Corsair Lighting Pro Expansion Kit lets builders turn up the lights

Corsair's Lighting Node Pro gave builders the ability to drive the company's strips of individually-addressable RGB LEDs. While 40 LEDs in a system might be enough for some people, those looking to expand their PC disco party can now add more lights without buying a whole Node Pro kit. Corsair's RGB LED Lighting Pro Expansion Kit comes with four additional LED strips and extension cables to allow placement anywhere inside a standard-sized PC case.

Each of the four light strips has 10 individually-addressable RGB LEDs on a flexible backing that can magnetically attach to ferrous parts. The strips are compatible with Corsair's Lighting Node Pro lighting kit and Commander Pro lighting and thermal monitoring set, both of which work with the company's Link software.

Corsair backs the RGB LED Lighting Pro Expansion kit with a two-year warranty. The kit sells for $40 on Corsair's online store. The kit is listed for the same price at Amazon, but is currently out of stock. Prospective buyers that don't already have a Corsair Lighting Node Pro or fancier Commander Pro kit can pick up the Node Pro kit on sale today for $50.

• demani

Can these be tied to work as a thermometer of sorts? Set one strip as an activity monitor and another to shift from green to red when the system hits a certain temp?

Didn’t the BeBox have activity monitors on the front like that?

• DragonDaddyBear

I think they are working on an SDK so you can do stuff like that.

• juzz86

NZXT Cam does what you ask. Link doesn’t yet, I don’t think. Can choose CPU, GPU or FPS.

• Drachasor

Seems like it would be more practical to have some sort of small screen to display such information on it. I don’t know about anyone else, but I don’t actually put my computer in a position where I would be glancing at all the pretty lights to check temps.

That said, I can see how it would be cool if you had the lights setup so that their positioning and color indicating the individual temperatures of different components. Maybe even other factors too — makes you kind of wish we could see polarized light or a fourth and/or fifth color or something. Having Red indicate temperature and other colors indicate other things (like clock speed or fan speed) usually wouldn’t be clear enough. Or maybe I just haven’t spent enough time looking at colors and their corresponding RGB rating.

• Redocbew

[quote=”SlappedSilly, in another story”<]Is it really happening? Are we past peak RGB?[/quote<] I guess not.

• RedBearArmy

So much bling. Very Festive.

How come washing mashines don’t come with RGBs yet ?

• DragonDaddyBear

Give it a few years when the tweens finally move out and need to buy their own.

• Drachasor

I think we’ve this RGB stuff going on for more than 10 years.

Though, I think I’m going to start calling it #Pride rather then RGB. 🙂

• SomeOtherGeek

Shh, don’t give people ideas!

• albundy

you remember that movie where the guy puts up massive amounts of incredibly annoying christmas lights and people make fun?

• DragonDaddyBear

It’s up to a matter of taste (or lack of it) if you like RGB’s or not. At least Corsair is working on getting it all in one interface, or so the rep told me at the BBQ (he said they publicly announced it at Computex(?)). So, good on them, I guess.