Shuttle XPC nano NC03U family moves to Kaby Lake

You may recall around ten months ago that Shuttle released a pack of NUC competitors called the XPC nano NC02U series. No? Well that's alright, because today we're here to tell you about the XPC nano NC03U series. The new mini-PCs are fundamentally unchanged from the previous version, but Shuttle's swapped out the Skylake chips in those for the latest Kaby Lake hotness from Intel.

The swap results in clock speed upgrades and potentially lower power draw across the range. The bottom-end NC03U model trades up from a Celeron 3855U to a Celeron 3865U, gaining 200 MHz in the process. The NC03U3 steps up to a Core i3-7100U from last gen's Core i3-6100U, earning 100 MHz. The Core i5-equipped NC03U5 boosts its Core i5-7200U a full 300 MHz higher than the NC02U5's Core i5-6200U. Finally, the range-topping NC03U7 justifies its price a little better with a Core i7-7500U that boosts all the way to 3.5 GHz—a full 400MHz higher than the i7-6500U in the previous model. Obviously, the new machines get all of the ancillary benefits that come with the new platform like a hardware-accelerated HEVC codec and 4K Netflix support.

Besides the new CPUs, these machines have almost no other changes. That isn't a bad thing, though. You still get a mini-PC measuring only 5.5" x 5.5" x 1.7" (or 14 cm x 14 cm x 4 cm). For peripheral and networking connectivity, there are HDMI and DisplayPort outputs, one each of USB 3.0 Type-A and Type-C ports, two USB 2.0 ports, Gigabit Ethernet connectivity, a card reader, and even an old-school RS-232 port. The machine can take a 2.5" drive up to 15 mm in height, and there are also two M.2 sockets inside—although one is occupied by the 802.11ac wireless adapter. Shuttle sells the NC03U series as barebones models, so make sure you grab a couple of DDR4 SODIMMs to stick in it.

The package includes brackets for mounting the little PCs on the back of a monitor, as well as an aluminum stand so that you can set them upright on a desk. The machines doen't appear to have popped up in the US yet, but Shuttle says that the NC03U should run 148€ ($169), the NC03U3 ought to be 334€ ($380), the NC03U5 will go for 407€ ($464), and the high-end NC03U7 should cost 534€ ($608) when they hit your favorite e-tail location.

• Anonymous Coward

Hmm, I’d like to see a i7-7660U on the options list. Iris Pro graphics, turbos all the way to 4ghz and maintains the 15W TDP.

• blahsaysblah

ASRock Deskmini 110W fits standard i7-7700, 32GB RAM, NVME only M.2, two 7/9mm drives, Intel CPU cooler.

• RAGEPRO

It’s also more than double the size by volume (0.784L vs. 1.92L), doesn’t have a serial port, and can’t be VESA mounted. Different products for different purposes.

• blahsaysblah

edit2: i found out, that my Noctua NH-L9i is notched, there is actually one direction, the heat pipe curve next to back ports(still OK for vertical motherboard, only having the bend at top is worse for cooling, per tests done by either DAN A4 or Saber Sentry SFF case folks) that it fits fine. Not touching the VRM heatsink but darn close.

You can buy an official ASRock VESA attachment for a few dollars from Newegg.

The is a version with a COM port (not H110, but Q1xx board). However, the is an internal USB 2.0 header(2 port) (which you can buy official attachment again from Newegg, case has the breakouts) that you could attach a USB to COM adapter to. The COM port breakout is on all cases also.

It fits standard Intel cooler, which is not that bad starting in Skylake time-frame. That tiny thing likely has the horrendous squealers that Intel NUCs,… use.

So you can pop in any spare CPU in there. And it supports active drive(m.2) plus local mirror(2×2.5″).

edit:
        6.10″ x 6.10″ x 3.15″ vs
        5.5″ x 5.5″ x 1.7″

gets you re-useable CPU, re-useable mini-STX board, re-useable mini-STX case. There are two asus and one GB boards on newegg plus several mini-STX cases.

