Philips 276E8FJAB display can shower your life in color

We talk up a couple metric tons of gaming hardware every week, but there's a fair chance that you don't really care for either high or variable refresh rates. Perhaps all you want is a display with a nice combo of size and resolution, along with excellent color reproduction. Meet the Philips 276E8FJAB monitor, a fresh arrival on U.S. shores.

Besides an easy-to-remember name, the Philips 276E8FJAB has a 27" IPS panel with a resolution of 2560×1440 and a refresh rate of 60 Hz. The company says the response time is 4 ms and that the maximum brightness should reach 350 cd/m². That's all reasonably-standard fare these days, but this monitor can display an "Ultra Wide Color" gamut. Philips doesn't say exactly what that means, but we do know that the panel's gamut can cover 114% of the NTSC color space and 132% of sRGB. In turn, that should work out to color reproduction more akin to a professional-grade monitor than your run-of-the-mill IPS display. The quoted 1000:1 static contrast ratio certainly doesn't hurt, either.

The 276E8FJAB looks quite dashing, too. The included stand has a minimalist aesthetic and should take up next to no space on a desk, though there are no height or swivel adjustments. The panel has extra-thin bezels around three of its sides, perfect for that monitor triptych you've been considering. Input options include a DisplayPort 1.2 connector, an HDMI 1.4 port, and ye olde VGA D-Sub connector. A pair of built-in speakers round out the creature comforts.

You can order the Philips 276E8FJAB from Amazon for a reasonable $350. The manufacturer backs the display with a three-year warranty.

• GTVic

I read this article because I’m always interested in new displays and display tech. The stupid title had absolutely no effect.

• DPete27

That’s a pretty fantastic price for those specs IMO.

• caconym

Yeah, this would be a great monitor for an artist/videographer/game-dev on a budget.

• psuedonymous

[quote<]but this monitor can display an "Ultra Wide Color" gamut. Philips doesn't say exactly what that means, but we do know that the panel's gamut can cover 114% of the NTSC color space and 132% of sRGB. In turn, that should work out to color reproduction more akin to a professional-grade monitor than your run-of-the-mill IPS display.[/quote<] If a manufacturer is not even able to specify what gamut their monitor is designed to display in their marketing copy, it's a good assumption that 'professional grade' colour preproduction is very, very far from what you will receive.

[quote<]Besides an easy-to-remember name[/quote<] Sarcasm like this is why I subscribe to TR. [quote<]The quoted 1000:1 static contrast ratio[/quote<] See, I've been spoiled by AMOLED phones and modern VA panels. I've come to see IPS as the weakest of the non-TN panel types and once you've experienced the 3000:1 contrast of VA or immeasurable contrast ratio of OLED, it's really hard to accept 1000:1 as acceptable, especially at home in the evenings when the environment is darker.

• jodiuh

True, but for a monitor that I’m viewing from varying angles, I can’t stand the shifting brightness or color from a VA. I do have a VA TV and can’t handle watching @ an angle.

Yeah, VA only looks great up to about 30 degrees off centre. IPS holds up to about 50 degrees.

For monitors though, if you’re 50 degrees off centre you’re doing it wrong 😉

• BurntMyBacon

I’ve seen numerous reports of VA panels “smearing”. I suspect, though I haven’t personally confirmed, that these high refresh rate VA panels are being driven faster than their ability to actually adapt. As a VA panel user, I’d love to hear your opinion on this as I find VA panels tempting. The more limited than IPS, but better than TN viewing angle shouldn’t be a big issue in a desktop usage scenario.

Still waiting for some form of LED (OLED, uLED) panel to come to monitors. Price is an obvious concern. However, the OLED TVs and phones I’ve seen make me think they must be struggling to get the accuracy they need for desktop usage (which would in fact bug me). That said, I’m sure more than a few people would give up a little accuracy for the ultra deep blacks and exceptional contrast.

VA smearing is limited only to black objects moving across the screen. Everything else is really fast and smear free.

The problem is that VA pixel transition times aren’t uniform for all transitions. Black to white (0-255 is slow – like 14ms slow, so only good for 72Hz refresh without smearing. Yet everything else, including very dark grey to white (10-255) are fine.

[url=http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/acer_predator_z271/response_7.png<]Here's the response table for Samsung's 144Hz VA panels[/url<]. Effectively, the whole panel is quick - even quicker than IPS in a lot of cases and capable of true 144Hz use without blurring or double images anywhere, with the exception of pure black objects moving across the screen. If it really bothers you in a specific game, one way to do it is to increase the in-game brightness so that blacks are no longer 0,0,0 and are now 10,10,10 instead. The only game I really noticed it on is dark and murky games like Vermintide. Oddly space sims are fine since the moving objects are bright on a black background. It's specific to dark objects moving on bright backgrounds that seem to smear for an extra frame. Extreme overdrive fixes it, but with the side effect of negative ghosting, so it's usually better to just increase the in-game brightness very slightly if one game is noticeably blurry. edit: As bad as the "increasing the brightness" fix for VA panels sounds, you have to remember that VA panels are capable of much deeper blacks than IPS in the first place - so [i<]even when you turn up the brightness very slightly[/i<] a VA panel still probably gives you a better black level for your games than the IPS equivalent!

I bet my Dreamcast games will look awesome in 640×480 VGA.

• Laykun

Depends on the scale chip inside the display. I have some older hp lcds that don’t do interpolation at 640×480 or at least make the pixels look as sharp as possible and I think it actually looks pretty neat, where as my dell display turns it into a blurry mess. At the end of the day though this just a troll post and you probably don’t even have a Dreamcast.

[url<]https://imgur.com/gallery/pF7aE[/url<]

• kuraegomon

Way to prove that ye-olde-school-gamer cred. The caption was probably a bit uncalled-for, though. Unless there’s history twixt the two of you that I’m unaware of?

• willmore

Not sure if something as new as a dreamcast counts for ‘old school’. Do I need to post a pick of me with my VCS?

Well, in the Retro Console Gaming thread, I posted a photo of my NES, Genesis, and SNES Jr. Fellow TR reader tfp has my Atari 2600. Neither are quite as old as the wood-paneled VCS, but they’re all pretty dang old by now. LOL

• DragonDaddyBear

I played Tetris the other day and my five year old daughter looks at me and says “this game is really blocky.” I told her back when that game came out the graphics were amazing. She had that cute confused look, kinda like when a dog looks at you and rotates its head.

These young-uns don’t know what they are missing!

• Laykun

The Dreamcast is old enough to have children, it’s old school.

• Sargent Duck

Haha, I didn’t notice the caption the first time till you pointed it out. Perhaps a tad harsh.

Nah but it’s something I tell my friends and that they tell me. It’s never meant to be rude when I say it.

And I can’t figure out how to change it. I can edit the post but not the caption in the app.

• Laykun

Don’t worry, you spelled my name wrong anyway.

what the hell

• chµck

i’m not your friend, guy!

I know. Sometimes I forget who I’m talking to: internet strangers.

• DragonDaddyBear

You can change that to a limited degree by going to the BBQ!

• Vhalidictes

Well, that was an unexpected bit of awesome. Nice pic!

I was playing Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on it last night, so it happened to be out. It’s been totally tricked out – a Noctua 40mm 5v fan mod using 3D-printed parts I got on eBay and a USB-GDROM since the laser on each of my last two Dreamcasts gave out before the rest of the system did.

• Laykun

I stand corrected! I miss my old Dreamcast 🙁

In which case it will really depend on that scaler chip :D.