Windows Insider Build 16226 gives users a look at GPU utilization

Microsoft's work on the Fall Creators Update continues apace, and new features are rolling out steadily to Windows Insiders. Most notably, Microsoft has added a tool that will likely prove useful around our offices and anywhere else users need a quick look at the usage of their graphics cards. The Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16226 will give users detailed GPU information right in Task Manager.

GPUs will now join the list of components visible in the performance tab of the Task Manager. For clarity, the 3D pipeline will be display as a separate component from the video codec engines. In addition to a chart for GPU utilization, the Task Manager will also display information on memory usage and drivers. In the details tab, users will also able to see per-process GPU utilization info. While there are many third-party tools out there that provide this information, it's hard to argue with the convenience of having it visible in the Task Manager.

Other changes coming in this preview build include a raft of new emojis, a few quality-of-life improvements for the Edge browser, and (be still, my heart!) a currency converter built in to the calculator. Additionally, Microsoft is refining its OneDrive Files On-Demand service. In this build, when apps attempt to download a file that's currently sitting in OneDrive, a dialog box will pop up letting ther user know what's being downloaded, and giving them the option to cancel the download or block the app from automatically accessing cloud-stored files.

The Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16226 is already in the hands of the folks in the Insiders program. The rest of us will have to wait for the Fall Creators Update to go live later this year.

• floodo1

Put yourself on the fast ring if you dare. I find it amazing that they will let major deal breaker bugs get released on that ring (i.e. microsoft’s own xbox controllers not working) and also spend so much time on mobile features.

Then again they do put a few cool things on there, which you get a LONG time before non-insiders, so it can be kinda nice (-8

• LostCat

It’s cool when it works. There’s some stuff in there now I really want.

• ClickClick5

If this works with perfmon, I would be so happy.

• Mikael33

Apparently this build is very buggy, I’ve tried twice to install (uninstalled .NET 2nd time as recommended) and this time I’ve deleted the windows update depositories as to make it download the whole thing again and I’ll see if that does it. I was getting an error before and it would revert back to my current build.

• LostCat

The update issues over the life of the Insider program are kinda legendary. I’m enjoying not messing with it anymore.

• Mikael33

I managed to get it installed and so far it’s doing okay, just was obviously tricky to get it to installed but I’ll be on the look out for things not working right.
        On the gaming front I noticed in one of the games I play(The Old Republic) which uses DX9(!!!) using the windowed fullscreen option along with gaming mode gives me dramatically more fps than in fullscreen exclusive mode, like a 80 fps difference but it’s a difference between 120fps and 200 fps, I was pretty surprised at that but it isn’t always a huge difference, the biggest differences occur in relativity unpopulated areas of the game, where the GPU load is lowest.

• adampk17

I like it!

• Sargent Duck

Emoji’s!

Now if they make RGB emoji’s, I’ll be beside myself!

• Beahmont

Shhhh! Keep your voice down! You don’t want to encourage these people!

• SomeOtherGeek

You can already do that with Process Explorer which IMHO is much more functional anyway.

• ermo

Not everyone is familiar with the (excellent) tools in the [url=https://technet.microsoft.com/sysinternals<]SysInternals suite[/url<]. For a better OOTB experience, this is a move in the right direction IMHO.

• SomeOtherGeek

Very true.

• Flying Fox

And sometimes it is simply not possible to install additional software (locked down environments), so having it out of box is cool.

• SomeOtherGeek

Also very true!

• dyrdak

Process Explorer does not require installation. Actually, while invoking the task manager triggers UAC prompt (in our environment), PE just works and probably more details. MS could also fix the plot scale for the network utilization – it just seems detached from interface max performance (I simply prefer % vs something arbitrary like 100kbps).

• jensend

Many locked down environments won’t allow you to use Task Manager anyways.

[url=http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/downloads.php<]Process Hacker[/url<] comes with portable binaries, and Process Explorer can be set up for portable use too.

• dyrdak

“For a better OOTB experience” – they’d (MS) stopped shoving their apps in users’ face. There’s nothing more annoying than sing-on to new W10 system – all this wait for stupid apps to load while “great thing” BS “screensaver” is trying to distract one’s perception of irrevocably lost time (x2 – as the next step will inevitably be removal of crApps).

• YukaKun

I don’t even know why you got some downvotes. The people that is interested in measuring “this stuff”, already knows of Process Explorer I’m sure, so for the same demographic, this new “feature” is no shock or even that nice.

If MS would have added a bit more than what Process Explorer already does (which is quite nice), I would have been surprised or even welcome the change.

It’s a very “meh” type of thing, at least in my case. And I bet for the 99% of the people out there is not even relevant.

Cheers!

• psuedonymous

Having the metric available everywhere, without needing to download something first, is useful even if you do happen to have procxp on your own box.

• YukaKun

And that is a good point, so here it goes in the form of a question: is that metric, as presented in that way in the default taskman, useful?

I always have a zip copy in either a pendrive, cloud (dropbox) and my smartphone, just in case. I don’t know why, but it is useful to have Process Explorer everywhere, just in case, lol. I does more than just “GPU monitoring” as well. This is just for the sake of the article’s argument.

Cheers!

• UberGerbil

If they were going to add a bit more, they’d add it to Process Explorer. Process Explorer, like everything from SysInternals, is the geekiest stuff. For things that get included in the base OS for the masses, MS starts from the SysInternals codebase and then de-geeks it.

• LostCat

I prefer Resource Monitor to Process Explorer.

• UberGerbil

I expect it’s derived from the same codebase with just a more user-friendly UI, in the same way Resource Monitor is.

• BoilerGamer

Power of the default, you can have all the extra functionality you want on a third party software, but you can’t beat people’s inherent laziness and compulsion to have everything they want built-in.