Samsung Galaxy S8 Active goes outdoors

Samsung's flagship Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ smartphones are already resistant to water and dust intrusion. The company is now set to release the Galaxy S8 Active for folks who need extra impact protection on their S8 to go along with immunity to being dropped in the pool or a less-pristine body of water. The most visible difference between the standard Galaxy S8 and the new Galaxy S8 Active is that the signature wraparound display has given way to a more conventional screen with larger bezels and sides encased in rubber bumpers.

The manufacturer says the buffed Active model can withstand a five-foot (1.5 m) drop without cracking the screen, though it warns that drops could scratch the body or cause other damage. The handset can also survive the same thirty-minute dunking in up to five feet of water that the existing Galaxy S8 and S8+ can endure. Samsung says the phone's "Military Grade" design lets it "tolerate 21 specific environmental conditions, including temperature, dust, shock/vibration, and low pressure/high altitude."

The S8 Active has a 5.8" Super AMOLED display with the same 18.5:9 aspect ratio and 2960×1440 resolution as the other Galaxy S8 models. The battery on the Active model got an upgrade to 4000 mAh, up from 3000 mAh on the standard Galaxy S8 and 3500 mAh on the Galaxy S8+. The camera setup is the same 8 MP self-portrait snapper and 12 MP dual-pixel picture-taker on the back found in the other two members of the S8 family.

The Samsung Galaxy S8 Active will be available through AT&T in the United States starting tomorrow. Price for the phone is set at $850 (the same price as the larger-screened Galaxy S8+) though there will be a handful of AT&T promotional offers that could take some of the sting out of that price tag. The handset will be offered with Meteor Gray and Titanium finishes. For better or worse, Samsung's Bixby digital assistant and its dedicated hardware button are included.

• gmskking

Who isn’t active with their phone

• dextrous

This will be my 3rd Active phone. I really loved my S5 Active and S6 Active. I was worried they were canceling the product line for this generation, so this is good news!

• trackerben

They did put some thought into the casing, it’s less likely to be mistaken by airport security or flight crew for the ill-fated 7 designs.

• not@home

I bought the Samsung Galaxy S6 Active very shortly after it came out. I wanted the S5 Active because its price had gone down to $500 and it had all the features I wanted (waterproof, drop proof, a SD card slot, and a battery that would last at least 3 days), but when I went to the store they said they had just sold the last one. I turned around and started walking out of the store. The salesman did not want to loose a potential sale so he quickly said “I will sell you a S6 Active for $500!” I said “OK.” I should not have bought it, it does not have the SD card slot and I did not know that. I had only done my homework on the S5 Active. ANYWAYS, it has not been a bad phone. I had some issues with Google Maps not working for 3 months right at the beginning. That was fixed with a OS update after many Emails. I do really like the hardware buttons at the bottom for Home, Back, and Switch apps. The battery lasted about 4 days when I got it and now its down to about 2 1/2, even though I only ever installed 3 apps on it.

• alexwalter88

I also bought a Galaxy S6 Active right after it came out. I actually wanted the S6 Active though. As soon as I got it I unlocked it for free on AT&T’s website and have been using it on T-Mobile ever since. It has been an absolute trooper and I’m probably going to continue using it until maybe the Galaxy S9 Active. I can tell you that I have not treated it well, and it still works 100% and doesn’t have a single scratch on the screen. Just a few scuff marks on the bumpers. I have dropped it on straight concrete from waist height multiple times, I’ve sat on it, I’ve accidentally left it sitting in the sun, I’ve skiied with it, swam with it, and taken it in the shower to crank some tunes. It has never failed me. The battery life has definitely decreased, but it usually still lasts me the whole day with normal use. I don’t know of a lot of other phones that would have made it this far. My roommate completely smashed the back of his Google Pixel on the 2nd day of ownership by dropping it once without a case.

• UberGerbil

[quote<]a less-pristine body of water[/quote<]... uh huh.

• Freon

O_o

• ImSpartacus

It’s a shame that only AT&T gets this.

I love the idea of a rugged phone that doesn’t need a case and has a bigger battery.

• hungarianhc

It’s a shame that Samsung doesn’t just take most of this phone and blend it in w/ their normal S8 and make that the S8. The “active” phone had more a place in the lineup before their standard phones were waterproof / dustproof.

• DPete27

They’ve had a few product generations of “active” phones. I suspect they don’t move a significant volume of “active” phones, otherwise Samsung would roll these changes into their worldwide product stack instead of making it a single carrier-exclusive edition.

• [+Duracell-]

This is AT&T-exclusive for a short period, but supposedly the other carriers will carry it eventually. Samsung may even sell an unlocked version of the phone.

I would like one, but I wonder how thick this phone will be. I like the size of my Pixel and I don’t really want much thicker. If this is about the equivalent of a Pixel with a decent case, then I’m sold.

• ImSpartacus

See, that’s the cool thing.

These “Active” phones have traditionally been roughly as thick as a typical phone might be with a case.

However, I don’t believe that AT&T has a timed exclusive. I think the “Active” is literally just for them.