iPhone X steps into the borderless OLED future

As the leaks suggested it would, Apple is introducing a major leap forward for the iPhone to mark its tenth anniversary. The iPhone X (say iPhone 10) ditches the iPhone's trademark bezels and home button for a whole new way of interacting with iOS.

The iPhone X is the company's first with an OLED or "Super Retina" display. Apple claims that until now, it couldn't find an OLED panel up to its standards for inclusion in an iPhone, so it built a custom OLED panel of its own to bear the Super Retina name. This panel covers almost the entire front surface of the iPhone X save a "notch" at the top that contains cameras, proximity sensors, a speaker, and face-sensing hardware. (More on that in a moment.) With a 5.8" diagonal and a 2436×1125 resolution, the iPhone X rings in with a 458-ppi density. The panel supports Apple's True Tone variable-color-temperature technology, as well as the HDR10 and Dolby Vision HDR standards.

With the removal of the home button and the Touch ID sensor, Apple needed a new way to biometrically identify iPhone owners. Face ID uses infrared dot projection to create a unique map of the user's face. Using machine learning, the iPhone X can distinguish a user's face even behind glasses, through changes in hair styles, and even through natural aging. Apple stores this face-mapping data in the same Secure Enclave encrypted memory that Touch ID has used in past iPhones, and its A11 Bionic CPU has dedicated neural-network processing hardware to make interactions with the Face ID sensor array as swift as possible. Apple says its engineers worked with flat photos and professionally-made masks to specifically guard against spoofing, and it says that the feature only has a one-in-a-million false positive rate.

The lack of a home button also required Apple to implement a series of swipes and gestures to allow users to get around the phone. A swipe up from the bottom of the screen now brings the user home from anywhere on the device. A swipe-up-and-hold reveals the multitasking switcher. A swipe down opens Control Center, a press and hold of the side button invokes Siri, and a double-click of the side button brings up Apple Pay.

That A11 Bionic CPU is a six-core SoC with two high-performance processor cores and four lower-power cores. The company claims the high-performance cores are 25% faster than those in the A10 Fusion CPU, and the lower-power cores are claimed to be 70% faster than those in the older SoC. A new management processor lets the device use all six of its cores at the same time, too, an ability lacking in Apple's older chips.

The A11 is also the first SoC with what Apple says is its own custom graphics-processing unit inside, a "three-core" design that's purportedly 30% faster than its predecessor. On top of those general-purpose cores, the A11 Bionic offers a "neural engine" capable of performing 600 GFLOPS of real-time processing for Face ID and Animoji animated emojis, as well as "other features."

The dual-camera system on the iPhone X uses two of the company's new 12-MP sensors. Apple claims these sensors are larger and faster than prior models, and both cameras will enjoy optical image stabilization. Combined with the resources of the A11 SoC and a new image signal processor, the dual-camera system will offer the Portrait Mode background-blur effect from the iPhone 7 Plus, as well as a new augmented-reality feature called Portrait Lighting. Portrait Lighting seems to re-tone-map parts of the subject to make it appear as though they're under professional studio lights. The camera system will also offer 4K recording at 60 FPS and 1920×1080 slow motion at 240 FPS. Video will, of course, come stabilized, and Apple's own image encoder allows for the use of the HEIF and HEVC formats for less space-intensive storage of those precious moments.

Like the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, the iPhone X supports wireless charging using the industry-standard Qi system. It'll also be compatible with Apple's AirPower accessory, a wireless charging mat capable of juicing up an iPhone, AirPods, and an Apple Watch all at once. The iPhone X will be available in silver and space gray, and it'll come with 64 GB or 256 GB of onboard storage. The 64 GB model will start at $999, and the 256GB model will go for $1149. Orders will open Friday, October 27. Deliveries will begin November 3.

• ntmarcel4

The iPhone X is not disappointing but is living proof that Apple will drive incremental upgrades , so that many fans will just stick with the phones that they already have.
    Revolutionary , for any manufacturer, would be a longer screen-on time, an unbreakable glass or a foldable phone etc.
    Nilay Patel says that the mobile web sucks : [url<]https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/20/9002721/the-mobile-web-sucks[/url<] My comment on his lame editorial on Apple's iPhone x using the exact same word describing his 'affinity' for Apple was incriminated as such by his servant mod team: 'the ‘author’ obediently sucks on Apple, as usual…." ''Please take these garbage comments somewhere else, because they're not welcome here.'' The Verge Mod Team. There is another urban saying : 'suck my apples', i restrained from using that.

• tipoo

Bottom picture strikes me as funny. UI guideline on the Watch was not to put elements on the bezel, to blend in the black OLED with the bezel better. UI guideline for the notch is to embrace it and not hide it. Weirdly different decisions.