I want to note, the VRM heatsink works with Intel cooler, but not Noctua NH-L9i.

happy owner, Deskmini, i7-7700, 32GB RAM, 960 EVO, 2xWD HDD mirror array.

• RAGEPRO

Yeah, I mean, I know, heh. I [url=https://techreport.com/news/32003/asrock-displays-its-trove-of-funky-motherboards-at-computex<]wrote about them briefly.[/url<] They're really nice machines and very impressive for the size. I'm just saying, it's quite a bit larger and ultimately serves a different purpose I think. To put it another way, I don't think the existence of the DeskMini in any way precludes or invalidates the existence of these products from Shuttle. Really I think Shuttle should skip the 2.5" bay on these to make them even smaller, but that's another discussion. 🙂

• blahsaysblah

It has two 40mm fans for CPU cooler… no no no no. no no no

no no
            🙂

I totally agree with you, IF the CPU had a huge passive heatsink. However, shitty air coolers suck.
            I can totally see a place for an appliance like you mention. But my first hand experience with Intel NUC says the NC03u is total fail. Just all compromises for no benefits.

• jhickman

> But my first hand experience with Intel NUC says the NC03u is total fail. Just all compromises for no benefits.

That’s funny, my Broadwell NUC has been rock solid for something like ~2 years? Runs 24/7 hosting VMs with XenServer. Fan still blows, makes essentially no noise.

Definitely wouldn’t characterize the product as a ‘total fail.’ Even if it somehow were, it seems to me to be pretty specious to assert that ‘because one SFF PC is bad, they all are.’

• blahsaysblah

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgi3HS0uczk<]Big Boy Pants[/url<]

• blahsaysblah

Uhm, just so others dont fall for this troll and buy a NUC,…

I had a Broadwell NUC, check the TR forums. It was a real one, NUC5i7. I did actually use it for VMs and software dev. work. It screamed any time it was asked to do something. The cooler is not made to dissipate 45Watts in a reasonable manner.

I dont know what 10 Watt CPU troll is using to run multiple VMs, but troll is strategically leaving out facts. Im sure that power envelope gets a ton of work done. The 45W, semi-capable 5i7 CPU i had was not meant to be in that case.

Same with the Shuttle and its two 40mm fans. If you are going to use weak CPUs, in tiny SFF, you might as well engineer it to be fully passive. Easily doable.

On other hand, if you actually read what i posted, i mean its only a few posts/sentences, for a tiny foot print increase, the ASRock Deskmini gives you standard retail CPU, CPU Cooler, mini-STX motherboard, mini-STX case. Pretty silent cooling for a 65Watt real i7-7700 that would run circles around anything the NC03 can give. Based on actual fact of me owning it. Whereas troll has been “hosting” VMs on a 10 Watt power budget. [b<]edit: really important, dual 2.5" drives, aka local mirrored backup array, for actual work[/b<] And the last statement is total troll bate/fake outrage/fake news/alternate reality. I didnt say that. I said if youre going to go small and make trade offs, at least do something nice for the user. Like if you go low wattage and tiny, at least make it passive. So to clarify, wow, you must be so proud of the big boy pants you're wearing, you made such a witty retort and used a big word too... Oh noes.

• tay

Are these DDR4 or DDR3?

• blahsaysblah

• Waco

Am I missing something? I see no serial port of any form factor…

EDIT: Nevermind, you can see it at the link. It’s on the side we aren’t shown above (which would be “down” on the vertical photo).

• RAGEPRO

Yeah, sorry, haha. I made that mistake in the last post too.

• spiritwalker2222

Dang, at first I thought this was a nice mini ITX case. Like the Antec 110 case I have, just wish it had USB 3 instead of USB 2 ports on the front.

• chuckula

Sorry, Mini-ITX is 6.7″ on a side so it wouldn’t fit in the case.

• Redocbew

It looks like there’s two USB3 slots on the front. One type A and one type C.