QNAP TS-x77 NAS units virtualize with Ryzen

AMD's Zen architecture is finding its way into all kind of new homes at Computex this year. To date, AMD's Ryzen chips have mostly been found in PCs built by enthusiasts and custom PC builders. We have seen Ryzen in laptops, future Zen-based APUs, Dell all-in-one PCs, and now in QNAP's TS-x77 NAS boxes. The TS-677 is a six-bay model, the TS-877 can accept up to eight drives, and the TS-1277 has a whopping 12 drive bays.

The TS-x77 machines are available with AMD Ryzen 7 1700 eight-core, Ryzen 5 1600 six-core, and Ryzen 5 1400 four-core CPUs, all of which offer simultaneous multi-threading. Memory capacities range from 8 GB all the way up to 64 GB. All three models sport four Gigabit Ethernet jacks, with optional 10 GbE and 40 GbE connections by way of PCIe add-in cards. Two PCIe 3.0 x4 slots and one PCIe 3.0 x8 slot are provided. The x8 slot can be used for a graphics card for display output, transcoding, or hardware pass-through for virtualization.

All those hard drives can be set up RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, or 60 arrays to provide the necessary blend of speed, capacity, and redundancy for the buyer's needs. Up to four 2.5" bays and a pair of M.2 SATA slots are also provided for cache acceleration or a pool of high-speed storage. The product datasheet has additional details about standard and optional features.

As one might expect from machines with Ryzen processors, the TS-x77 boxes are capable of more than just serving up files over a network connection. The NAS machines can also host virtual machines or application containers, provide full-content search capabilities, and can be used in conjunction with IP cameras as a surveillance DVR. Centralized management features are available through the company's QRM+ and Q'center software suites.

QNAP did not provide pricing or availability information for the TS-x77 lineup, but the boxes' capabilities suggest pricing will be set a premium.

• Brainsan

About their graphic, I’m not really a fan of exploding file servers.

• chuckula

Samsung is sad.

• jts888

It’s a shame that even these Zeppelin-based mini-servers don’t seem to get their ECC and 10GbE functionality enabled. Zeppelin is eerily similar to 8c Broadwell-D (plus MCM support), but there’s been no sign yet of any kind of real SoC platform.

Also, the 2 m.2 slots being SATA crushed my hopes that any of the 2.5″ bays might be u.2 based.

• EV42TMAN

They don’t say what the virtualization platform is or if it supports multiple virtualization platforms. If I can load ESXi on one of these then I believe I found my home vSAN platform.

• mangoman264

They have their own hypervisor software running on it, so your VMs run on that platform from the NAS. Other QNAP NASes have the VMware seal of approval, but I think that’s just for VAAI plugin compatability for shared storage.

• Blackfell

IIRC, it’s a KVM based hypervisor. I have a much older QNAP NAS, and the virtualization function works quite well for a lightweight Linux VM running Pi Hole. Something like this with a bit more power and RAM would make a great replacement.

• Forge

It will not be ESX. More likely it’s branded and obfuscated KVM.

• cmrcmk

Who are these targeted at?

• Takeshi7

People with lots of money.

• emorgoch

Someone like me. I don’t want to have to build/manage an entire custom system that handles NAS functionality as well as light-weight server duties. But give me a solid, smallish form factor that can take a bunch of hard drives and manage the NAS capabilities for me, but then let me spin up VM to handle lightweight server duties (ie. Plex server), and I’m golden.
      My power consumption will hopefully go down (maybe only 10% or so, but that’s enough), and I get vendor backed support/warranty for the most important part while leaving me an area to play with.

My only issue is that it’s QNAP. I picked one up one of their ARM NAS units for my parent’s to use, and was not impressed with the ease of use. I’m hoping that either Synology or possibly Drobo brings in something something similar.

I guess should also mention the other real target: small and mid-sized businesses.

• cmrcmk

You make a lot of sense.

I looked at this and thought it was interesting but trying to do too much. At home, I have a very small compute budget and at work I have a pretty substantial budget. This just seemed to be no man’s land to me, but I see how it would work for your case.

• morphine

Another NAS user here. I have rolled my own, but having used some of these units (though not quite as fancy), the big appeal is that you buy one of these, and everything is already set up (and presumably tested) for you. Couple that with software updates that are hopefully stabler than you usual mixed bag of OS and application updates, and the value proposition becomes interesting.

I’m finding more and more that I tend to think of a “normal server” as something with a more flexible / customized setup. The rest of the usual (and sometimes unusual) capabilities are better left to a quality off-the-shelf NAS box.

• demani

I wish installing distro of choice was an option for these, because they really are ideal hardware (hot swap drive bays, etc). I run into bumps with Synology and assume I would with Qnap as well. Just a little too limited for some of the office uses I have, but if they had a full samba stack I could customize…

• DragonDaddyBear

I’d totally role one of these on my next NAS build. Sure, I can build my own crazy setup like I did this time but there were hiccups and the wife would rather I spend a few hundred extra to know it’s going to work, she can at least have an idea of how to use it, and I won’t be tinkering with it while she’s with the kiddos.

• Usacomp2k3

Maybe this will kick off the ECC memory revolution