• One Sick Puppy

It’s so strange to think that this will be bottom of the line in 7 or 8 years. I’m still using a 3GS, a 4S (on IOS6), and a 5s. 3GS is still my fav.

• NeelyCam

This is kind of an off-topic, but I was just wondering something. If you switched from, say, Verizon to AT&T or vice versa, doing a “bring-your-own-phone” thing with the previous carrier’s phone (with the various software tweaks they add to the phone), where does one get security updates?

Through the original carrier? Through the new carrier? Through the manufacturer? Or… does one get no security updates at all?

• adisor19

If it’s an iPhone, you always get your updates from Apple directly. If it’s Android, you should not expect any updates lol.

Adi

• Kretschmer

You also have to be careful of the LTE bands and CDMA/GSM phone specialization.

• willmore

Updates always come from the device manufacturer. For Android the manufacturer makes the update and the provider will add their junk to it and hand it back. Then the manufacturer sends it to the customer.

iPhone – always through Apple
      Locked Android – original network
      Unlocked Android – manufacturer, regardless of first or second network

• NeelyCam

Thanks for the info!

Others: why was tipoo downvoted? Was the info incorrect?

• Gastec

For all the material girls of all genders out there, we are excited to give you the new iBone X, for only 999.9969. Pre-order it now to also get a brand new pink aiaiiaiiiMiBod that will vibrate in sync with your iBone each time you receive a Like on your Facebook. Social NetWorking has never been more Xciting.

• WaltC

Cell Phones, again…b-o-r-i-n-g…;) Ugh…;) I use a dumb phone, I’ll have you know, and am proud of it…! I use desktops for everything else.

• gmskking

I absolutely hate trying to surf the web on my phone and just don’t even try anymore. That is why I own a desktop. Smartphones are boring.

• Gastec

You both sound like 12 year olds who just discovered the PC.

• Meadows

<winky face>

• End User

I’m buying this thing for the Dot Projector. Who doesn’t need more dots?

Waiting for the next gen with 60,000 dots

• BIF

“The boss doesn’t like it when you mess with his dots”

“Don’t be agitatin’ my dots!”

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfHid8AMfuo[/url<]

• kamikaziechameleon

If they put a wireless charging pad in the palm rest of the laptops… that would be awesome!

• alloyD

Start the countdown until they start calling it maciPhone and drop the number scheme.

• Krogoth

Apple’s eGadget division is screwed at this rate. They just can’t keep relying on increasingly more and more silly gimmicks to keep their mindshare afloat.

The romance and novelty is fading away with the masses and there are cheaper “clones” on the market.

• null0byte

One very simple fact you are forgetting about the majority of Apple’s products, especially the watch, that you can’t really get anywhere else:

They tend to be largely if not fully supported with full software upgrades for years, unlike a large number of Android devices, or especially “clones.”

I know you are Krogothed about the watch, and that’s nice, don’t buy one.

Apple’s mindshare for their watch isn’t going anywhere, and neither are Android Wear devices. There’s room enough in this world for both, PLUS the “clones.”

• Anonymous Coward

That is why they have their own CPU, GPU, machine learning and other hardware components. They intend to offer things that are not available elsewhere.

Also, don’t underestimate the power of style and fashion…

• trackerben

They had a problem with the Face ID demo. I don’t see how they can avoid a market fiasco unless it is fixed or explained in production by next month.

The high-expectations people who populate the iOS ecosystem are investing in access and not just applications and availability. If owners and their circles cannot access their personal stuff with ease, then Apple cannot claim to have the only premium line of phones.

• modulusshift

[url=https://finance.yahoo.com/news/really-happened-apples-face-id-fail-onstage-181213050.html<]Explained.[/url<]

• trackerben

That makes sense. Boobs abound without Jobs around, I guess.

It’s looking more like an android phone every day. Have Apple just forgotten how to innovate without Steve in the picture?

It looks exactly like Andy Rubin’s Essential PH-1, only with more clutter eating into the top of the screen.

Apple have finally realised that all the space at the bottom of their phones either side of the button is wasted, so they’re catching up with the Nexus phones from half a decade ago and going buttonless, and clearly with no headphone port (or plastic spacer where the headphone port used to be) there’s no excuse not to have a screen all the way to the bottom now….

• ronch

Honestly, I find my $160 Acer phone very good. The back is made of mundane polycarbonate and the front is just good ol’ Monkey Glass 3.0 and there’s just 4 x vanilla A53 cores at 1.3GHz in a square piece of plastic marked ‘Mediatek’ (who they?? -Ed) but I don’t find it slow at all. Maybe my standards are just 1/10 the standards of you wealthy iPhone users out there, I dunno.

