$399 Rift and Touch makes fun in the VR sun more attainable

Only a few months ago, Oculus reduced the price of its Rift-and-Touch bundle from $799 to $599. Apparently the company wasn't done discounting the Rift, however, because it's temporarily reducing the price of the bundle again as part of its "Summer of Rift" promotional event. During the event, stepping into VR with an Oculus Rift will cost just $399.

At this price, the Rift costs half of what it did just five months ago. That $399 price tag also matches the announced cost of Acer's mixed-reality headset. This move suggests that Oculus could be taking a bit of a defensive position as Microsoft and its partners make their its own moves into augmented and virtual reality this year. The Rift boasts better tech specs than the Windows mixed-reality headsets in a few key areas, including a 110° field of view compared to the competition's 90° FoV. The Rift bundle also includes seven titles including the well-reviewed Robo Recall. Then again, the mixed-reality headsets from Acer and others aren't for sale yet, so it's a bit early to draw too many comparisons.

The Oculus summer sale event doesn't seem to affect the price of the system's individual components. The touch controllers still retail for $99, as they did after last March's round of price cuts, and the sensor towers still sell for $59. Not all retailers are participating in the promotion. As of today, those interested will need to head to Oculus's storefront, over to Newegg, or to Best Buy.

• Hsldn

US only. I would by it for 400usd eitherwise.
    The first generation has its limitations but for $400 its ok.

• Laykun

They said the deal would be available in all regions. It’s available here in NZ just for a little bit more as it has to include GST (sales tax).

EDIT: In fact Canada does get the deal, it works out to ~430 USD, and it says in the statement that it includes tax and shipping.

• Flapdrol

Here in europe it’s 450 euro’s, only ~30 euro’s more than dollarprice+vat, could be worse.

• Vaughn

For the canadian’s on this site the deal is US only.

The best deal you will get from bestbuy.ca on this is $549 CAD

That comes with the touch controllers but no game.

[url<]http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/oculus-rift-vr-headset-with-touch-vr-controllers/b0008225.aspx?[/url<]

• jackbomb

But a VR sun won’t let me work on my monitor tan as I game.

• Thresher

Tempting, but still don’t really see a compelling reason to buy one.

Looking at the games, there isn’t much I’m interested in. As for other uses, meh.

I’d rather spend the money on a nice monitor.

Got (near limitless access to) a Vive, Own a DK2.

It’s still $400 for a low-resolution display with far too many cables. I was hoping that the consumer versions like the CV1 and Vive would offer enough resolution to keep these things going in the market, but when I see the limited (unimaginative) gameplay for a lot of the VR titles, and couple that with the still underwhelming, low-res, screen-door-effect visuals, I’m pretty confident that mainstream VR isn’t going to happen with this generation.

• Neutronbeam

Is it time to fall into the Rift?

• Duct Tape Dude

More importantly, it’s been over a year since the first-gen VR devices released. When are the next-gen ones being released?

• SlappedSilly

November, at least on the SteamVR side. Well, for the “SteamVR Tracking 2.0” base stations. I’m assuming the other 2.0 hardware will be out the same time.

[url<]https://steamcommunity.com/games/steamvrtracking/announcements/detail/1264796421606498053[/url<]

• psuedonymous

Likely one year form now, more likely two at the outside. For the moment, install base will remain low (even if you assume everyone who bought Gen 1 will buy Gen 2) so prices must remain very similar per-unit, but any upgrades today would be incremental. Better to wait, allow potential install base to grow a bit, and allow for integration of features that are not yet ready.

Obvious future advancements (though there are many more) are:

– Eye tracking for foveate rendering (current commodity eye tracking is NOT sufficiently performant for foveated rendering, only for UI usage)
      – Significantly advances in colour gamut and dynamic range. These are not features present in phone panels, so unlike the current gen repurposing existing production lines from smartphone panels to HMD panels is not going to work. This is a massive investment.
      – Wireless video transport. Current Wireless video addons (e.g. TPCast) are a bit crap. The TPCase for example is based on the 2015 vintage SiBeam WHD MOD6320-T/MOD6321-R pair, for instance), it’s going to take time to develop a solution that is sufficiently low latency (ever ms added for video transport is a post-warp latency hit, so must be compensated for by reducing your time budget available for rendering), without impacting image quality, and without issues like transmission blocking or requiring a large antenna array
      – Limited haptic feedback for hands, possibly wrists. Arms are right out due to actuator size, but something like Tactical Haptic’s skin-shift technique could be integrated into current form-factors. A cybergrasp-style full hand system is not going to drop in price any time soon, so like a braked spring-feedback system is the best that could be achieved for ‘grasping’ feedback in the near term, with the major barriers being expense and robustness.
      – Improved markerless tracking. I doubt inside-out tracking is going to be immediately useful for desktop HMDs (mainly due to the self-occlusion issue with tracking any other object, and the expense of the camera array needed in every tracked object), but adding depth-based cameras to existing outside-in systems (Constellation and Lighthouse) would allow for automated room-characterisation and ‘good enough’ tracking of non-hand limbs for body presence.

