Cherry slims down the MX Board 1.0 TKL in time for beach season

In an odd twist of fate, Cherry MX might be better known for its mechanical keyboard switches rather than its actual keyboards. The company's steadily filling up its garage with a fleet of appealing clickers, however. The latest model in its lineup is the Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL, a minimalist typer of the tenkeyless variety.

The Board 1.0 TKL puts all the niceties one would expect from a premium keyboard into a small, space-saving design that measures in at a mere 14.6" x 5.9" x 0.98" (370 mm x 150 mm x 25 mm). Purchasers can pick between Cherry's blue, black, brown, or red switches. Cherry claims the board's key caps are laser-etched to resist wear and tear, and with full n-key rollover and anti-ghosting, the keyboard should be reliable and precise, as well.

Fans of RGB LED lighting might be disappointed that the Board 1.0 TKL doesn't double as a rainbow-colored flashlight. It does offer dimmable white backlighting and an illuminated USB port, however, and users can pick a model that omits lighting altogether. Cherry MX hasn't put a due date or a price on these new keyboards yet, but promises to support them with a two-year warranty.

• Anovoca

Am I the only one here that would avoid this keyboard based on the Font set alone? Maybe the picture just isnt doing it justice, but the text seems bulbous and annoying to look at.

I’m not keen on it but it’s a pretty common font used on dozens of keyboards. I’ve also seen [i<]far worse[/i<] on some of the keyboards out there.

• bhtooefr

Minor nitpick: Cherry is the company, MX is a product line. So, it’s not the “Board 1.0 TKL”, it’s the “MX Board 1.0 TKL”.

• hungarianhc

Can anyone recommend some of the better bluetooth mechanical keyboards?

• hansmuff

[url<]http://www.wirelesshack.org/best-wireless-mechanical-keyboard-2015.html[/url<] Not a bad list.

• Drachasor

If you are comfortable working with arduinos, you can make any keyboard a bluetooth one. I’ve not tried this though. There are undoubtedly other ways too. That said, it would make the keyboard a bit bigger. Thankfully though, at least most mechanic keyboards have a separate plug on the board itself to connect the USB cable, so you don’t have to worry about cutting and splicing or soldering to the keyboard itself.

• just brew it!

A bit of poking around online led me to this device: [url<]http://handheldsci.com/kb[/url<] No idea how well it works, but it looks interesting. I wish it was a little smaller; with how large it is there isn't really a good place to attach it to an existing keyboard where it won't be in the way. Would also be nice if it came in black. 😉

• TheLoneWolf

No media controls…

• YukaKun

It pains me to say that I agree with this.

I am now a scrub that depends on the multimedia controls. Specially for the player and volume. And they have to be dedicated keys; I hate to use “Fn” type of keys with the F’s.

Cheers!

• just brew it!

I always map global hotkeys to media control functions; that way it doesn’t matter what keyboard I’m using. For example, Super (a.k.a. Windows key) + Spacebar gets mapped to Pause/Play, and Super + Up/Down arrows gets mapped to Previous/Next Track on all systems I use on a regular basis.

Edit: And I vastly prefer a physical knob for volume control. IMO part of the justification for using a headphone amp is to put a volume knob within easy reach.

• Drachasor

Good idea, but I agree on volume controls. Those are always better with a knob, though ideally you want the knob synced to the volume so you can tell the volume at a glance or even feeling where the pointer is relative to min/max. Sadly that doesn’t seem to be a thing.

That said, I’ve always found key combos really clunky for media controls, since it usually means you have to look at the keyboard. At least I do, even though I can touch type. Just not used to hitting windows+other keys, I suppose. Ctrl and shift are not bad. Windows+Space is a bit unnatural though.

Honestly, I also like having extra keys on the left side that you can assign however you want. I really wish there were more key setup options. I mean, I guess you could always get some sort of attachment to do that. I think some of those exist.

I’d love to see a programmable keyboard with programmable LEDs that you could use to indicate various things. Then you have a keyboard setup so that Combo1 turns it into media mode (LED for that lit), then it is just spacebar to pause, arrows for prev/next, etc.

• just brew it!

[quote<]Windows+Space is a bit unnatural though.[/quote<] I've been using Windows+Space as my Play/Pause shortcut for so long, it seems [i<]very[/i<] natural to [i<]me[/i<]! 😉

• Drachasor

Well, fair enough. I guess if I am really watching something, I just prefer a single button so I can hit it very absent-mindedly. Though maybe I’ll give your idea a try.

I’m pleased that Cherry aren’t jumping on the abhorrent RGBLED bandwagon.

I like my white backlighting on my CM Rapid-i and also on my laptop, and they tend to be on minimum intensity for a soft-glow, rather than a OMG LOOK AT MY SHINY LIGHTING effect. Whenever I encounter any other colour backlights I can’t help but feel one of only two things:

1) I’m in a seedy club/bar and coloured lighting is used for UNTS-UNTS-UNTS-UNTS effect.
    2) I’m playing with childrens’ toys.

