Google teases an October 4 date for likely Pixel 2 reveal

It's that time of year. No, I'm not talking about the leaves changing colors. All the big smartphone vendors are unleashing their new handsets. The iPhone X and the Galaxy Note 8 have joined the party, and now it's Google's turn. A new placeholder page from the search giant is pointing to an October 4 reveal of what's presumably the Pixel 2 phone.

"Thinking about changing phones?" Google asks. "Stay tuned for more on October 4" is the answer. The date marks the one-year anniversary of the reveal of the original Pixel and Pixel XL phones. October 4 is also three weeks out, which gives us plenty of time to speculate about the phone. While we don't have any firm details on what the Pixel 2 will offer, the video above suggests that the camera will once again be a focal point, alongside battery life and Google Assistant-related features.

There are, of course, plenty of leaks and rumors to look at. Ars Technica says we can expect two both regular and XL models again, but that they'll be handled by two different vendors this time around. Rumor has it that LG will handle the larger phone, while HTC will take care of the smaller model. The XL version will allegedly arrive with the same ultra-thin bezels we're seeing on other top-tier phones, while the baseline Pixel will look more like the phones of yesteryear.

The rumor mill has been abuzz since this summer claiming that the phone will feature the same squeeze functionality seen on the HTC U11, and that the headphone jack will go the way of the dodo. That last part would be somewhat ironic since just last year Google mocked other phones for dropping the feature. One thing we can be almost certain of, though, is that the phone will launch with Android Oreo baked in.

The reveal will happen on October 4. Pricing and availability will likely be announced then.

• VinnyC

And here I am still rocking a Nexus 5.

• psuedonymous

If the new Pixel is properly IP rated (and not just ‘rain resistant’ as the current one is), and adds Qi charging back in, I could see myself swapping out the Pixel XL. Otherwise, I’m happy with the phone as it is in a waterproof case.

• VincentHanna

It would sure be nice if they brought back the large, forward facing stereo speakers from the 6P.

I also wouldn’t say no to a Wacom Stylus.

• DancinJack

Go buy a Note?

• Shobai

I’ve heard that the RMA rate on the Pixel phones has been atrocious: were the questions in the video only about the Pixel?

[edit: typo]

• designerfx

Unfortunately I can only provide anecdotal advice, but for me personally I have gone through 6 pixel phones (2 purchased/4 replacements, last 2 after that finally work) and it’s been what…9 months? Last two haven’t been owned long enough to break as far as I can tell.

Also LG makes phones with an even higher RMA rate, so LG being involved sounds incredibly awful. I can’t recommend strongly enough to avoid LG phones forever, or for people to google “LG bootloop” (Which was a problem going back from LG G3 through at least G5)

• chuckula

That’s how my G4 bit the dust. I was just minding my own business when… spontaneous boot loop of death hit it.

• Stochastic

Hopefully this will no longer be a problem: [url<]https://android.gadgethacks.com/news/android-oreo-has-automatic-bootloop-fix-called-rescue-party-0179586/[/url<]

• blindbox

That won’t resolve it. LG’s bootloop issue was a hardware issue due to bad solder reflow, and they didn’t fix it across many generations. I doubt it’s been fixed now either.

• christos_thski

Android manufacturers dropping the headphone jack might just well advertise their phones with “just accept any silliness Apple throws at you, because we’re going to ape it anyway”.

• tsk

At least Apple is making some serious cash from dropping the headphone jack, so for them it makes sense, on an android phone, not so much.

• shaq_mobile

i feel way better about a company when they make money through inconveniencing customers. if they aren’t making money and making their products worse, its just like… comeon man. you know?

• End User

I brought both my Jaybird X2 and my AirPods on my current holiday. I used my X2s once. The freedom of using completely wireless headphones is amazing.

• cegras

Maybe Google can give me one of those in exchange for boot looping Nexus 5X?

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m ready for a new phone, been 2 years. like my current model but it is a tad slow. I’d like to keep it as my backup/tablet phone around the house and get a new personal phone.

• Voldenuit

“Why can’t my phone-”

“- have a goddamn headphone jack?”

• just brew it!

On the bright side, maybe it’ll get them to finally fix the glitchy Android Bluetooth stack.

