Doom 6.66 update brings free DLC and a multi-platform free weekend

Doom came out in May of 2016 to almost universal critical acclaim, and Id Software has continued to update the game regularly since then. Today, update 6.66 drops, bringing what Id is calling the "ultimate" Doom experience. Along with several fixes to multiplayer and SnapMap, there are a few big things worth making note of. Most importantly, all multiplayer DLC is now unlocked for all players. "We've retired the Doom season pass and are making all of the multiplayer DLC content free to all players," writes Doom Game Director Marty Stratton. "That's three multiplayer DLC packs, which include nine of our best maps, three additional guns, three additional playable demons, new equipment, armor sets and more." That's on top of free features like bot support that players are already enjoying.

Also on the "free stuff" front, Doom is getting a free weekend across all platforms. For us PC kids, the free weekend starts on July 20—that's tomorrow—at 12:00 PM Eastern Time. Xbox users can check out the game on July 20 starting at 1 PM ET, while PlayStation 4 players will be able to play on Thursday, July 27, starting at 12:00 PM ET. During these time periods, the game's first two campaign levels will be available for tire-kicking, and the multiplayer and Snap Map modes are available in their entirety. If you should happen to like what you see during this time, any campaign, multiplayer, or SnapMap data will be retained when you buy the game.

The team has also revised the multiplayer progression system. Instead of unlocks being a randomized dice roll, you'll now be able to unlock items through specific leveling requirements and in-game challenges. You can build your perfect Doom Marine instead of hoping you get the right chestplate next time you level. Longtime players will want to know that their levels will be resetting to zero. You can choose to keep your unlocked items, though, or reset those, too, if you like. Veteran players will be getting a special badge, and those who have reached maximum Slayer level will be getting their own badge, too. Also coming to the game with this update are an all new Runes system for multiplayer, an overhauled in-game HUD , and a series of minor imenu improvements to better illustrate player status.

Best of all, though, is the pricing to celebrate that devilish version number. During this free weekend, the entire game will be available for $14.99 US, including the campaign, arcade mode, and all that DLC and multiplayer content. That applies to digital puchases of the game through Steam, PlayStation Network, and Xbox Live. If you don't already have Doom, $15 is a steal. We'd encourage giving the game a shot and maybe even picking it up while you don't have to sell your soul for a copy.

• Mat3

I really wish this game had a mode that would just let you replay the big battles from the campaign without getting bogged down in the rest of the level wandering around looking for key cards to open doors and trying to figure out which way to go. It was OK the first time, but I don’t want to do that again.

• Vaughn

I was wondering why I had a 34GB download for this game last night when I signed into steam.

Thank god for 300+ Mbps connection.

• ronch

So does this update come after update 6.65 or they just wanna use the 666 reference?

• meerkt

Tradition:
      [url<]http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Versions_of_Doom_and_Doom_II#v1.666[/url<]

• DoomGuy64

Before anyone knocks the multiplayer, I can honestly say it works better than Quake Champions. Maybe Quake will work better after some patches.

• ptsant

The multiplayer did not feel bad at all. I even enjoyed it, but the problem is most people today have invested very long hours in specific multiplayer games (BF, CS:GO, TF2, CoD) and are probably reluctant to re-learn something, especially when the community is not very active in the beginning (chicken and egg situation).

• ptsant

Great game, the “feel” (smoothness, fluidity) of the engine is incredible and the performance is exceptional, thanks to excellent coding and performance optimizations (Vulkan etc).

I went to Witcher 3 after Doom and, event though the frame rate was very high, Witcher somehow felt “choppy” in comparison.

That engine should be used in many more games.

• RAGEPRO

VERY strongly agree. Nothing is fluid like an Id Tech game. Its so good.

• USAFTW

Doom has to be the most well optimized id Tech game out there. The second is probably Rage (after patches) and the rest the recent Wolfenstein games.
        Having an unlimited framerate option, though wasteful, is a big improvement for gameplay.

• tipoo

There’s a few games that are a mistake to play *before* the Witcher 3, lol. Mine was Bloodborne, going from the responsive combat in that to yelling at Geralt through AOL on a dial up internet connection while he takes your suggestions was an exercise in frustration. People defend it by saying it’s “realistic” animations, but come on, watch him jump or dodge, those are like Bethesda animations lol.

I can imagine doom would be worse, since it runs like greased lightning.

Not that TW3 isn’t a good game, I’m just having a time of it with the slow controls.

• ptsant

I agree! Witcher 3 is a great game, but not thanks to its combat. I took me several tries, tweaking settings down until I realized that the game was not running slowly, it’s simply feels less fluid, even at high fps.

• shaq_mobile

Has it been optimized significantly since release? It ran very poorly on my 3570k and gtx 780. Then again, I had to update drivers just to get past the loading screen.

