re so high class and wise! It’s totally self-evident in this post, so you definitely didn’t need to humbly state it.

If only we could be as tech literate as you, then we could fix this equal voice problem.

• Pancake

I am a multi-international award winning software engineer and have worked in fields that are of particular interest to TR readers i.e. graphic card drivers. I have made my mark and now write software to save the world.

I think more TR readers should – read. Absorb knowledge that is shared rather than blurting non-content emotional responses. Such as you have. Read. Ask questions, respectfully. Learn. Evolve. That is how healthy forums should be.

• Waco

I generally find his comments to be on point (and humorous) but the rants and petty trolling do get tiresome from time to time.

• w76

Virtue signaling overload

• ronch

Judging by the hand that’s holding that chip we can easily get an idea of how big that chip is. Kinda reminds me of the Pentium Pro. Ah the good ol’ days. It’s like 1995 (Pentium Pro) and 1999 (Athlon K7) all over again except most of us don’t play DOS games and motherboard makers don’t ship their stuff in plain white boxes anymore.

• torquer

Those were the days 🙂

• blastdoor

You know you’ve got a competitive market when you see big dies for less than $1,000.

• jts888

Any word on ECC/buffered DDR4 support yet? It would be nice if they had some actual server-level features given that the prices have a strong chance of reaching the ~$1k point.

• chuckula

I’d settle for a Threadripper price plan and a launch date.

Considering they announced that Vega is the end of July, I’m not optimistic that Threadripper is launching at or before SIGGRAPH or else you think they would have said so.

• jts888

I’m curious what the hold-up might be.

The package for even Epyc doesn’t appear to use an interposer, and motherboard vendors are good enough at whipping out 4 channel, high PCIe lane count boards, so I wonder if this is about the chipset, validation and tweaking, getting enough golden Zeppelin samples from the fab to glue together, waiting for Intel to commit to pricing, or what.

Xeons and Broadwell-Es have become so weak a value at this point that AMD should have had an easy a time as they ever will trying to sell chips.

• chuckula

It looks like the first wave of Skylake X is definitely launching first.

We’ll see if AMD can beat the 7920X out the door. I’d expect the Threadripper to be out prior to the truly high core-count parts since those are using a different piece of silicon vs. the first wave of Skylake X.

One point… they could have announced a low low price point as a marketing spoiler since they already know what Intel is charging and there’s no way Intel is slashing its prices at the last minute after they’ve been announced. The fact that they didn’t do so is interesting.

• jts888

Were the SL-X prices real announcements and not leaks (subject to change) or “leaks” (subject to clickbait titles and stealthily retconned articles)?

• chuckula

The prices are official, it’s not a rumor anymore and AMD has had time to digest them.

It would have been extremely easy for Lisa Su to say: 16 core Threadripper coming this summer for only $999! [or some other attractive price] It would have been an extremely easy way to take some air out of the Skylake X announcement by simply undercutting Intel’s prices. Sometimes the things that don’t get said at these press events are just as interesting as what does get said.

• raddude9
            • chuckula

[quote<]What would knowing the price of Threadripper add to the equation?[/quote<] Yeah, so prices don't matter now. Which is why you ran out to buy a 6950X last year because prices don't matter and let's be real here, it's sure faster than an 8-core RyZen at multithreaded workloads and hey.. you just said that nobody cares about the prices of products when buying chips! Oh wait? You didn't do that? Guess what sunshine: Intel announced its prices on products that are probably launching [b<]after[/b<] your precious Threadripper. So what's the holdup with AMD? You don't have a real answer other than OMG NOBODY HAS EVER CARED ABOUT PRICE that you actually expect anybody to believe after the last 3 months of propaganda you've spewed? The difference between you and me is that I have these things called "objective standards" that are applied to both Intel and AMD. All you have are the usual AMD GOOD INTEL BAD nonsense that changes ever 5 minutes based on what you think Lisa Su wants you to say.

• raddude9

give it a rest

give it a rest

give it a rest

• pdjblum

i’d settle for you to give it a rest already

thank god Jeff is doing such a good job running this site that i continue to visit it regularly

i guess being a gold subscriber entitles you to share your hate for amd, which is truly hard to fathom, 24/7

how about focusing on positive things you can say about companies you don’t hate

• DancinJack

You might consider your own behavior, spamming these comments in particular, before spouting off against someone as well. There is precisely zero need for all the spam you just mucked this page up with.

I’m not saying chuckula isn’t persistent or that some don’t like his views, but you complaining about it and then acting like a child doesn’t help anything.

• raddude9
            • DancinJack

Did you see the part where I said it didn’t help? No? OK Cool.

• raddude9
            • DancinJack

You’re proving my point…

• Waco

Please stop the spam.

• torquer

A point well taken, assuming you get banned for spamming and threadcrapping.

• backwoods357

Watch the Vega release date be a soft launch / product reveal with no product stock available.

• just brew it!

I’d be very surprised if they don’t provide official ECC support (versus the unofficial support of the AM4 parts).

Support for registered DIMMs is less of a “must have” at this level given the quad-channel architecture. You can get a decent amount of RAM using 8 unregistered DIMMs.

If you really need the sort of RAM capacity that only comes with registered DIMMs, you can wait for Naples.

• JosiahBradley

Slides I saw directly mentioned ECC support.

• ptsant

ECC works on AM4, at least in many cases. I expect the support in TR4 to be much better documented and validated. We’re talking $400 motherboards here, so they better be serious about it.

• chuckula

I watched the livestream in its entirety. Lisa Su emphasized that the Prey demo was run using two Rx Vega parts.

Apparently some people in the live audience noticed visible tearing in the demo, which might indicate that V-sync/Freesync was disabled. ( [url<]http://www.anandtech.com/show/11476/computex-2017-amd-press-event-live-blog-starts-10pm-et[/url<] )

• Demetri

I could see tearing and stuttering on the stream. And why would they run dual Vega on a demo that the 1080ti can run over 60fps easily? This is starting to look like Fiji… or worse. At least Fiji wasn’t a year late.

• chuckula

I saw the tearing too. However, since I was watching on Youtube where there are numerous potential tearing sources I made sure to rely on first-hand viewers to make sure it wasn’t just a streaming artifact.

Frankly that warehouse scene didn’t seem like a super-intensive GPU workout but maybe the twitchy FPS gamers can give more context to that part of Prey.

give it a rest

• Airmantharp

Disabling V-Sync is a standard benchmark practice, and it’s probable that they couldn’t enable Freesync for their output pipeline to put stuff on stage- and they should probably have said so, because tearing jumps out at people.

• chuckula

Yeah but this wasn’t a benchmark run, it was a demo that was supposed to look slick on what is probably (at best) a 60Hz projector. They didn’t show FPS numbers or frame time metrics, and that’s the definition of what I would expect from a benchmark, and they weren’t trying to show a Vega Fast Ngreedia Slow side-by-side comparison either.

give it a rest

give it a rest

• Prestige Worldwide

Please heed your own advice.