Razer Wolverine Ultimate controller is flashy and customizable

Ever since a sizing misstep with the original Xbox "Duke" controller, Microsoft has done a pretty bang-up job in the controller hardware department. The Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers are ubiquitous in PC gaming, though some folks probably think they could perhaps use more RGB LEDs. Gamers don't have to suffer in darkness anymore, since Razer's Wolverine Ultimate gamepad packs RGB LED lighting and brings Razer's Synapse software from Windows onto the Xbox.

The Wolverine Ultimate works with both Xbox One and PC and includes all the hardware present on the standard console controller, including a four-pole 3.5-mm audio jack for connecting a headset. Razer's take on the concept packs extra customizable buttons, two interchangeable directional pads, and a range of swappable thumbsticks with different profiles and heights. The package also contains a carrying bag for the controller and the detachable 10' (3 m) cable. There's no specific mention of the word "wireless," so we assume the tether is required for the controller to work.

The 16.7 million colors of Razer's Chroma RGB lighting are controlled through the company's Synapse software, now available on Xbox One in addition to its usual home on Windows. Buyers will also use Synapse to configure the pair of remappable multi-function bumpers, four multi-function triggers, and quick control panel. The company also promises that the controller lighting will react to gameplay in select titles.

The Razer Wolverine Ultimate gamepad will hit shelves next month for a doubletake-inducing $160, and supports PC and the Xbox One. The manufacturer offers one-year warranty coverage.

• psuedonymous

THE SOUL OF MAD CATZ HAS POSSESSED A NEW HOST.

• Air

[quote<](...) brings Razer's Synapse software from Windows onto the Xbox.[/quote<] Finally console users are getting acess to one of the best PC features.

• [+Duracell-]

For that price, you might as well get the official Xbox One Elite controller.

• Voldenuit

Yeah, the underside buttons don’t look nearly as comfortable or convenient to use as the Xbone Elite’s underside paddles. Also, not convinced about that Razer’s d-pad.

• ronch

For that price it should be made of adamantium.

• Voldenuit

It’s a Razer… so the plastic will get brittle after a year and any rubberized surfaces will become sticky.

I had an Orochi that literally melted in my desk drawer and became as tacky as a week old piece of taffy left on the back seat of a rental car.

Never again.

EDIT: Worth mentioning that the same thing happened with the rubberized buttons on at least 2 Diamondbacks (a third died of hardware failure before it got to that stage). I put up with Razer back when there were no other good options for gaming mice, but there’s no reason to do so now, with logitech upping their game, and the likes of steelseries and roccat around.

• ronch

Whoever invented those stupid rubberized plastic surfaces should be strapped to the next missile Kim Jong Un launches and sent to low Earth orbit where he will spend the rest of his days. Ugh. Those surfaces are great for about 24 hours then they collect dust and get sticky enough to trap a mouse. Most terrible, hard to maintain material ever in the universe!

• Neutronbeam

and have liquid cooling for sweaty palms.

• Air

This is the the elite version of the classic “bad third party controller that you give to player 2”.

• Voldenuit

We all wondered who would step up after Madcatz went bust.

• chuckula

Where are the retractable claws?

I kinda feel like the Xbox controller is still a little too big. Too thick, specifically. Also, that D-pad looks awful. Can’t be much worse than the one on the 360 controller, but the Xbox One’s D-pad was a big step up.

• Srsly_Bro

I feel a Trump small hands meme is needed.

• RAGEPRO

Have you used an Xbox One controller? It’s very small, at least in my opinion. I quite like it; it feels solid and I can close my hands around it (making it very comfy to hold) and yet none of the inputs feel cluttered or imprecise. It’s a fine piece of engineering.

That said, I liked the Xbox 360 controller quite a bit as well. Even though the Playstation 2 was far and away my favorite game console of all time, I never liked the Sony-style controller. Admittedly that’s got more to do with the placement of the analog sticks than anything else.

I’ve used an Xbox One controller. I’ve been through three Xbox Ones that have all died weird deaths (BD-ROM death, the controller wouldn’t pair with the device even in USB mode death, and finally one that just quit starting up altogether), so I don’t own any Xbox One controllers anymore, but for about 3 years I used Xbox One controllers about 50% of my gaming time.

• The Egg

No way. The original “Duke” controller was the most comfortable I’ve ever held. It’d be nice if they made customizable shell sizes for us folks with larger hands.