• tipoo

I’m placing 8:1 odds they copycat removing the headphone jack /without/ fixing the Android bluetooth stack.

This thing is really going to have to “wow” me to get me to give up my iPhone 6S Plus at this point. The iPhone 8 didn’t do it, but I keep thinking it’d be nice to have a Google phone to go into my small collection of test phones for work. Not that they make up a significant portion of our downloads – the top 10 devices are carrier variants of the Galaxy S7, S8, and their + variants, according to our Google Play statistics. But if it’s really wow-some it’d also be a daily driver.

• DPete27

Biggest selling point to me in “flagship” (in that they all have similar hardware/camera/storage/etc) phones is water resistance. IIRC, the Galaxy phones lead the way on that front. Aside from cracked screens (Droid Turbo 2!!) my #1 concern to longevity is water ingress.

2nd is updates. Apple and Google are front-runners in this category, but Samsung isn’t far behind for the most part. I don’t follow HTC and LG as extensively in this regard but I don’t have any complaints in terms of updates to their flagship phones. Consider [i<]most[/i<] people don't keep a phone for more than 3 years anyway....meh.

That would be a big thing, for sure, but software support is something that takes people and therefore more money to do. So that’s what I’m looking at. Samsung just isn’t timely with big feature updates.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]2nd is updates. Apple and Google are front-runners in this category, but Samsung isn't far behind for the most part.[/quote<] Cough. Samsung took over 140 days to roll out Nougat. At least they're not as bad as Motorola. They haven't updated their [url=https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/software-upgrade-security/g_id/5593<]security bulletins page[/url<] since *August 2016*.

• cygnus1

Samsung is actually pretty terrible about updates unless your buying a flagship Galaxy S or Note model.

• tsk

It’s going to be a V30 with stock android 8.0, whether that wows you or not is up to you. Of course you’d be more productive on Android, navigation and multitasking is better handled there.

I don’t like the direction Apple is heading in its bold, buttonless world. Gestures are not intuitive, IMO, especially when gestures aren’t consistent across the platform:

Swipe up:
        Everything through iPhone 8 Plus – control center
        iPhone X – go home

Swipe down:
        Everything through iPhone 8 Plus – notification center
        iPhone X – well it depends on which corner of the screen you were on

But, I mean, I gotta use something. My iPhone is paid for.

• tsk

I agree, the swiping navigation of the iPhone X has me very skeptical. I shall not pass final judgment until I try it myself, but what I’m hearing from hands on experiences is a mixed bag.

• Lordhawkwind

I just sold my Nexus 6p 32gb (2 years old) for £150 and bought a new black Samsung S8 64gb. Bought it from Samsung UK direct and they also gave me a £156 discount for trading in my wife’s really old iPhone 4S (been in a draw unused for about 18 months). So cost me £383 all in sim free and I sorted out my own 12 month tariff contract. Plus I got the latest £120 Gear VR thrown in for free so very happy chappy. TBH not used the VR yet but I suppose I’ll get around to it eventually.

Never bothered with the original Pixel and not too bothered with Pixel 2 either. Have to say nearly everything about the S8 is way better than the 6p apart from Bixby. At least Samsung provide Google Assistant as well so I can just ignore Bixby for the time being. The screen is truly amazing and playing media on it is awesome. The overall specs are also way better than the iPhone X so this will be my daily phone for the next two years for sure.

Is there a way to turn Bixby off entirely?

• smilingcrow

Nuke him from orbit. AKA buy a phone without known malware.

• bthylafh

Has there been *any* word about the purported Nexus 7 from Huawei?

• willmore

I strongly wish they would produce another Nexus tablet in that size range–maybe 8″, but not another 10″. My 2013 N7 is getting very long in the tooth–though it still runs fine for what I use it for.

• willmore

I just googled about this and the results look like random noise. The only things that seem to be agreed on are that they have a codename for an unexpected device in the recent AOSP and that Huawei backed out of the deal and that HTC stepped in.

So, I’m not holding my breath.

• chuckula

[quote<]It's that time of year. No, I'm not talking about the leaves changing colors.[/quote<] It is a time of darkness. The [url=https://soundcloud.com/bobandtom/riding-the-pumpkin<] pumpkin spice once again claims helpless victims.[/url<]

• DPete27