Dell U3818DW is a 38″ UltraSharp ultrawide workhorse

Dell is a well-regarded name among computer types in general, but the company's display division might be its most lauded. There's a new UltraSharp ultra-wide monitor on the horizon, and it looks mighty fine. Say hello to the Dell U3818DW.

The U3818DW is a 37.5" curved ultra-wide monitor with a resolution of 3840×1600. The display is part of Dell's InfinityEdge series that the company labels "borderless" thanks to the narrow bezels on three sides. Dell says the display can reproduce 99% of the sRGB color space, and guarantees a factory calibration with an average delta-E of 3.0 or less. Interestingly, the company also specs the FreeSync-capable U3818DW for a 1-ms response time. There's no word on the refresh rate, so we figure it's likely 60 Hz.

While the image quality from the U3818DW is likely fantastic, this monitor's real purpose appears to be productivity. It has a built-in-KVM switch so that you can use the same keyboard and mouse on multiple PCs hooked into the display. The display also has the ability to send up to 100 W over a USB Type-C cable to charge a laptop or phone. If your device doesn't output video via a USB Type-C port, you can also use a DisplayPort output or one of two HDMI ports.

Dell tells us that the UltraSharp U3818DW will be available June 23 on its website for $1500.

• e1jones

So the same number of pixels as my existing pair of 2010/2012 24″ UltraSharp with slightly less screen real estate… meh. I’ve been contemplating something in the 27/28″ range with 1440/1600 vertical pixels.

The extra stuff is nice I guess, just nothing I need these days.

• Thresher

I really wish more monitors came with built in KVMs. Including gaming monitors.

External KVMs are a pain and limit your monitor choices.

• designerfx

Uh, have you never used synergy? You don’t need any KVM’s.

[url<]https://symless.com/synergy[/url<]

• Thresher

Yes. And it still doesn’t work as well as a true hardware kvm.

• LASR

Purely from a screen real-estate perspective, why this over a 40-inch UHD monitor?

• esc_in_ks

Has anyone used the KVM feature on the U3415W? Does it work well? I would assume this one is the same, functionally.

I’m curious how well it works and whether it works well with special USB peripherals like a Corsair RGB keyboard and mouse in a sensible way.

• Redocbew

I have two of them, and the built-in KVM is pretty nifty. You use the OSD to assign one of the two USB inputs to a display output, and it switches based on the display output that’s currently in use. I’ve had the same mouse and keyboard for a while now, so I haven’t tried too many different peripherals with it, but I haven’t had to mess with it at all since I set it up a year or so ago. It also helps cut down on cable wrangling having just a single USB cable between the display and the case.

• freebird

The review of synergy was pretty good and not very expensive, let’s you copy to clipboard of other computer(s), which is pretty cool.

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u9tYBGiNO4[/url<] [url<]https://symless.com/synergy/pricing[/url<] $19.99 or you can compile it yourself from github. [url<]https://github.com/symless/synergy/wiki/Compiling#Windows_64bit[/url<]

• hans

Sounds awesome except for the price, with the U3415 going for $600 on sale.

• TechNut

That is a good price! The lowest I have seen it in recent memory was about 550$ on a sale last summer. I picked up mine for around 800$ in a flash sale from Dell in December 2015. I cannot tell the different between 1440p and 1600p myself, so I would save the $$ unless I absolutely needed more awesomeness….

• JosiahBradley

When will the madness end. (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━ʎɐldsᴉp pǝʌɹnɔ┻

• chuckula

ʎonɹ ndsıpǝ poʍu ʇǝxʇ ɥɐs uo ǝɟɟǝɔʇ ou ɯǝ ɾǝpı

• curtisb

When they’re this large and designed to be that close to you, the curve is actually nice to have. I thought I would hate it too, until I sat at some demo units to play with them. I have five 27″ monitors at work–three are on bottom, and two are on top. I would replace the three bottom ones with two of these in a heartbeat.

• Krogoth

It is another fad that will die out as soon as the next display fad comes along.

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m kinda disappointed they didn’t go for more pixel density (better than average). It really is annoying from the graphics side that so few monitors on PC have embraced 4K… meanwhile, phones, TV’s, tablets, well basically every other panel would have at least has the UHD vertical resolution…

Heck even stinking laptops do better on pixel density that the average monitor.

This is a real amazing monitor… if it had 50% more pixels. Say 2,160 vertical?

We finally have the connecter bandwidth to do better monitor resolutions… lets see something more impressive for the original graphics platform.

• Froz

Usually you have your mobile device closer to your eyes. Honestly speaking, for me, 3440×1440 resolution on my 34 inch Dell is really enough and with higher DPI I would have to use system-wide scaling (which is still horrible at times in Windows). But I wear glasses, so YMMV.

And then if you want to game on it, you don’t really want to have too high resolution, or your GPU might have problems keeping up. Of course monitors like this are not primarily for gaming.

• sreams

Running a 50″ 3840×2160 display here. No display scaling needed. It’s the same pixel density as a 25″ 1080p display. Like having four of them in a grid with no bezels.

• jts888

I have a similar setup and am quite happy with it as well. It definitely requires a tiled window manager (e.g. DisplayFusion on Windows) to use sensibly though.

• End User

I’m a fan of 3840×1600. Lots of space and you don’t have to worry about display scaling.

I wonder if it is using the panel from my LG 38UC99-W. The LG has 75Hz FreeSync over Display Port.

• tay

Your LG has a curve of 2300R which is perfect. This Dell appears to have the same gentle curve. Can you tell the difference from 60 Hz?

• cynan

Or the less expensive Acer XR382CQK.