Philips 326M6FJSB soothes your eyes with ambient lighting

Gamers are a picky bunch when it comes to displays, always on the lookout for a model that will bring their games to life for many years to come. Philips' new 326M6FJSB pulls together a number of features that gamers might find attractive and comes with a reasonable price tag.

As a 32" display, the 326M6FJSB will command a hefty chunk of users' desktop space. The IPS panel has a 2560×1440 native resolution. Its 5-ms response time and 60 Hz refresh rate are acceptable for gaming, if not as fast as some would like. Philips somewhat makes up for those limitations with the inclusion of FreeSync support and the panel's ability to display a wide color gamut. The company claims that the monitor covers 126% of the sRGB color space, allowing it to produce a wide range of vivid colors. The monitor has a DisplayPort connector, two HDMI 1.4 ports, and an old-school VGA port.

Philips also equipped the 326M6FJSB with its Ambiglow lighting. Similar to the Ambilight tech present in the brand's televisions since 2004, this system uses lighting behind the display that glows in coordination with the color and brightness of the image on the display. This type of ambient lighting can reduce eye strain and help users feel more immersed in movies and games.

The 326M6FJSB is available for sale now. Philips set the price for the 326M6FJSB at $380, but also arranged a promotional discount with Micro Center. Interested folks can get one shipped from Micro Center for just $300.

• Kougar

That price is truly amazing given what 1600p 30″ IPS displays used to run. I’d overlook the 1440p resolution if it just offered 120hz refresh…

• EndlessWaves

It’s nice to see prices of non-squinty monitors coming down, the price premiums to be able to have your monitor 20cm further away have always been rather high.

• liquidsquid

Us users in the realm of older-fart land need the monitor a little further away. I hate wearing glasses while on the ‘puter, it gives me a headache.

• Kretschmer

[quote<]Its 5-ms response time and 60 Hz refresh rate are acceptable for gaming[/quote<] 1) Has any non-exotic monitor been advertised as having more than 5ms response time, recently? 2) The 5ms GTG times (and any other manufacturer number) are notoriously inaccurate, when compared to the results of TFT Central testing. 3) The FreeSync range caps out at 76Hz, which would seem to be very relevant to this article. 4) Always, always point out when a display lacks LFC.

• DPete27

Help me out with FreeSync range:
    [quote<]Scanning Frequency = 30 - 83 kHz (H) / 48 - 76 Hz (V)[/quote<] Soooo, FreeSync range is 48-76Hz then?

Yep.
      I don’t even know why they list the horizontal scanning frequency. Nobody will ever see that unless they create custom resolutions, at which point they’re simply visible but still useless because they’re locked to the vertical refresh based on the resolution.

• Voldenuit

That would be a good assumption, though not always true. Some 100 Hz monitors for instance only have Freesync range 48-80.

But being able to run the monitor at 72 Hz is good news for people who like to watch 24 fps video.

• DPete27

It’s too bad they couldn’t extend it down to 40-75Hz FreeSync range. If that were the case, I’d be on this like white on rice.

If you’re talking about LFC the upper refresh rate requirement is no longer 2.5x the lower limit, and you should be able to get LFC enabled on this with help from the CRU utility, if not out of the box.

• EndlessWaves

Some also have different low ends, for example the 34UC79G lists 60hz minimum vertical frequency but does 50hz-equivalent for freesync.

• ToxicBreakfast

Ah, yes – Philips 326M6FJSB rolls right off the tongue in a pleasing way.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]Its 5-ms response time and 60 Hz refresh rate are acceptable for gaming[/quote<] What are we, peasants?

• tay

Yeah. Looks like a fine work and movies monitor. I think 100 Hz is the new minimum if you want to call whatever you’re selling gaming. I live close to a microcenter, but I don’t think I can justify this screen.

That’s a bit harsh. He said “[i<]acceptable[/i<]" not "[i<]the best possible experience[/i<]". I'm back to a 5-ms, 60Hz 32" 1440p screen after playing with 144Hz Freesync AND G-Sync screens, both 16:9 and Ultrawide. It's not quite as smooth as it could be but with modern drivers, frame-rate-control, Fast-sync it's pretty decent. More importantly, it's a good quality IPS panel at a nice and immersive 32" size. That's nothing to sneer at if you're sitting behind a 24" overpriced TN G-Sync monitor.

• morphine

Come on, it’s $300 for a 32″ 1440p screen with excellent color reproduction and FreeSync. What did you want, a free drink and fries included?

• kvndoom

No kidding! It’s already supersized to boot!

I paid around $500 for my 32″ 1440p BenQ monitor and I thought [i<][b<]that[/b<][/i<] was a great deal!

• tay

You forgot this one thing that I’d like included.

• TwoEars

Yeah, let’s just agree that gaming monitors are +100Hz these days.

So why do G-Sync and Freesync’s best benefits happen at less than 60Hz?

• Kretschmer

Because no one will sustain 100FPS in challenging titles. Even my 1080Ti doesn’t. Just as it’s beneficial to have a 100Hz+ display to run at 100FPS most of the time, GSync allows you to drop below your maximum refresh rate without jarring visual penalties. And you still see quite a difference above 60 FPS. When I had a 90Hz FreeSync display, I could really see tearing with FreeSync off at 70 or 80 FPS in some titles/scenarios.

• albundy

less than that. even vermin get to have better response times.

• EzioAs

In that case, at least I am one.

• Neutronbeam

That is a heck of deal. Tempted.

• Klopsik206

I am curious about in-depth reviews, but in the first glance it looks tempting indeed:
      – IPS
      – wide color gamut
      – High res > Full HD
      – Feesync
      – 32″
      for $380 looks interesting.

My doubt is the pixel density at this size.
      1920×1080@24″ (I currently own) is exactly the same 2560×1440@32″.
      Would be nice to move to a bit more towards “retina” density 😉

• Waco

Ambilight, when properly tuned, looks freakin’ amazing.

Agreed.

I played through [url=http://thatgamecompany.com/games/journey/<]Journey[/url<] (amazing little indie game, btw) on the PS3 at a friend's house and it works so well with his Philips Ambilight TV that evening; Darkened room required, ofc