HyperX Cloud Alpha headset improves on all fronts

Gaming headsets seem to be following the Galapagos finch pattern of radiating out from a single species into an entire genus filling every conceivable niche. HyperX is expanding its lineup of headsets with the Cloud Alpha, a piece of kit that looks improve the existing Cloud with a lightweight design, more features, and a dash more of style. We've generally liked the other Cloud headsets we've examined, so hopefully HyperX can continue the trend with the Cloud Alpha.

Kingston's gaming brand says the Cloud Alpha has a dual-chamber design—one for bass, another for mids and highs. Coupled with 50-mm neodymium drivers, the design ought to provide sound output with reduced distortion and greater clarity than conventional offerings. We'll need to get a pair in the lab to be able to tell you if that's true, but we can remark on some of the Cloud Alpha's features that should make it comfortable and versatile.

The 4.3' (1.3 m) braided cable with integrated volume and microphone mute controls is now fully detachable for storage, as is the noise-cancelling condenser microphone. The main cable terminates in a four-pole 3.5-mm jack that can be plugged into a mobile device or a modern console controller. The box also includes a 6.6' (2 m) extension cable with a pair of 3.5-mm tips for plugging into a PC.

HyperX says the leatherette in the large earcups is softer and more pliable than before, and that the steel frame has given way to an aluminum design that helped the headset drop about half an ounce (14 g) compared to its forebear. The headset is available in a single black color scheme with red stitching and anodized aluminum accents.

The Cloud Alpha gaming headset will go on sale on September 25 for $100. HyperX backs its Cloud headsets with a two-year warranty.

• Dracius

I have the Cloud II 7.1. I took a real risk not knowing how these headphones would perform when taking into regarding the high cost at $120, close to release. (my usual price range was about $20, lol) Even with the research done online, I find it always better to listen to the headphones first before buying it. Unfortunately this isn’t always possibly..

But damn! was this risk worth it. A very good investment IMO. 🙂 Considering the price and availability of brands locally, it’s a really decent set of headphones.

I do however find that the headphones performs much better when running it directly from my motherboard’s onboard audio (ALC1150). Bass is much deeper.

I’m definitely no audiophile, but I know when my tunes sound good 🙂

• ALiLPinkMonster

That’s almost always going to be true. Think about it, a tiny USB stick with what has to be a medicore-at-best DAC is never going to sound as good as what onboard audio circuitry can do. That’s why I’m always confused as to why these companies push the whole proprietary surround virtualization thing when modern onboard chips in all but the cheapest of motherboards are typically more than capable of good sound quality and more than capable of virtualizing the surround sound on their own.

• ALiLPinkMonster

I have the Cloud Revolver which seems to be targeted at the “audiophile gamer” crowd. Sound quality is top notch for a gaming headset, and it has an excellent mic. I like that this one shares a lack of proprietary surround virtualization, which these days seems totally pointless when most modern gaming PCs can do virtualization perfectly fine on their own. I’d be very interested to know how the sound compares with this “dual chamber” design.

My only real gripe with the Revolver is that the metal head band makes a lot of noise if you so much as brush something against it, and that noise translates right into both the ear cups and the mic. I can live with it because that metal band (and the overall design) also happens to make the headset feel light as a feather and require zero adjustments. It’s gotta be the most comfortable pair of cans I’ve ever worn. This one looks like it would feel a bit heavier and tighter on the head.

• Jigar

Hyper X Core user here, best investment in headphones ever.

• Kretschmer

Sorry, I can’t support something with such stupid name.

• tay

Does it require registration and telemetry. If not, then how is it cloud?

• ALiLPinkMonster

Your audio gets uploaded to a cloud for virtualization before going to your headset.