Microsoft and Johnson Controls put Cortana in a thermostat

Google bought its way into home thermostats by snapping up Nest Labs for a whopping $3.2 billion back in 2014. Microsoft is taking a different approach to home temperature regulation by partnering with Johnson Controls on the GLAS smart thermostat. The companies unveiled the fruits of their labor in a YouTube video.

GLAS is powered by Redmond's Windows 10 IoT Core operating system, and it can monitor temperature, air quality, and the presence of people in the room. The thermostat can be controlled by Cortana voice services commands. The brains of GLAS run on Microsoft's Azure IoT cloud services.

GLAS is a fitting name, given the minimalisitc aluminum-and-glass aesthetic of the thermostat. The prominent LCD panel bears a touch-screen interface that looks to offer a clear presentation and simple controls. The GLAS thermostat is part of Microsoft's new campaign to get Windows and Cortana into a broad range of connected devices. The company has already partnered with Harmon Kardon on the Invoke Cortana-enabled speaker, but will have to work hard to overcome Amazon's head start in voice-enabled consumer electronics. Neither company provided any details about a price or street date for GLAS.

• confusedpenguin

Oh yay. Now the NSA datacenters can store my climate preferences too. I like it when big brother knows everything about me. I’m ready to be a willing slave, and confirm my status as a world citizen, because I need to be taken care of and protected by rogues who are against technocracy because I can’t take care of or protect myself. Hey Cortana, call the homeowners association. The neighbors forgot and left their garbage can in their driveway in plain view and it upsets the aesthetic mood of the neighborhood.

• kamikaziechameleon

While I can see the commercial applications for this sort of tech… and in the odd instance the use in a private residence. But at large, I’m generally not a fan of over complicating things and this seems to be tech for tech’s sake if they expect an average consumer to buy it, an average consumer will see no benefit from it.

Its like bloatware. Or as another person said, a solution looking for a problem.

• LoneWolf15

Soooo…It’ll sell your data to natural gas providers and be discontinued 2-3 years from now because it entered into an already innovated market as a “me too” product?

P.S. Very happy with my Emerson Sensi.

• joselillo_25

So microsoft needs and aliance with another multibillion dollar company to make a digital termostat. impresive.

• albundy

sorry, i’m a honeywell fan.

• LostCat

Can I get you in my room and turn you on? It’s hot in here.

• DoomGuy64

Really. How necessary is this? Disregarding security vulnerabilities, bugs, monthly service charges, vendor lock-in, and internet connectivity, is there even a demand?

Seems more like a solution in search of a problem, and of course great for data mining services. Data mining / vendor lock-in is probably even the main function. Thermostat control is just secondary. No thanks.

• LoneWolf15

It’s more a “me too” thing since Microsoft has gone from being an innovative company to copying an idea, but only once it’s been done by two or more competitors to ensure viability, and so if the idea fails they can blame it on market saturation rather than not producing a superior product

• cygnus1

[quote<] The brains of GLAS run on Microsoft's Azure IoT cloud services. [/quote<] So how much functionality of this thermostat stops working when the internet is down or Azure has a problem? Cloud dependent thermostat doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

• bthylafh

Or, as some Nest owners have discovered, when the developers make a firmware change without thinking it through: earlier firmwares didn’t need the common pin to be connected, but an update caused the Nest to draw more power, which caused units without common to fail.

I do not trust Microsoft to do proper QA any longer.

• Neutronbeam

“it can monitor . . .the presence of people in the room.’ Nope, not creepy all. Just what I want SkyNe, er, my house to be doing.

• nanoflower

How many businesses already have lights that detect when people are in the room or not? (Though they often get it wrong if the people aren’t moving around regularly which is probably going to be the same for GLAS.)

• biffzinker

Are you referring to a motion sensor for controlling overhead CFL fixtures?

• GrimDanfango

And that too would be horrifying *if* those motion sensors were connected to the internet, and provided by a company who was pushing towards massive data mining operations.

Generally, they’re only connected to some light fittings though.

• Voldenuit

Samsung counters with a Bixby-enabled toilet that activates every time the toilet seat is moved or detects pressure on it.

• lmc5b

And keeps track of how often you use the toilet and for how long, to better target ads to you.

• LoneWolf15

And has a Squatty Potty app to ensure you are using the optimal #2 position

• Voldenuit

Is the optimal position Butter’s position (sitting backwards facing the tank)?

• bthylafh

DO NOT WANT

• blahsaysblah

OK

• biffzinker

A simple “No Thank You” would of worked as well, or is that to polite of a response?

• BurntMyBacon

NO THANK YOU!!!

Is that polite enough?

• Shobai

Would have*

• lilbuddhaman

its “Cortana, DO NOT WANT”

• anotherengineer