LG V30 takes its screen all the way to the edges

This week's IFA 2017 show in Berlin has seen several mobile PC refreshes as well as new displays and PC peripherals. LG is getting the attention today with the unveiling of its V30 plus-sized flagship smartphone. The phone drops the rather gimmicky second screen from its V20 forebear and gains a nearly bezel-free 6.0" OLED screen with a resolution of 2880×1440 that works out to a pixel density of about 535 PPI. LG refers to the aspect ratio as 18:9 (or 2:1 according to my math classes), slightly taller than the 16:9 ratio found in most other phones—or wider, depending on the perspective.

Like seemingly every flagship Android phone of 2017, the beating heart of the V30 is reportedly an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC. According to Anandtech, four of those cores are clocked at up to 2.45 GHz, while the others slap away at up to 1.9 GHz. The processor fetches data from 4 GB of memory. The standard V30 has 64 GB of onboard storage, while the more generous V30+ model apparently has 128 GB of internal flash memory. Buyers can add up to 256 GB of additional room by putting a suitable card in the microSD slot. The company didn't offer many details about the V30+ model, so it's possible that handset could have additional distinguishing features.

The high-end camera should fit right in with smartphone trends in 2017. A 5-megapixel camera with a 90° angle of view is aimed at the user, and a pair of snappers adorn the glass-covered reverse side of the phone. One picture-taker is a normal 16-MP, f/1.6 unit, and the other is a wide-angle 13-MP camera with a 120° angle of view. The V30 model carries over the manual camera controls and fine-tuning capabilities from the V20, and can apply any of 16 color-grading presets to set the mood for a video clip.

The back of the camera also plays host to a fingerprint sensor that The Verge says is located in just the right spot for comfort and convenience. The site also reports that the V30's screen is covered with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 and that the backside is made of Gorilla Glass 4. The V30 is IP68-certified for resistance to water and dust intrusion, but still sports a headphone jack.

The V30 will run Google's Android Nougat 7.1.2 with LG's proprietaty UX 6.0 interface drizzled on top. A non-user-serviceable 3300 mAh battery goes in the 3" wide, 5.9" tall, 0.3" thick body (75 mm x 151 mm x 7.4 mm). Said battery reportedly supports Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 and wireless charging, too. LG didn't provide pricing information, but we expect the V30 to inhabit the $700-and-up orbit where several of its rivals are stationed.

• sparkman

The thin-bezel phones and also thin-bezel PC screens are great but I can’t wait for actual zero-bezel technology where the entire front surface is display.

• ronch

Oh wow another 6″ phone. I used to have a 6″ Zenfone and it just sucked how you really can’t use it with one hand, which sucks when your other hand is not available.

• DancinJack

….

Look at the actual measurements of this phone. It is miles smaller than “old” six inch phones. There are barely any bezels.

• ronch

I want a phone that takes its screen all the way around the phone, covering every last square nanometer. /s

• albundy

they got rid of the removable battery? yeah, no thanks. add to that potential boot loops and it just leaves a sour note.

• ronch

If this were about a Samsung phone your comment would’ve been punny!

• LauRoman

Why can’t anyone make a flat version of these? The ones with the weird chin camera or other weird placement look ugly…

• ronch

It’s only ugly if it’s an Android phone, but it’s totally OK if it’s an iPhone. 😉 /s

• CuttinHobo

What isn’t flat about this phone? The side shot looks flat to me.The screen/body isn’t concave like my LG Flex 2, nor does it have the curved edge-screen of a Galaxy Edge.

• Kretschmer

At this point, I struggle to justify $700 phones. My current phone was a $200 “temporary replacement,” and it does everything I need a phone to do. The only things I’m willing to pay extra for are long-term OS support, clean Android, and a huge battery, but most flagships are going in the opposite direction. Since 2015 or so, I can’t see any material quality-of-life differences between low/midrange and flagship phones, unless you’re really into 3D games or enjoy showing off.

That’s why we need the Nexus family to come back, but it’s not happening.

• strangerguy

The only reason I got an S8 is only because a heavy discount from my employer. Otherwise I will happily be using a Xiaomi device or a $250 refurb iPhone SE 64GB.

• brucethemoose

First thing I did was hit ctrl-F and search for “microSD”. Because if it doesn’t have that… Well it wouldn’t matter if the phone had a EPYC CPU, a 1180 TI, a 16K LMNOP-LED screen and 15 cameras, it just wouldn’t do what I need it to do.

Fortunately, it does. And it even has a headphone jack as a bonus.

• tsk

So you’re gonna buy it then?

• brucethemoose

If my 10 dies, I might, yeah. Or I might get one for a family member who keeps running out of space on their iPhone…

• blahsaysblah

Why not switch to a 128GB/256GB iPhone?

• brucethemoose

A: Cost

B: Data loss potential

C: It WILL get filled up with videos/photos, eventually

I love my family, but some of them like taking tons photos/videos yet aren’t great with computers… Switching out and labeling cheap memory cards just like a point and shoot is totally within their capability. Dealing with iTunes or Android sync quirks and organizing it on hard drives while keeping it safe/secure is not, and I get tired of doing it myself while they panic about the stuff they don’t understand. Maybe my family is more dysfunctional than most, but that isn’t totally unheard of, right?

In my case, I don’t like the premium I pay for the flash when I could get it for a fraction of the price in a microSD. I don’t like the data loss potential, where if my phone dies, it takes all its data with it (whereas you can pull out a microSD from a dead phone for free). I also like the convenience of having a dedicated vacation or daily use microSD. And while I know it’s kind of paranoid, all my phones have lasted years , so I worry about wearing out the internal flash these days.

• blahsaysblah

If you are firm with them about having to learn to do it themselves, they will quickly figure out whats trash and what they actually want to keep. Parents were same. because of enabling them.

They dont keep a ton of stuff anymore.

Headphone jack is on top, though, which is weird when you want to put your phone in your pocket while listening to some music. When you pull it out, it’s upside down.

• DreadCthulhu

I prefer the jack on top, since it makes it easier to charge & listen to music at the same time. Of course I don’t listen to music & walk around much; if i have my headphones on I am either standing in the kitchen cooking or doing dishes, or relaxing in my comfy chair.

• tsk

Very nice phone, but the Pixel 2 will be very similar with much better software.

• Namarrgon

And no headphone jack ;-(

• psuedonymous

I can’t say I’d miss it. Once you go Bluetooth you never go back.