• ronch

Should be a toss up between that $1,150 iPhone and a nice Ryzen 5 machine. Hmm… now where’s my pretty penny?

• HERETIC

” Apple claims that until now, it couldn’t find an OLED panel up to its standards for inclusion in an iPhone, so it built a custom OLED panel of its own to bear the Super Retina name.”

Everything I’ve read tells me this is a SAMSUNG OLED panel.
    LG won’t have OLED screens phone size ready until 2018……………..

• DancinJack

LG already has OLED on the V30? Not to mention, LG OLED is supposed to be on the new Pixel XL as well.

• modulusshift

[url=https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/lg-v30-hands-on-lgs-oled-displays-still-have-quality-issues/<]Quality is lacking, though.[/url<]

• HERETIC

My error there I meant to say LG won’t have OLED panels for apple until 2018,
        apple hates it when they only have one supplier-especially when it’s SAMSUNG….

• homerdog

Still rocking my 5S. It is a good phone.

• tipoo

I bought a retired one from work since my sister was still on a 4S. It still felt immediately right in my hand the way the 7 never has.

I think I’d be in for an SE 2.

• albundy

So it’s pretty much just catching up to the tech that we already have out there, plus the bitten fruit tax.

• uwsalt

[i<]On top of those general-purpose cores, the A11 Bionic offers a "neural engine" capable of performing 600 GFLOPS of real-time processing for Face ID and Animoji animated emojis, as well as "other features."[/i<] Have we really reached a point in technology where we can devote 600 GFLOPS of processing power to emojis? If so, have we really reached a point as a society where we should?

• tipoo

Hundreds of gigaflops screaming away so i can view cat gifs. I am a god.

• ptsant

The funny thing about market forces is that you get silly over-engineered stuff like AI-animated emojis because people are willing to pay for it, but can have difficulty funding more noble abstract projects that are probably more important.

Our money is our vote and what we get are AI emojis. That says something about us 😉

• blastdoor

I hear ya.

I seem to recall reading a few years ago that Apple marketing came to realize that the features that seem to create the most interest in mainstream users fall much more into the “animated emoji” category than into anything that might be considered productively useful, and that ever since Apple’s product introductions have skewed towards these fluffy applications of the tech.

Hopefully, though, the tremendous resources available in these phones are put to more productive uses by developers and Apple itself.

• BIF

What I really want to know is whether Siri will be improved. That girl is a pottymouth!

• Ifalna

Guess we don’t know yet what else to do with all that processing capability. >.<

• End User

Apple leading the industry with its adoption of wireless charging.

• TEAMSWITCHER

I love how every picture of a “wireless”charger has a wire. I just don’t see a benefit, I can answer my iPhone 7, check my email, text a friend, all without disrupting it’s charging cycle. Plus, I don’t need to purchase an additional accessory. Wireless charging isn’t a feature … it’s a hinderance.

It’s a feature as long as it’s not mandatory. To my knowledge the Lightning port hasn’t been removed.

And even then, it’s convenient if you just want to plop it down before you go to bed.

• End User

I agree with you up to a point but it is cool in many situations. Cars now have wireless charging pads. It would be cool in airports, hotels, restaurants and bars.

• tanker27

[quote<]I love how every picture of a "wireless"charger has a wire[/quote<] /facepalm

• End User

Whoever downvoted me has no sense of humour!

I got it and had previously upvoted it. Someone apparently thinks you really believe it though. lol

You are too kind.

• f0d

im sure i remember you as an apple nut and thats exactly the kind of things i hear apple nuts say on a daily basis

• End User

I build PCs and use Windows. How does that make me an Apple nut?

• f0d

obviously i was wrong but i thought you had an unwavering and mindless dedication to everything apple like an apple nutter
            again obviously i was wrong

• End User

You really pounced on that. GOOD FOR YOU.

• f0d

• willmore

They used industry standard Qi charging? Didn’t expect that.

• southrncomfortjm

Don’t forget though, their implementation is innovative and brave, maybe even daring.

• curtisb

You forgot magical.

• arunphilip

The word your looking for is courageous.

• southrncomfortjm

Correct. My bad. It’s been a while and I’m out of practice.

• ptsant

Courageous is the word.

• meerkt

A stopgap measure, I’m sure.

When they announced the giant charging pad, Phil said they were going to try to incorporate some of their changes back into the standard, which seems insane until you realize they had a big hand in other standards like Thunderbolt 3 with eGPU.

• arunphilip

Agreed – a very pleasant surprise. For once I can actually share my charger with those buying iPhones going forwards.

• ptsant

I was shocked for a second. I was almost certain they would provide a new charging standard, one that would of course require fairy dust and carry $$$ price tags.

+1 to Apple for adopting industry standards, for a change.

