Adata unwraps its IM2P3388 industrial-grade NVMe drives

Adata showed off a whole batch of M.2 NVMe SSDs for enterprise and enthusiast systems at Computex at the beginning of the month. The company is back after just a couple of weeks to introduce the IM2P3388 family of "industrial-grade" SSDs. All IM2P3388 models are NVMe drives using the M.2 2280 form factor and are built with 3D MLC NAND flash chips orbiting Silicon Motion drive controllers. Adata is offering up four different capacities ranging from 128 GB all the way up to 1 TB. Sequential read speeds up to 2500 MB/s and writes up to 1100 MB/s are promised, though those high speeds likely apply to the largest model.

The industrial-grade label means more than having a PCB and flash chips that are as black as your soul. In this case, the term refers to these SSD's ability to withstand shocks up to 1500 G for 0.5 ms, 20 G of vibration, and humidity levels as high as 95%. Two models are available in each of the four capacities: a "commercial" variation that can tolerate temperatures from -10° to 80° C, and an "industrial" version that can withstand temperatures from -40° to 90° C. Mean time between failure is listed as more than two million hours, though Adata didn't offer write endurance data or random I/O specs.

All IM2P3388 drives draw up to 4.8 W at full boogie. Adata says the drives support TCG Opal 2.0-compliant encryption and have three levels of ECC. There's no word on pricing, though we imagine these drives will carry a premium when compared to similar desktop models.

• LoneWolf15

I seriously need larger M2. 2242 drives to come out. That’s the only size slot I have in my laptop for one, but I can’t get drives with the controllers, features, or capacity in that size.

• CheetoPet

I prefer to think of my soul not as ‘black’ but perhaps more ‘charred’ or ‘bruised’

• DPete27

1500G shock and 20G vibration. What controls that? Is that what it takes to shake the chips right off their pins?

• cmrcmk

Yea, I could see it being limited by the strength of the solder. I’m sure the real reason for those numbers is just the level to which they tested.

• psuedonymous

SMD parts are pretty damn strong. Rating boards for missiles and ‘smart’ artillery shells used to be a herculean effort of careful component placing, staking, and then potting the entire thing into a solid brick, vacuum degassing it (to prevent voids under parts), etc. Now, you just use a board with SMD components, and add a conformal coat if you want to take the belt & braces approach (or have additional environmental requirements for).

• chuckula

[quote<]Warning lights are flashing down at Quality Control Somebody threw a spanner and they threw him in the hole There's rumors in the loading bay and anger in the town Somebody blew the whistle and the walls came down There's a meeting in the boardroom they're trying to trace the smell There's leaking in the washroom there's a sneak in personnel Somewhere in the corridors someone was heard to sneeze 'goodness me could this be Industrial Disease?[/quote<]

• morphine

Whoa. Dire Straits lyrics is not something I expected to see around here.

• UberGerbil

Check out Guitar George: he knows all the chords

• chuckula

But it’s strictly rhythm. He doesn’t want to make it cry or sing.

• morphine

He built a cabin and a winter store, and he plowed up the ground by the cold lake shore.

• chuckula

The other travelers came riding down the track.
            And they never went further, no they never went back.

• UberGerbil

You promised me everything, you promised me thick and thin
            Now you just say “Oh Romeo, yeah you know, I used to have a scene with him”

• LoneWolf15

One of their best though.