• ptsant

I suspect the 780 lacks proper support for the game (OpenGL/Vulkan). Your hardware is powerful enough, but your problem probably has to do with nVidia drivers, not with the engine itself.

Granted, very few engines rely on OpenGL/Vulkan. But that doesn’t change the fact that it is (should be) supported.

For what it’s worth, it ran wonderfully with my FX8350 and a R9-280X. Your GTX780 is faster, so it should probably do better.

• anotherengineer

so the ID Tech 6 game engine…..interesting

[url<]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_6#Games_using_id_Tech_6[/url<] "The developers' goals when creating the engine were described as being able to drive good looking games running at 1080p on 60 fps but also reintroduce real-time dynamic lighting which was largely removed from id Tech 5"

• synthtel2

It doesn’t say when that free weekend ends, precisely? I hear it’s a big download. If it’s 40 gigs (I have no idea) and I start downloading tomorrow, throttling to half speed during the day so the connection isn’t entirely useless for other stuff, I could have the download done by approximately Monday.

I’m moving soon and there’ll be decent internet where I’m going (two cablecos in town). Yay.

• biffzinker

Looks like the Steam store page needs a update for system requirements cause it’s occupying more than the listed 55 GB.

DOOM is now consuming 66.9 GB (71,849,507,654 bytes) compared to the previous 79.97 GB. The update downloaded 34.7 GB.

• Yan

I’m having a similar problem. The way it’s going, I may finish downloading just about the time the free period is over.

• rudimentary_lathe

I’m 6 hours into the single player and thoroughly enjoying it. Brings back memories of the original DOOM. The gameplay under Vulkan is outstanding. I’m running a 4GB RX 480 @1300MHz and its buttery smooth. Kudos to the developers.

• kvndoom

Sadly, there is zero single player DLC. I enjoyed the campaign immensely and still wait for more.

• biffzinker

I’m sure ZeniMax Media would be willing to up sell you on the next DOOM sequel at $59.99 for more single player.

• kvndoom

Most likely, and that’s why I’m a bit miffed about the whole deal. Less so the $60 than having to wait for a full sequel in 2 or 3 years, or possibly never (I’m looking at you, Valve) to further a story.

It only gets better, too.

id are simply the masters of satisfyingly accurate, tight and precise controls that make me feel like I *am* the Doom guy. Almost all other games suffer from imprecise control, some input lag, or just shonky collision detection and model bounding boxes. They’re still fun regardless of these issues but I don’t feel as immersed in the game as I do with id games. Even the widely-panned “Rage” was enjoyable for me, because the mediocre story and game design was bolstered by great combat with tight, direct-feeling controls.

• liquidsquid

I very much enjoyed it also. It has been a long time since a game didn’t add more stress to my life, and this is a worthy outlet.

• DPete27

Try dropping it down to 1235MHz and drop the voltage to 910mV. Even at 1235MHz I was getting 100-120fps at 1080p Vulkan, high settings.

• rudimentary_lathe

I don’t doubt it. I haven’t seen the in-game FPS counter go below 100 yet with everything maxed out. Most of the time it’s in the 130-160 range (all at 1080p of course).

I have my card at 1075mV/1300MHz, and the GPU is maxing out at 105W. It came out of the box at 1150mV/1303MHz. I’ve had it as low as 1050mV but it’s not 100% stable, and I don’t want to push my clocks below 1300MHz. On the other side I’ve had it up to 1400MHz in the winter but in the summer at those clocks the fans have to ramp up and start making too much noise for my taste. This is an MSI 4GB RX 480 Gaming X.

• danny e.

needs more single player dlc.

I could not care less about multiplayer. I don’t have time to be good enough at any game to enjoy playing against teens who don’t have jobs. 🙂 No knock against them for being good.. just wouldn’t be fun for me.

• tacitust

Yeah, even when I was not much more than a teenager, I never had the dedication you need to compete in twitchy games like this. Hearthstone is more my speed 🙂

Super Nintendo games are more my speed anymore. Some need reactions sure but they’re simpler.

• RAGEPRO

If you like SNES titles check out a little $5 game on Steam called Demon Peak. Very SNES, but with a few modern gameplay sensibilities.

• ptsant

I find the lack of 10-hour DLCs at $20 quite refreshing. Don’t get me wrong: I like having more content, it’s just that in some cases you have to pay the game and $50 in DLCs to get the full experience (Mass effect, Borderlands etc). I always end-up buying GOTY editions because I’m cheap.

Anyway, I agree that we need more single-player content, even though the game isn’t exactly short. I would rather see a second installment or a major new “episode” with 20+ hours of gameplay.

• Kretschmer

There is a lot of player-made DLC content for Doom, of wildly varying quality.