• lilbuddhaman

Sure does sound like a new version is coming…. possssssibly with a drastic change in software/compatibility that will leave the current Rift in a limbo of partial support

• psuedonymous

[url=https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-cv1-superseded-new-version-least-two-years-rift-2-cv2/<]Not for at least another year[/url<]

• wingless

For $400, I’ll buy it today! Facebook’s bank account will ensure the Rift will stay around for at least a couple more years until I decide to buy the next generation VR solution. I just want to play racing and flight sims so room scale is of secondary importance….I also don’t have the space for the Vive, as cool as that solution is.

Elite dangerous and Project CARS VR user here:

Don’t bother. The resolution feels so bad that it’s like staring at a 1366×768 laptop screen from a distance of six inches 🙁

For some of the less demanding games (budget cuts and superhot are good) VR adds to the immersion quite successfully. Both E:D and Project CARS are thoroughly hindered by the lack of resolution though, and I’m sure the issues apply to almost every game of those genres. For Elite, I struggle to read HUD text and I find that I’m unable to identify other ships by their silhouettes at a medium distance, even though it’s easy from twice as far away using an ordinary 1080p screen.

For racing games, you tend to focus on either an apex or stuff in the distance so you really notice the resolution a lot more than other games. It’s compounded even further by the cockpit-view cameras because the lower viewpoint means that the perspective squashes the visible track into even fewer vertical pixels. It’s like playing at 320×240 all over again, sadly. It might work for higher cameras, but VR is all about the in-car view, so the exterior cameras just feel really [i<]really[/i<] weird and wrong.

• psuedonymous

[quote<]For Elite, I struggle to read HUD text and I find that I'm unable to identify other ships by their silhouettes at a medium distance, even though it's easy from twice as far away using an ordinary 1080p screen.[/quote<] Both Rift and Vive use RGBG pentile panels, so have essentially the native resolution in Green and half that in Red and Blue. Change your HUD settings so each HUD colour has some proportion of green mixed in, and the HUD will immediately become a lot clearer. If you have a faster GPU (i.e. 1080Ti, Titan XP) using Supersampling will also yield perceptual resolution gains due to the reduction in aliasing of small objects.

Good tips but I’m a deuteranopic colourblind, so I can’t see green, and the cost of GPUs is currently prohibitive [i<]thanks[/i<] to the miners. Even then, throwing supersampling at it (as per the 1080-powered Vive at work) doesn't solve as much as I'd hoped it would, simply because you still suffer the screen-door effect and the extra antialiasing really only cleans things up enought to matter when you're moving your head slightly. I find myself squinting at pixels and then consciously remembering that I need to move my head very slowly to focus on (what is supposed to be very easy to read) text.

• tay

Interesting that the VR headset is worse for you than it would be for most other users. This is why AnandTech and so many other reviewers hated the Samsung OLED screens until they got to a ridiculous resolution where the lower effective resolution of pentile screens didn’t matter.

TBH, “can’t see green” isn’t quite accurate; In trichromats (people with normal 3-colour human vision) the proteins that detect “red” and “green” light wavelengths [url=https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/IMG/conesens5.gif<]overlap quite ridiculously[/url<]. Dichromats like me gain all the benefits of having 50% more red and blue detectors than most people, but almost none of the disadvantages. We certainly struggle with differentiating red and green, but (just as normal-vision trichromats do) we rely on the "blueness" of a green to help distinguish between the two. If you look at that link above, the blue senstivity finishes where the red peaks, so technically, the part of the visual spectrum I'm missing really isn't that much, it's certainly not one-third. Tetrachromats (only genetically possible if you're female) must have a field day with pentile displays. And by [i<]field day[/i<] I mean [b<]migraine-fuelled-profanity-marathons.[/b<] With Elite Dangerous, the biggest issue with switching the HUD colours around is that it makes the (already difficult) distinction between green and amber blips on the sensors into a total nightmare 🙁 [i<]I should point out that my observations are as a deuteranopic dichromat. I cannot speak for the "common" (5% of the male population) deuternamolous trichromats. Also, I'm going to edit down my edit to something digestible because although I could write a thesis on colourblindness, I'm well aware that most people find that that level of detail mind-numbing.[/i<]

• Pville_Piper

As an Elite Dangerous player you guys gave me enough reasons not to buy it now.

