MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK hooks up wireless gamers

If you're of a mind to build yourself a hot new Ryzen-based gaming rig but need to have Wi-Fi as a connectivity option, maybe check out MSI's new X370 Gaming M7 ACK. This is a no-compromises motherboard for Socket AM4 CPUs that includes an expansion card bearing Killer's Wireless-AC 1535 2×2 wireless adapter.

Besides the boxed wireless card, the X370 Gaming M7 ACK contains all the accoutrements you expect from a high-end Ryzen motherboard. Its four metal-reinforced RAM slots can accept DDR4 DIMMs running at speeds up to 3200 MT/s. There are three physical PCIe x16 slots on tap, and as usual, two of them have metal reinforcement to help support heavy graphics cards. On the back panel, there are USB 3.1 Gen2 ports with Type-C and Type-A connectors. The board also has a header for connecting another Type-C port to a case's front panel.

If you're using the included Wi-Fi adapter, you can enable Killer's DoubleShot technology to pair the on-board E2500 Gigabit Ethernet adapter with the 1535 chip's 2×2 Wi-Fi. Killer's software will automatically send latency-sensitive traffic over the ethernet connection while using the Wi-Fi adapter to improve throughput for hefty traffic like file transfers. The board's two M.2 sockets both get cooled courtesy of the large chipset heatsink. If you need more NVMe storage, there's an U.2 port available, too.

MSI says the X370 Gaming M7 ACK is in stores now. We couldn't find it at e-tail just yet, but it should be hitting shop listings any time now.

• southrncomfortjm

What use scenario would have you using Wifi and Ethernet at the same time? Ethernet is going to max out most people’s internet speeds, so I don’t see why you would ever use both. Even assuming you were gaming… why would you be downloading a large file at the same time since both activities would rely on the same connection from the wall.

I guess the only case I see that being really worth it is if you limit the download to say half of your download speeds and want to game at the same time. Just a weird use case.

• RAGEPRO

It’s more like someone who wants to game online while moving big files around their network, or streaming high-bitrate video off a NAS. Still a weird use case, but not quite AS nonsensical.

• Vigil80

[quote<]Killer's software will automatically send latency-sensitive traffic over the ethernet connection while using the Wi-Fi adapter to improve throughput for hefty traffic like file transfers. [/quote<] I'm interested to know if that's as gimmicky as it sounds.

• kuraegomon

[url<]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=killer+doubleshot+review[/url<] OK, snark aside, I was curious too. The following two reviews from the above search indicate that Doubleshot solutions actually appear to work as advertised: [url<]https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0ahUKEwjYioLBp5PWAhUCQSYKHXeVBNoQFghCMAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kitguru.net%2Fprofessional%2Fnetworking%2Fleo-waldock%2Frivet-networks-killer-doubleshot-pro%2F&usg=AFQjCNEZsdcRvQqmY4qYzvU_Cz2ICdmceA[/url<] [url<]https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjYioLBp5PWAhUCQSYKHXeVBNoQFggoMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhexus.net%2Ftech%2Freviews%2Fnetwork%2F91952-killer-ethernet-e2400-wireless-ac-1535%2F&usg=AFQjCNHsMIbBgzx4ZuyKk7yBCYWgfrAUCA[/url<]

• Sargent Duck

[url<]https://techreport.com/review/29144/revisiting-the-killer-nic-eight-years-on[/url<]

• deruberhanyok

Having dealt with motherboards using Killer NICs for onboard solutions in the past (Gigabyte , MSI and ASRock love to do this, but I keep buying them because they’re cheaper than Asus), I found it pretty telling that if you go to Killer’s website and check their downloads, they have a section that is specifically drivers only:

[url<]http://www.killernetworking.com/driver-downloads/category/other-downloads[/url<] And in my anecdotal but first-hand experience, issues with occasional lag spikes and loss of connectivity exist when using their control center software, but go away if you do just the drivers. I tried it out, because I too was skeptical, and ultimately I'm glad they provided a workaround for their own software. I am also slightly annoyed that Windows 10 won't recognize them on a fresh install, since they put a funny vendor ID string on them. (No issues under Linux though, it is recognized as a plain old Atheros adapter and off you go to the races).

• LostCat

With the 2200 I definitely had experiences like that and worse, but I still like cFosSpeed so I’d like to try their newer kit.

• ronch

Good grief I think they’re overdoing this LED business with all those lights next to the slots.

• ronch

[b<]ACK!!! I hit my toe!! [/b<]

• LostCat

You forgot the cat.

• Growler

[url=https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e3/47/43/e3474352f7de4d6ae342dd5581e834c4–cat-cartoons-cartoon-cats.jpg<]Like this?[/url<]

• BurntMyBacon

Don’t hit your cat with this motherboard! That’s a tragic waste of a perfectly good motherboard!

• jihadjoe