Razer Atheris is ready to strike on the move

It always seemed a bit strange to me that Razer would name its mice after venomous snakes, given the eater-eaten relationship between the two animals. Stranger still, the peripheral and laptop maker sticks to this nomenclature for wireless mice that probably should be named after hamsters or some other tail-free rodent. In any case, the company's latest pointing device is the Atheris, named after the genus of venomous serpents commonly called bush vipers.

The Atheris packs a 7200-DPI sensor that Razer says should track at up to 220 inches per second and ought to stay true when accelerated at up to 30 Gs. The mouse doesn't come with charging cables or an inductive mat; users add more juice by swapping the pair of AA batteries. While this mobile mouse doesn't seem to be quite as performance-focused as the recently-released Lancehead, it makes up for it by lasting up to 350 hours on a single pair of batteries.

The rodent connects to the host system through the user's choice of Bluetooth Low Energy or an optional USB dongle. The Bluetooth LE connection should offer longer battery life and broader device compatibility, while the proprietary Razer 2.4 GHz dongle uses the company's adaptive-frequency wireless tech.

The mouse is a right-handed design with two primary buttons, a clickable scroll wheel, two side buttons, and a DPI selector switch aft of the scroll wheel. Razer calls the rubber-coated mouse ambidextrous, though we suspect lefties will have trouble with the side buttons. The Atheris is compact and portable, measuring 3.9" long, 2.5" wide, and 1.4" at its tallest point (10 cm x 6.3 cm x 3.4 cm), and weighing in at just 2.2 oz (66 g) without batteries.

Razer's Atheris is compatible with the company's Synapse software, though it's bereft of any decorative LEDs. The mouse is available now on the manufacturer's site for $50. Razer backs all of its mice with a two-year warranty.

• BurntMyBacon

[quote=”Wayne Manion”<]The Bluetooth LE connection should offer longer battery life and broader device compatibility, while the proprietary Razer 2.4 GHz dongle uses the company's adaptive-frequency wireless tech.[/quote<] Shouldn't the dongle work with any system that has a USB port? When did Bluetooth LE become more ubiquitous than USB on PCs?

• tempeteduson

Razer Arthritis?

I might give this a spin.

I quite like my MX Anywhere 2 but the non-clickable scroll wheel is a royal PITA and the tracking is good but not quite 1:1.

OMFG, no.
      I just remembered. Mandatory Razer Synapse “drivers”.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.
      (It’s been so long, I’d almost forgotten about them, but it’s still a NOPE)

• tay

What’s the weight with batteries? I have a SteelSeries wireless mouse that is around 114 gm and I find it just too heavy. It doesn’t help that I’m old and can’t play very much anymore due to pain, but still.. I would be weary of any over 100 gm mouse even if you’re young and have no health issues.

• thedosbox

[quote<] Razer's Atheris is compatible with the company's Synapse software [/quote<] This is not a selling point. Mandatory cloud account for mouse drivers? No thanks. Sure, you can switch to "offline" mode *after* logging in, but you shouldn't need an account in the first place. The kicker? Your windows account needs to have administrator privileges in order for the "stay logged" in checkbox to take effect.

• mdkathon

I’d say it’s a selling point for some, and completely optional for those who don’t want to use it.

Many ways to re-map buttons if you don’t want to use the bundled software.

• RAGEPRO

Are there?

• BurntMyBacon

Please enlighten us.

• thedosbox

So I can remap the buttons on my Razer Tartarus without Synapse? Or disable the lighting on any Razer device?

Looking forward to your response.

• MOSFET

No love here for Razer software. I’m using a DeathAdder because it’s a comfortable, precise mouse with not too many buttons (I still prefer two + scroll wheel, but that doesn’t mean I want a sucky mouse). So glad it works without Razerware.

• mdkathon

Ordered once I saw the announcements. Ticks the boxes I want.

1) Small(ish)
    2) Removable/Replaceable batteries. I’m not a fan of the imbedded li-ion cells that are not user serviceable.
    3) Dongle or Bluetooth. I hope it’ll be easy to switch modes to enable laptop switching.

Really excited about it.

• RdVi

Why not both removable and rechargeable? I hate replacing batteries personally. It feels wasteful also.

My logitech performance MX is going on 7 years old and still rocking the original battery. The time between charges is still pretty decent. It is replaceable, and it’s not li-ion, but that should kind of calm fears of having a device outlive an embedded battery. I think as long as the battery life between charges is still an acceptable number of hours at say 30% of new, then it’s fine.

• hungarianhc

Just get Amazon brand rechargeable AA / AAA batteries and a charger. Works great for me. Removable. And rechargeable.

• mdkathon

Removable and rechargeable li-ion cell would be great. It’d be even better if all of our favorite gadget companies would agree on some sort of standard (physical size and voltage). For a time there was that one Nokia cell from an old phone that was being reused in gadgets which I thought was a great idea. What I don’t want is a *another* disposable thing.

I carry 4 AA and 4 AAA low-discharge batteries in my bag. Never found the rare instance of needing to swap out batteries to be a hassle.

• Shobai

Last paragraph, first sentence: ‘tough’ should probably be ‘though’.

• morphine

Hey, it’s tough that it doesn’t have any LEDs.

• Neutronbeam

I’d buy it just for that…