Geil de-blings its Evo Spear memory modules

Some folks like their memory with large heatspreaders. Some like to go even further with colorful RGB LED-illuminated modules. Peacock-like DIMMs can add some flair to a certain kind of PC build, but not everyone seeking performance wants something so flashy. Geil's DDR4 Evo Spear memory kits are designed for buyers seeking performance with restraint. The company will offer single, dual, and quad-channel kits tailored for AMD or Intel platforms. The Spear modules' standard-height heatspreaders have a tasteful black finish.

Geil claims the Spear kits for AMD systems have been tested for compatibility with Ryzen CPUs. They come in five speed grades ranging from 2133 MT/s all the way up to 3200 MT/s. Individual 8 GB, 16 GB, and 32 GB modules will be available, though 3200 MT/s sticks top out at 16 GB. The 3200 MT/s dual and quad-channel kits are made of different combinations of 4 GB and 8 GB modules, but slower kits assembled from 16 GB DIMMs are also available.

The Intel kits start at the same 2133 MT/s base rate, but Geil will offer seven different speed grades for the blue team, topping out at 3466 MT/s. As with the AMD-specific Spear memory, the highest speed grade is not available in the largest capacity.

Geil didn't provide pricing information for the DDR4 Evo Spear memory modules, but TechPowerUp says bling-averse builders of standard-sized and mini-ITX systems can expect to find the memory on shelves by the end of July.

• ronch

Much better.

• albundy

they are assuming that those speeds will be supported with future AGESA bios updates. good luck even getting to 3200mhz on non-sammy b-die these days. hopefully 1.0.0.6 isnt the last update for first gen ryzen.

• Goty

I’m running some Hynix-based Corsair Vengeance LPX and I can hit 3200 MHz at 1.4v and slightly retarded timings using a BIOS w/ AGESA 1.0.0.6, and the Hynix ICs have been some of the worst ICs to deal with. The memory situation for Ryzen has never been quite so dire as some have believed.

I finally understand the stupid bling RGBLED industry now.

It’s not that people want it all the bling but that if they saturate the market with rainbow-lit, chintzy junk [b<]then they can charge extra for the tastefully-restrained stuff.[/b<] Genius, I'm sure that's what this is! (/s) for you 'muricans.

• BurntMyBacon

This would have me ROFLMAO if it weren’t 85% likely to be true.

————————————————————————————-
      93% of all statistics are completely made up on the spot. <–Including this one ;’)

• chuckula

Would buy for an X299 board for at least two reasons:

1. NO BLING!
    2. My love of irony in using RyZen branded memory on an Intel motherboard.

• moose17145

I would assume the RyZen branded kits only come in dual channel, so you would have to buy at least two of those kits for a x299 platform and it’s four memory channels (well… I mean I suppose you wouldn’t HAVE to… but… you know… )

• just brew it!

TBH I tend to buy individual sticks anyway unless there’s a significant discount for the kit. If you buy a kit, you typically need to send the whole kit back for RMA if you have one bad stick. Found that out the hard way with a dual-channel kit several years ago. Instead of being able to limp along with one stick and half the RAM until the replacement arrived, I was dead in the water.

• LauRoman

I do buy single sticks, but either 2 or 4 or whatever multi-channel option there is. I usually found the sale to be on singles rather than kits, in the stores i buy at. Probably moose17145 meant something similar?

• JustAnEngineer

That Core i7-7740X that Chuckula’s been pushing only needs two DIMMs to maximize its capabilities.
        [url<]https://ark.intel.com/products/121499/Intel-Core-i7-7740X-X-series-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz[/url<]

Bravo.

I think that’s the same sort of bird-flipping satisfaction I had from buying an [i<]SLI-certified[/i<] motherboard, and then using a pair of AMD GPUs and not even using CrossFire when I could. Just 'cause they print X on the label doesn't mean I'm not going to do Y with it.

• just brew it!

I’ve been installing Linux on “Certified for Windows Vista/7/8/etc.” motherboards for years. 😉

• juzz86

Funnily enough, 32GB of 14-14-14 3200 Ryzen-branded G.Skill Flare here is 50 bucks cheaper than 32GB of 16-18-18 3200 unbranded G.Skill Trident.

The mind boggles.

• jihadjoe

Intel CPU, AMD RAM and Nvidia GPU?
      Might as well throw in a Samsung SSD and run OSX on it!