• Kretschmer

Quantum entanglement charging.

• emvath79

Are they really going to make videos play “into the notches”? Why wouldn’t you just cut the video off at that point with a straight line and make the notches black? It’s way more distracting to see a cut out part of the video being shown in those notches.

• tay

Yeah I hate it. Maybe the notches will disappear in a couple of years when they move the camera behind the screen.

• modulusshift

Just like every other non-native aspect ratio video on iOS, you can toggle zoomed/letterboxed modes by double tapping.

• tsk

One of the major issues I’ve had with iOS is navigation and how poor it’s been compared to android. This new method of using swipes has me intrigued, I’ll have to try it out in an apple store, though I doubt it can best the three buttons android has.

• Shobai

It seems to be a progression on BlackBerry’s BBOS10. There are no navigation keys on the Passport, for instance.

Or WebOS.

RIP, deserved so much better than HP.

• modulusshift

The full swipe to switch applications got the biggest reaction out of me in the whole presentation. I literally gasped. And I seriously reconsidered not buying it for like 30 minutes. If there were half swipes to go back and proper card based multitasking, I’d feel like I was coming home.

• davidbowser

And the Palm Pre had wireless charging too.

• End User

WebOS is alive and well on my TVs!

• Vaughn

Yup this was done by blackberry many years ago.

My Blackberry Z30 is now my travel phone and I still enjoy swiping everywhere on that phone.

• Shobai

Ha!

[quote<] A swipe up from the bottom of the screen now brings the user home from anywhere on the device. A swipe-up-and-hold reveals the multitasking switcher. A swipe down opens Control Center, a press and hold of the side button invokes Siri, and a double-click of the side button brings up Apple Pay.[/quote<] I just reread this and compared it to BBOS10.3; the behaviour appears almost identical: a swipe up takes the user to the home screen, which is also the multitasking switcher; a swipe down shows the control shade; press and hold the side button opens Blackberry Assistant.

• FireGryphon

Man, $1k or more for a phone? How can a phone be /that/ useful that it warrants dropping a grand on it?

• End User

My phone is more important than my PC.

• Pitabred

I agree with that. But most people also drop and chance losing phones much more often than a PC, so you better start carrying some insurance or be independently wealthy to be rolling with one of these as a phone.

• End User

I dropped my iPhone 7 Plus a bunch of times (cracked display) and Apple replaced the entire unit when the replacement display did not take.

• Spunjji

That isn’t standard policy. Usually they charge at least the display replacement cost, even if the rest of the device has a manufacturer fault.

/ex Apple Technical Specialist here.

I am End User.

• smilingcrow

That’s very common these days I imagine especially for the younger demographic but I still baulk at the markup on high end phones as they seem very poor value purely in terms of the BOM.
        Glad I can live with EOL mid range phones for £200 or less as I’d not like to be carrying a £700+ phone with me and have to pay insurance.

• Krogoth

I would invest in a sturdier smartphone then. Most smartphones such as these iPhones are becoming more and more of the opposite of that.

• tanker27

You do know the body of this phone is Stainless Steel, right?

• shaq_mobile

yeah but you only need to spend $200 to get a phone that does everything “important” that a phone can do.

i think its important to remember the difference between paying for useful functions and paying for social status. there’s nothing really wrong with either one, as long as you know you’re doing it.

• tipoo

People getting the Plus models with upgraded storage were already up there, honestly I don’t see 999 as too bad. Some people use their phones more than their laptops or any other electronics. The extra battery life is a big bonus for some.

• End User

I bought the 256GB iPhone 7 Plus in Canadian $ so I was way above $999. I wish I could buy an iPhone X for $999 cause that would be a steal of a deal.

• tipoo

Exactly lol. “but that’s what I pay in Canada already”

256GB X is 1750 dollars in Canada, holy poop, nope.

• cynan

Not only is that egregiously expensive, Apple is screwing Canadians by a factor of almost 10% on the exchange. That’s worse than Steam!

iPhone X : $999 USD = $1218 CAD. Apple store price: $1319 CAD
            iPhone x 256GB: $1149 USD=$1401. Apple store price: $1529 CAD

• tipoo

Yeah, last time they adjusted prices for the CAD was when we were down at 70 cents, now we’re back up to 80 and they’re not so quick to readjust prices down.

• psuedonymous

[quote<]How can a phone be /that/ useful that it warrants dropping a grand on it?[/quote<] It's a handbrain, my portable terminal to my external memory and communication link with the vast majority of the human race. It rates as pretty important to me. Once I can put that hardware inside my skull I won;t need one, but until then...

• Spunjji

And yet it does almost nothing significantly better than their earlier models. Like seriously, it’s not worth the price increase. You might find it to be so for your purposes, which would be odd, but an honest appraisal is that they’re price-gouging the market while they still can.

