Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 64 is ready for takeoff

In my personal experience, the centrifugal fan atop the reference-version Radeon RX 480 card was a step up from the shrieking banshee that AMD once strapped to the Radeon R9 290X. (That card did spawn some hilarious memes, though.) That's to say I expect the blower cooler on the Radeon RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64 to be pretty tolerable. Still, some folks just dislike that concept altogether. Fortunately for those, Asus has already announced the ROG Strix RX Vega 64 and its trio of fans.

As usual, Asus will be releasing two versions of the ROG Strix RX Vega 64: a standard version and an OC version. Both models appear to be identical save presumably for their clock rates, which are listed as "TBD." The output cluster packs two DisplayPort 1.4 outputs, two HDMI 2.0 connectors, and an old-school DVI-D port. Both cards also come with the standard 8 GB of memory that we're likely to see on every Vega part.

Speaking of other Vega parts, Asus also mentioned that it will be shipping reference-model cards. Both air-cooled and water-cooled versions will be coming from the A-team, and Asus will be among the few companies selling the limited-edition RX Vega 64 air-cooled cards with a silver shroud. Those cards will have a single HDMI port and three DisplayPort connections.

The critical piece of information that Asus didn't share with us is the pricing for these cards. We'd expect price for the ROG Strix Vega cards to go for a premium above the reference air-cooled cards. In any case, Asus says all four of these cards will be available by early September.

• moshpit

Yeah, make fun of the R9 290X, meanwhile some of us remember the REAL video card dust buster…

[url<]https://techreport.com/r.x/2009_3_2_A_trip_down_memory_lane/dustbuster.jpg[/url<]

• DPete27

Wow, that’s a STUPID design. Pull intake from right beside the exhaust…jeez.

• Mr Bill

The exhaust has some velocity and inertia, I doubt it hurts the cooling much.

• EndlessWaves

Meanwhile this was the cooling system the competing AMD card was beating it with:

[url<]https://techreport.com/r.x/radeon-9800pro/9800-top1.jpg[/url<] How power use has grown huh?

• drfish

…and funny how the shoe has switched feet over the years too.

• crabjokeman

“Dustbuster” makes me think of Chevy Lumina minivans.

I remember sitting next to one of those at a LAN party.

The amusing thing was that I had a 9700 Pro in my machine providing vastly superior UT2003 performance without making all that racket, and I’d bought it on discount because it was no longer a recently-launched product either.

• DPete27

I’d like to try a blower-style cooler, but I’m haunted by the horrible blower coolers of yore.

• Kretschmer

The 1080Ti blower is pretty good. I bought a FE to exhaust properly from my mITX case.

Any “founders edition” cooler is pretty decent.

I know people hate blowers but I feel that as the TDP of a board increases, the more important it is to dump that heat directly outside of the case, rather than having it recirculate inside. There’s no point in having a quiet GPU cooler if you need lots of case fans running at audible RPMs just to stop the GPU from cooking everything else.

• K-L-Waster

This to me is the number 1 attraction of GPUs with integrated AIO liquid coolers: they let you have a 120mm or 140mm fan and still exhaust all the heat out of the case. Overclocking is secondary IMO, the real advantage is you can cool your GPU quietly without cooking anything else.

Of course, those models introduce other problems if you’re building an SFF system where space is at a premium.

• chuckula

[quote<]In any case, Asus says all four of these cards will be available by early September.[/quote<] This reminds me of a saying by Isaac Asimov about degrees of wrongedness. I think the example he used referenced that in a technical sense it's wrong to say the Earth is a sphere since its rotation actually deforms its shape a bit. However, while it's wrong to say that the Earth is a sphere, it's really a trivial error in comparison to saying that the Earth is flat. It's kind of like that with Vega. It's wrong to say that Vega won't launch until October 2017. But's it's a trivial error in comparison to those hot & heavy rumors that AMD did nothing to dispel about Vega launching in October of 2016.