Cherry have nailed the aesthetics of this one and it looks even better from the side. We already know that the keyswitches are excellent, so this would be a no-brainer for me if I were in the market for another TKL keyboard.

• just brew it!

TBH I prefer high-contrast keycaps to backlighting.

I do tend to use the backlight (blue, not RGB) when I’m on my Ducky Zero, but that’s because the contrast of the keycaps with the backlight off is pretty bad in low ambient light conditions. On my RK-9000 I don’t miss the backlight at all.

I also wish the backlight on the Ducky’s Num Lock key would follow the brightness setting for the rest of the keys. It’s always full-on if Num Lock is enabled, which means it is rather distracting in a dark room.

• Drachasor

Well, if it is programmable and you can switch profiles with a keystroke, then I think RGB is a fun toy. It is a toy though.

Though, it would be even more fun if the keycaps could be recolored on the fly. I guess we’re a few years or more away from that though. Eventually I imagine we’ll have some sort of color e-paper keycaps that you setup and then can switch the displayed interface around. That would be pretty cool.

That said, isn’t a red backlight superior to any other color? It won’t hurt your nightvision and is easy on the eyes in general. If things are dark enough to need a backlight, then red should be the way to go.

Nah, night vision that would benefit from red lighting is way below the threshold of your monitor.

Red backlighting on keyboards to preserve your night vision is a busted myth. The backlight bleed in most monitors is enough to make your peripheral lighting colour irrelevant.

• Drachasor

Depends on the monitor and what you are doing then, doesn’t it? Also, there are other physiological impacts depending on light color. It might not matter much depending on monitor and viewing factors, but red doesn’t mess with your clock the same way blues do, last I looked into it. I am not aware of any study on this with LED lights on peripherals, so it might not have a big impact.

However, I will say that I at least notice even a single blue LED on a device if I am sleepy or trying to sleep than I do a red one. Blues are significantly more annoying — to me at least. White isn’t a lot better. So for stuff I might be using in the dark, I do think red is better, even if much of the time it might not matter.

It is true the monitor is going to also be a big issue here. Still, I think that blue and white lighting on peripherals feels a lot like

Hmm, speaking of which, I probably need to adjust my phone so the color scheme is friendlier if I am just waking up. Seems like my phone handles dialing down the brightness really badly.

• slowriot

This criticism makes zero sense when the RGB keyboards can just be adjusted to low intensity white as virtually all of them can be.

The RBG hate just frustrates me to such a degree because its precisely posts like this that come up over and over. None of it is a valid criticism because its about a strawman that doesn’t exist. RGB keyboards don’t just shower you in bright rainbows all day whether you like it or not. Their entire purpose is to be adjusted and customized to how you like.

I have three LED things (two of which are RGBLED) and I cannot accurately customise the colour or intensity so that any of them match. If they all used plain white LEDs I wouldn’t have that problem, they’d likely have been fractionally cheaper, and I wouldn’t need ***tty windows systray software running all the time solely to manage pointless colours that I don’t want.

• just brew it!

Plain white LEDs vary a fair bit in emitted spectrum too. Unless all of your devices use the exact same type of LEDs it still isn’t going to match.

Awww dang it. Don’t smash my hopes and dreams

(actually, two of the three LED lit devices have the RGBLEDs set to 0,0,0 – so I don’t honestly care!)

• Drachasor

I would think what you would do is set Green and Blue to zero on all them.
          Set Red to the lowest setting where you can see it on all of them. Then adjust as needed until the reds look the same.

Theoretically the outputs should change linearly for each point the red is increased. Take the highest one to 256 and note how much you increase it by (so if it was originally 20, then you upped it by 236). Up all the others by that amount. See if they look the same. Decrease them all by half that amount (middle color) and see if they look the same.

If so, then I think that indicates you have an good enough linear mapping for the reds. Repeat for greens and blues. Now you just have to translate any given RGB on one device into the corresponding RGB on another using those transformations you just figured out.

Matching it to white is going to be trickier. But now at least you only need to match one of your RGB devices and you have the mappings for the others. Assuming you don’t get an out of range error!

At least, that’s what I’d try. I don’t have any RGB peripherals, though I am looking at an RGB mechanical keyboard.

Or, I could save myself hours of work for a thing I don’t really care much for and just turn them off 😉

• Laykun

The real kicker will be the price.

• Star Brood

Yeah I’m dying for a 30 euro mech keyboard. I could give a shit about LEDs, just give me reliability.

This has has the smell of a €74.99 label all over it.

Their cheapest MX board is around €60 and that has no backlighting.

• Drachasor

If I am paying around $80 bucks for a keyboard, I feel that it should over the ability to program it.

• tsk