• Neutronbeam

Not interested until it goes all the way up to XI.

• deathBOB

The phone looks fine, but it suffers the same issue as other edge to edge phones – the larger screen provides no real new features at the cost of price and convenience. My wife just got an S8, and while its a great phone, I don’t find it to be any more capable than my 6s plus. The bezels hardly matter when holding the phone because your hand covers the edges anyway. It’s no easier to type on because the added screen size goes mostly toward the height. You have to be more delicate holding it lest you accidentally press something (although the palm rejection is usually quite good). The location of the fingerprint sensor is just bad, and I would much rather have a front sensor and a small chin to hold.

Jumping from a 4″ phone to something like the 6s plus was a revelation and made the phone significantly easier to use and more capable. I don’t see this as such a leap.

• DancinJack

Always a treat to read the Apple article comment sections here, or anywhere really.

• sparkman

Yes, especially the Apple-haters who really mysteriously seem to [b<]hate[/b<] the company considering they never do business with it.

• NeoForever

“All your face…
    … are belong to US”.

• DragonDaddyBear

When did the number 9 become so uncool? First Microsoft, then Apple. Next thing you know Google will skip Android 9.0.

• ludi

Well, when you’re trying to sell the product to German speakers…

• Firestarter

NEIN NEIN NEIN

• Wirko

Everyone wants to go to eleven, the sooner the better!

• DragonDaddyBear

The iPhone SE is $350, this is $1,000. Is it better, sure. Is it nearly three times better? Not a chance. In fact, the SE has a killer feature the X doesn’t, a headphone jack! Oh, and a $30 case gets you wireless charging. Suffice to say, I’m not impressed.

• Wonders

I don’t believe in giving money to Apple (I buy used MacBook Pros — and only used ones — which are essential for my daily work). But you do realize that value does not scale linearly with price, right? People who have an amount of money set aside that corresponds to something they think is f***ing awesome will just buy it. I’ve observed this first-hand in the 3rd world, where in places it’s normal to save up the equivalent of 3 months pay at a well-paid full time job to buy a brand new iPhone — and it’s not uncommon for members of the same demographic to upgrade yearly.

• ptsant

Well, if you have some use for the superior camera and the AI engine, the X is an impressive piece of hardware.

Still, I’m too cheap to consider almost any phone above $300. The SE hovers regularly around $320, so I might buy it at some point.

• rudimentary_lathe

I wanted an iPhone strictly for the better security, so I got an iPhone SE on sale for ~$240 Canadian which was a great deal at the time. I’d never dream of spending more than $500 on a phone. I just hope Apple keeps a cheaper, decent quality phone like the SE in their lineup going forward. Either that, or there will be mid-range Android phones that actually care about security by the time I need to replace the SE.

• Air

Yeah, i don’t understand the logic behind that. It has like 15 cameras but can’t afford to have a p2 port? It is a lot more important than all that other stuff.
      EDIT: By p2 port I meant “headphone jack”. In my country a “P2 connector” is a 3,5 mm TS/TRS connector.

• End User

What the heck is a “p2 port”?

It’s for two-player games. You wouldn’t understand.

Also I like that Google thinks I’m searching for a PS/2 port.

• Air

I just learned this term is only used in my country. “Headphone jack” is what I meant. Sorry.

• TEAMSWITCHER

They are selling the iPhone 6S for $449. I think it’s a better value, and it doesn’t look like an iPhone 5. I’m not saying the 5 design was bad, in fact I loved it. I used both an iPhone 5 and 5s for four long years. When the iPhone 7 came out, it was time to move on. My kids would take a 6s, the SE looks too old now to be cool. It’s a cruel world for teenagers.

Hell ya it is.

$350 for an iPhone SE in 2017 is a waste of money.

• willyolioleo

The Xiaomi Mi mix came out last year and is still more interesting IMO.

Instead of having an island thingy for the speaker, they used some piezo thing that vibrated the upper portion of the screen itself to produce sound. Very nifty and truly edge-to-edge cleanliness.

• Voldenuit

Yep. Similar to the sharp Aquos (pizeoelectric speaker). The Mi Mix 2 ditched that but improved in a few other areas (size, SoC).

However: MIUI (ew). No headphone jack (ew).

The [url=https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/7/26/16036076/meizu-dual-screen-pro-7-plus-smartphone-flagship-china-amoled-rear-display<]Meizu Pro 7[/url<] with its rear selfie screen sounds pretty nifty, and only $430-500, too!

• Air

Heh, phones for me had crossed the “good enough” line years ago. I guess I’m just too casual in this field. 1k phone or 350$ phone + $650 of pc parts is an easy choice…

• jessterman21

Yep, 4th gen Moto E is plenty for the wife, and my Nextbit Robin still does amazingly well. Both on Nougat, too.

