Mionix’s new RGB LED keyboard lights the Wei forward

What's that? You say you want an RGB LED-backlit mechanical keyboard, but there just isn't enough choice out there? Please, then, allow Swedish peripheral manufacturer Mionix to suggest its first RGB LED keyboard, the Mionix Wei.

Spec-wise, Mionix is keeping the keyboard reasonably simple. The Wei packs Cherry MX Silent Red switches and is backlit with RGB LEDs. Compared to a lot of planks out there, though, the Wei has a slightly different look. The raised keycaps sit above a low-profile aluminum plate surrounded by a rubber base. As a consequence, Mionix's board looks a bit less industrial than other keyboards with floating caps. Since the Wei uses Cherry MX switches, the keycaps can be swapped out with some of Mionix's own colorful keycaps in Ice Cream (powder blue), Frosting (rose), and French Fries (light yellow) colors.

The Mionix Wei will be available starting July 21. In addition to the standard U.S. layout, the company is making the keyboard available with UK, German, Nordic, French, and Japanese key arrangements, though the latter two are currently unavailable. Stateside, the Wei is available for pre-order through Amazon for $159. Europeans can have their unique Weis through the company's site at 179€. Presumably some of that amount is going toward paying for the commercial above.

I appreciate the minimalism, but there are already similarly minimalist boards from several other brands at around half the price and with a stronger brand warranty backing up the purchase.

Filco
    Ducky
    Cherry ([i<]the[/i<] mechanical keyboard people...) Coolermaster ...to name a few

• synthtel2

I don’t even think of Mionix and CM as being in the same league quality-wise, and Mionix is definitely on the winning side of that. It isn’t a name everyone’s heard of before, but they’re not just another manufacturer of cheap junk. Their gear is solid, no qualifiers required (unlike Logi, Steelseries, Razer, and most others you can name). CM seems to know how to make decent keyboards and cases, but other than that, they’ve got a serious corner-cutting habit.

Fair enough, I guess you just have higher standards than me.

My CM Rapid-i mechanical at home is seemingly well-made, tastefully minimalist and was less than half the price of this. There’s zero flex in the base, no backlight failures in 2 years and the USB cable is detachable in case I n00b too hard and trip over it.

My previous DAS seemed to be of similar quality, though I sold it on because I tired of the MX blues and much prefer the browns.

Without trying to be confrontational, what makes Mionix so special? As far as my pea-brain can understand, the feel and quality of a mechanical board is largely down to the switches (which are all made by Cherry) and the sturdiness of the base, which in even the cheaper decent mechanicals is usually a big old metal plate. Features like backlighting, good quality laser-etched plastic keycaps and a braided cable are already included on several sub-$100 offerings so by contrast, the Myonix either does something incredibly special that I’m not aware of, or just looks overpriced amonst fierce competition – hence my original post.

• synthtel2

In keyboards, not that much. As far as I’ve seen the difference between $75-100 and $150-175 keyboards is mostly in attention to detail, and the more expensive ones could rarely be called a good value. My comment was mainly in response to putting CM above Mionix in general quality/reputation (as opposed to equal). In keyboards, I could accept them as close enough to equals (and CM KBs are definitely a better value proposition), but CM’s persistent “we’ll skip the quality if doing so helps our bottom line” attitude means I’ll never think of them as superior to a company with a clearer focus on making great products.

• Jellyfish

Special characters do not appear to be indicated on the keyboard, or any of the alternative keycaps.

• drfish

With regard to the mask, what kind of sick person does that to an Apple HomePod?

• RoxasForTheWin

As a proud owner of a Naos 7000, Mionix makes some quality gear. If it included a wrist rest and I was in the market for a RGB keyboard, this would be on my list for sure