When I saw the headline I thought “Now’s the time!!!” but after reading your issues and solutions I don’t think it will be a good ides, especially since I only have a GTX 970.

Oh well, maybe by the time I upgrade my GPU (I’m thinking 6-8 months) maybe the new players coming to the market will drive down the price or maybe give better quality viewing. One can only hope!

Spend $400 on a 4K or 1440p screen; Elite’s antialiasing is pretty bad, so anything to drive the resolution up makes a decent improvement to your game fidelity.

I have downgraded back to my GTX 970 having sold all my other cards to the crazy Etherium miners, but it still runs 60fps 1440p at almost max detail settings. Just bump the shadow quality down slightly and you’re good to go.

o7 CMDR.

• Pville_Piper

Been thinking of doing just that… I have been running super sampling and max settings with very good frame rates.

Speaking of which, I started playing COD: Modern Warfare Remastered lately and decide to load up Battlefield Bad Company 2 and play it for a bit. I actually had to turn up the graphics really high and set the monitor to 1440p just to keep the frame rate lower 144 fps! I can remember when my GTX 260ti struggled with that game and upgrading to the GTX 560ti. Days along time gone that’s for sure!

See you in the black Commander!

o7

• wingless

I already have an expensive, G-sync monitor. I also just bought the Rift…

• Pville_Piper

Been looking at monitors lately and found a couple of nice monitors for under $600. A Dell and a Acer Predator. Both are 27″, 1440p, 144hz G-Sync monitors.

The Dell had a great write up in TFTCentral and has a TN screen. The Acer is an IPS. All very tempting.

Dell > Acer

Acer make some great products but their after-sales is atrocious and their quality control leaves a lot to be desired. On the other hand, you’ll rarely hear a bad word about Dell Ultrasharps.

• Flapdrol

Started playing elite since the humble store sale, with a dk2, now 150 hours in. Maybe I cheat by putting my head all the way back and then recentering :P. Only thing I have to really lean in for is the “mission critical messages” that don’t seem all that critical to me. Passengers wanting 2 tons of consumer tech to entertain themselves on a 1 jump trip…

I ordered this bundle, should be an upgrade over the dk2 in definition and comfort. And it comes with the touch controllers you need for over half the free stuff in the oculus store.

Hopefully this will carry me over until really high res headsets with eyetracking and foveated rendering become similarly affordable.

• Laykun

While the experience is a bit subjective I would recommend picking up a rift at this price to play flight and racing sims. While Chrispy_ is not wrong in his assessment about comparatively low preceived resolution I’d argue that it does not detract enough from the experience for it to not be worth it. Now that’s all up to opinion but I know, given my 144hz gsync 1440p monitor and my CV1 that I’d play Dirt or project cars on the CV1 ANY DAY over the 27″ monitor simply because the immersion factor the rift adds is like nothing else and I feel is the only true way to experience the game.

Bear in mind that I bought the CV1 on release for the full $599 or 699, what ever it was, and I likewise bought the touch on release at $199 and I very much feel it was still a good purchase. When you jump into something like Robo Recall or Lone Echo you become a little jaded on how crappy 2D flat monitor games feel in comparison.

It all really depends on how much that $399 means to you, if it’s not exactly superfluous cash then I’d probably wait for second gen a year from now, but if it’s burning a hole in your pocket I’d say go for it.

Kinda makes me wonder about long-term viability. The Vive hasn’t had this kind of aggressive price cutting, which makes me think Facebook is having a hard time moving the Rift.

• Alexko

To be fair, geological features aren’t known for their ease of transport.

ha! +3

• psuedonymous

HTC are reliant on hardware sales to make a profit (and they sure aren’t getting any profits from their Smartphone division). Oculus are both getting some extra cash from sales via their store, and able to bleed money out of the Facebook money pile for the next few years.
      It’s also a marginally cheaper design in BoM terms: the on-device tracking points are LEDs rather than photosensors (with no amplifiers or timing circuits required as with Lighthouse), and a solid-state sensor in a webcam is VASTLY cheaper than any mechanical setup like the rotary laser basestations of Lighthouse. High speed moving optics are just inherently uncheap, which is why everyone avoids them whenever possible in favour of a solid-state solution (e.g. OIS vs EIS). The BoM price difference is nowhere close to the retail price difference though.

• brucethemoose

Valve isn’t quite Facebook, but they have a large pile of cash to burn through too.

• Mr Bill

The gap between performance and price is getting deeper and wider.

• Fieryphoenix

Amazon too.

• Anovoca

Yikes, If I didn’t just drop a G on a new couch I would be all over that.