• DoomGuy64

Love my Turbo2, only upgrade I might consider is a z force 2 since it supports the mods.

Those are both $700 phones (at launch). My mother-in-law has had a Droid Turbo since launch. Running Marshmallow, it’s done fine for her and I like that it’s paid off since she’s on my plan.

• LostCat

I just got an E4 Plus. It’s the first phone I’ve had I really like more than my Zune HD heh.

• Major-Failure

Yeah, like 10 years ago or so 😀

• TwoEars

Same. Got a Honor 8 Lite, does everything I need. Not interested in having the top model just for bling.

• Delta9

I have to agree. My current phone is the original Droid Turbo, which is a great piece of hardware, slightly handicapped by Moto/Verizon’s god awful software support. That was rectified by Lineage 14.1 (which is also running on my immortal HP Touchpad fast and flawlessly). My point is that the Turbo came out 10/31/14, and it is the first smartphone that is not looking or feeling its age. My contract has been up since 12/16 and I have yet to find a worthy successor. My previous phone, a Galaxy Nexus, hit 2 years old it looked and felt it’s age. It also ran terribly slow with factory software, a CM 5.x rom made the phone useable as a daily driver, but it looked and felt outdated. So the Turbo with its Snapdragon 805, 1440p display, 3GB of ram, and it’s 3,900mah battery, still looks and runs like a modern phone. I won’t touch another Moto/Verizon exclusive, but I have not found a phone that hits all the features I want. That would be a flagship chipset from Qualcomm or Samsung, 6+GB of ram, a 4k display, a durable design, (the Turbo should have shattered into peices years ago) and around a 3,900mah battery. The display and battery are the two biggest sticking points. The battery is frustrating bc there are mid range phones that have what I want, minus the processing power and screen. So I keep waiting and looking, and the Turbo keeps on keeping on.

• southrncomfortjm

So a low end phone and now a mid-range graphics card. Gotta love the market today!

• DPete27

IMO, the only meaningful thing that’s changing/improving is camera quality.

• NeelyCam

To me the important improvement is battery life. Yes I haven’t really been on midrange/lowend, but going from S3 to S5 to S8, the major observation for me has been the constantly improving battery life.

• chuckula

OK, because I’m too lazy to figure this out on my own, is this iPhone ECKs like the letter ‘X’ or iPhone TEN like the roman numeral was used for OS TEN and we just skipped over iPhone 9 because screw odd numbers?

• tipoo

Writen X, pronounced 10, just like OSX used to be (except everyone said oh ess ex anyways)

• chuckula

Thanks for the info.

• Spunjji

It’s very cute how they expect everyone to follow their conventions on pronunciation “just because”

• tipoo

I mean, no one really did lol. OSX was nearly universally oh es ex outside of Apple keynotes.

• End User

Er, no. The well informed pronounced it correctly. I made sure of it.

Classic not_jonny_ive

• tipoo

First all-Apple GPU post Imagination. I wonder how well this would do in a Mac…It has to be wicked efficient. Desktops are starting to take advantage of FP16 too.

• NeelyCam

To me, this seems like a much-more-expensive S8 Plus or Note 8 that you can kill with water.

I have friends who have been waiting for this for 3 years. I would be disappointed if I were them, but I don’t think they are willing to look what’s behind the wall of the garden. So, maybe they are happy waiting for two months and paying $1150. Lol, I just checked. Best Buy has a pretty good offer for Note 8 if you turn in an iPhone 6. Maybe I should send them a link…?

By the way, I just convinced a long-term Apple fan to switch from iPhone 7 Plus to S8 Plus. She was surprised how intuitive Android was (in fact, she said she feels it’s easier to use). And, also surprisingly, transferring everything from iOS to S8 was easy using the Smart Switch app.

One more soul saved from eternal fire

• chuckula

[quote<]She was surprised how intuitive Android was (in fact, she said she feels it's easier to use). [/quote<] I don't even like Android that much so I'm really glad I'm not stuck in i-world.

• MOSFET

I, on the other hand, was lifelong Android user who joined you in the poking of fun, and even setting of fires, around the orchard. Then exactly 12 months ago, I needed a new phone when a 2.25 year old LG G3 broke. The best phone hardware that existed at that moment was iPhone 6S Plus and the price wasn’t bad (the 7 was lauching the following morning, but cost $$$+++!!!). I wasn’t happy about it, but the transition has been easy, and likewise I was surprised how easy Apple made it to import the important stuff.

