TR BBQ XIV: Last call, folks!

Okay boys and girls, I'm going to keep this very simple. The TR BBQ XIV is tomorrow, and if you have even a snowball's chance in Beelzebub's joint to attend… be here or be square. I'm already in situ (and plain loco after the intercontinental trip), laptop in hands, and mentally preparing myself for the horde of gerbils set to arrive between today and tomorrow.

TR BBQ XIV: Now with extra pretty

Our host Dr. "Colton Westrate" Fish has gone out in his fish-mobile to fetch two young gerbils that will be attending the festivities, and in a few hours I'll probably be joining SHOES in the careful (ha!) acquisition of fireworks to light up the sky above Lake Michigan. I wonder exactly how many of those we can fit in Captain Ned's potato cannon for a little extra kick in the pants.

About at two o'clock in front of me sits a big pile of non-descript cardboard boxes. You'd think that they contain a bunch of paper plates and napkins, but oh no, there's much better loot in there. What I'm looking at, sirs and madams, are the containers for Corsair and Tunai's giveaway haul. All told, we're easily looking at over $3000 worth of hardware here. If the world-famous meat cooked by the Mother of Ribs and Queen of the Barbeque zgirl aren't enough to get you to attend, perhaps the prizes might win you over.

How do you like them grapes? One of these might be opened at the BBQ. Only one way to find out!

Well, I've blabbed enough already. If you're looking to come, reach out to drfish in the forums and get your travel going. Over & out.

• beepboy

Let me know when you have a ‘smaller’ BBQ in Kansas City.

• drfish

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, we’re just friends hanging out. Start a thread, invite some gerbils, see what happens! 🙂

• anotherengineer

Hey anyone stopping by Oyu Tolgoi???

TR gerbils, beers and pizza at 7:30pm Mongol time at the Manlai pub if you are around!!

• drfish

Funny enough, the gerbils most commonly kept as pets are native to Mongolia!

• just brew it!

IIRC they’ve done some meet-ups in the KC area.

As drfish has already noted, the BBQ got started as a bunch of people from the forums just deciding to get together and have a good time. Yes, it has grown over the years, but it’s still completely organized and run by volunteers (and drfish’s family supplies the venue). AFAIK other than prizes for the bags tournament there’s never been any official sponsorship by TR (or its sponsors).

• the

I wish I could have made it this year (last year was a blast) but I got swamped with work. Not a fun week when your CEO passes away suddenly and you have to assist with those arrangements. Thankfully the services and internal memorials went without issue but that has left me without time to prepare for anything over this weekend.

• Captain Ned

Bruno:

I laid those down because the kids had stuff flying around the camp and I figured horizontal was a whole lot more stable than vertical.

That, and keeping the corks moist.

• jensend

Wish I could be there, but honestly if I had that money sitting around I’d be putting it to other uses. Plane tickets from where I am are not cheap.

• Kougar

Hope all the attending Gerbils have a blast!

• Srsly_Bro

I was planning to attend but I won’t be able to make it.

• anotherengineer

Just finished another tour in Mongolia. Wife wouldn’t let me go, something about haven’t seen her and the kids in over 6 weeks…………. 😉

I knew from the start that this weekend was a no-go, since it’s my wife’s bday weekend. Hopeful about next year, but we shall see.

• meerkt

Have fun, guys and gals.

• Dposcorp

Im gonna bring a spare iphone and face time random gerbils if they PM Me their number 🙂
    That way you can troll some forum members in a new and fun way. 😉

• Mr Bill

I sure wish I could come, just to meet my fellow TR members. Maybe next year.

• Duct Tape Dude

Every year I say “next year” but [b<]this is the year[/b<] that I say: "Next year, [i<]I swear.[/i<]" 🙁

• chuckula

Three lucky people at the BBQ will win genuine ThreadRippers thanks to yours truly.

Who knew that they’ve been around for years [url=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/Seam_ripper.jpg/1200px-Seam_ripper.jpg<]with the wrong name[/url<]?

• MOSFET

Hey give that back to drfish!

• chubbyhorse

If it involves anything to do with winning the corn-hole tourney…I’m out of the running.

• chuckula

Since I am probably the world’s worst cornhole player I vote that one of my ThreadRippers goes to the [b<]loser[/b<] of the cornhole tournament!!