I feel no fire on my soul, and one year later, I still marvel at how fast every subsystem is. I know that it will get iOS 11 soon, and that’s more than I can say for any Android handset I’ve ever owned.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]I feel no fire on my soul, and one year later, I still marvel at how fast every subsystem is. I know that it will get iOS 11 soon, and that's more than I can say for any Android handset I've ever owned.[/quote<] Stay away from the carrier-locked or heavily skinned (*cough* Samsung) phones, and you get timelier updates. Pixel has had Oreo for a couple weeks now, OnePlus 3 has it for closed beta users, and OnePlus 3T and 5 are promised Oreo "in the coming weeks". nokia has also promised timely updates for its Android line, fingers crossed. An added benefit of going carrierless is I can unlock the bootloader in my OP5 simply by hitting a toggle in Dev options, and can load Lineage, Oreo or Paranoid onto it if I want.

• Anonymous Coward

You of course had to list essentially every android phone with decent updates in order to make it fill some space. Lets not pretend the situation is acceptable.

I recently bought a Nokia 5 by the way.

• Voldenuit

Oh, I’m not saying the situation is acceptable, but consumers need to let OEMs and carriers know that ignoring security updates is not acceptable, and the only way they will listen is if we speak with our wallets.

• curtisb

The OEM’s are just as much to blame for the carrier branded phones. The reason it takes so long, or doesn’t happen at all, is because the OEM’s require them to revalidate the modem driver required for the new version of Android (and other SmartPhone OS’es)…and they make them pay for that revalidation. The OEM’s either don’t want to pay the fee, or drag their feet in doing so.

How does Apple do it? Ever seen an AT&T or Verizon branded phone? Plus the control both the software and hardware stack.

• Spunjji

Can’t identify with that myself. Something as simple as going “back” in iOS terminology can mean anything from reaching the lop-left corner of the screen, to swiping, to… well who knows what, it’s not like the app tells you or the phone has a handy button for it. Single-button interfaces are not my friends.

• lmc5b

A lot of good points, just want to point out that “you can kill with water” doesn’t seem accurate. From Apple.com: “iPhone X is precision-engineered at the microscopic level to protect against water, splashes, and dust.” in the fine print they mention IP67.

• Voldenuit

Well, IP67 (The Ecks) vs IP68 (S8).

You can submerge an IP68 device at 1.5m for 30m and it’ll be fine. Ecks users who see S8 users taking underwater videos at the pool will have to stay above 1m*.

* EDIT: Did some further research and seems the IP tests tend to be conducted in standby mode. So, yeah, can be very misleading.

• modulusshift

IPx8 is manufacturer defined, but supposed to be more strict than IPx7. Apple could theoretically say their phone could last 30 minutes at 1.1 m underwater and get IPx8 rated. So likely Apple didn’t bother defining an IPx8 criteria and so didn’t get rated on it.

Also, it’s the iPhone Ten, not the Ecks. Unless you’re deliberately doing that to annoy people, in which case carry on.

• DancinJack

Apple says the 8/8 Plus are only IP67.

• mcnabney

And they are wrong. S8 is IP68.

• trackerben

Wasn’t he referring to iPhone 8/8 Plus?

• null0byte

[quote<]And they are wrong. S8 is IP68. This is how the Apple Reality Distortion Field works. People believe lies that can be checked in seconds.[/quote<] Talk about someone who has succumbed to the Apple Rwality Distorition Field. Oh, I am DYING to know how: [quote<]Apple says the 8/8 Plus are only IP67[/quote<] Which, you know, refers to the iPhone 8 and 8+, not the Galaxy S8 or S8+ (pssst, note the lack of an S in that quote). How does that statement in any way shape or form have any bearing on what Samsung claims what standard the S8 meets/exceeds? Apple and people reporting on their announcement made no claims in comparison to competitors.

• Godel

“By the way, I just convinced a long-term Apple fan to switch from iPhone 7 Plus to S8 Plus. She was surprised how intuitive Android was (in fact, she said she feels it’s easier to use). ”

But she’s probably gotten the last software update she’ll ever see. 🙁

• NeelyCam

If it works, don’t fix it. Privacy is unnecessary if you’re not doing anything illegal. Right?

• Voldenuit

LG [url=https://lgsecurity.lge.com/security_updates.html<]tends to be pretty quick[/url<] about releasing security patches. Samsung, while historically bad, has been doing a lot better lately. Motorola? Motorola [url=https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/software-upgrade-security/g_id/5593<]has not updated their godd***n security bulletin page since 2016[/url<]!

• trackerben

Teach a spendy girl to rely on Apple and chances are you won’t hear much about mobile issues, or anything else for the matter.

Get her on the Android update and security treadmill, you can be her tech assist and social confidant from thereon. Might be worth the time and effort for the right one, and not just Mom.

• NeelyCam

Well, what I’ve heard from an Apple girl is that “I can’t take video because my phone is full” and “these new lightning headphones don’t work” and “this website keeps freezing on me” and “my phone shuts down even though it has half the battery life left, and now I have to carry my charger everywhere” and and and…

Now that she’s on S8 Plus, the only thing I’ve heard is that “wow, I finally managed to kill the battery!!” (after a day of phone calls) and “wow this takes really good pictures!”

• trackerben

Yeah, niggling little bugs are an ongoing parade. Apple’s deep warranties and lifecycle support are more important these days, although little can help those still using A5 devices from half a decade ago.

Android experiences can be a bit more committing than the capacity and polish issues of aging iOS hardware. Give it a year or two, she’s not even on the later treadmill yet. Then you’ll know if she’s worth the handholding.

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m simply not impressed. The price seems ridiculous. I feel like the price helps sell the prestige they want the phone to have. But reality I’m not sold on this design. Seems like more to go wrong than right. I think Samsung beat them this year.

• NeelyCam

For those that are stuck in Apple ecosystem, this price makes sense, because the phone is better than iPhone 8. It’s not like they will be comparing these to Android phones

• hasseb64

no botton = no go

• smilingcrow

On a first date?

• ludi

Could be an issue. Even though “swipe up” does the same thing now, the physical button was an easy, obvious, all purpose “get me out of here and start over” button that made the platform very easy for novice users to enter.

• DPete27

Yeah, swipe up is soooo intuitive. This is what’s wrong with smartphones these days. Sure, you only have to learn once that swipe up is the back/home function, but that’s not inherent for a first user.

I actually prefer how Android does it. My Gen 1 Moto X had the back/home/window buttons showing on the bottom of the screen by default, but you could swipe them away for a full screen view.

• MEATLOAF2

My Moto G5 plus has a fingerprint sensor that doubles as a multi function button which responds to swipes. Tap it to go home, swipe left to go back, hold for google assistant (which I have disabled of course), and swipe right to see open apps.

Not bad for a $300 phone. I broke the camera, but that would be at least partially my fault for keeping it in my pocket at work.

Nope. Nope nope nope. The facial recognition seems top-notch (edit: also nope. See emvath79’s comment) but I’m just not going to spend $1000 or more on a phone.

And the regular iPhone and iPhone Plus lines are seeing across-the-board price hikes for the second year running, although at least they’re providing a minimum 64GB of storage.

• tipoo

Joke’s on you! We’ve been spending a thousand dollars on new phones for years in Canada!

Wait…*cries*

• NeoForever

The only thing I am sure about is the “top-notch” part. But Idk about the facial recognition.

Well, I’m hedging my bets with the “seems to be” a bit, because you never know until you use it. It still seems to be better than Windows Hello webcams, at least.

Edit: and they have to be. Windows Hello on my Dell Inspiron 7000 series fails around half the time if the light is too dim or whatever.

• curtisb

[quote<]Windows Hello on my Dell Inspiron 7000 series fails around half the time if the light is too dim or whatever.[/quote<] To be fair, though, the iPhone is illuminating your face with IR. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean their isn't light there. 🙂

Is Windows Hello doing that? Because it sucks. Maybe the iPhone will do better. It will have to, because that would be serious egg on Apple’s face.

• curtisb

No, it’s not. I don’t know of any webcams that have IR emitters. I know that there were specific Windows Hello cameras, but I don’t think they have IR emitters.

My point was that the iPhone X [i<]is[/i<] doing that.

Yeah, but it seems like the generally accepted definition of “light (being) dim” as I said it is the absence or scarcity of visible light. I feel like you made an unnecessary correction.

😉

• curtisb

Yes, but “visible” should be defined as what the [i<]camera[/i<] can see since that's what the technology relies on. Without defining that, it's not an apples to apples comparison...no pun intended. 🙂 Again, point being that the camera can see IR light. It's not dim to the iPhone camera since the IR is being used for illumination. Have you ever seen IR illuminated security camera footage? It might as well be daylight out...except black and white.

• Renko

Windows Hello on my surface book is spot on and so quick that when I try to take videos to show people they can’t even tell what is happening. *shrug* Even in my apartment with no light except coming from the sb.

Well, like everything else I suppose it relies on the hardware implementation. You paid about twice what I paid for my laptop, so I would hope your experience is better. 😆

• modulusshift

Sheesh, no one who commented got this. 🙂

• NeoForever

It seems so.

• emvath79

Well the facial recognition failed the first two times Kraig tried it on stage so…..

Ah, I didn’t see that. At least it’s in par with Windows Hello. No way I’d pay $1000 for that, though….

• GTVic

The phone is only $200, the rest is $800

• dpaus

Let me be the first to say “I’m just… Krogoth’d”