Gigabyte’s Z370 boards are ready to dip into Coffee Lake

Greetings, gerbils. You're probably raring to have one of Intel's recently-announced Coffee-flavored desktop CPUs, but you're going to need the proverbial holder to set that cup o' joe on. Gigabyte is here to help, and it's just announced a whopping total of eight Z370-based motherboards. Any resemblance to existing Z270 offerings is but a coincidence—there's no need to adjust your monitor.

We're going to tackle these from the bottom up, pointing out the key upgrades as we move up the product range. The most basic (and presumably affordable) model is the Z370 HD3. This board keeps things simple with its single M.2 socket, Intel Ethernet adapter, and support for RAM speeds of at least 3866 MT/s. Sadly, there's no onboard RGB LED lighting but there are headers with support for light strips. A Realtek ALC892 handles soundwave-creating duties.

The Z370 HD3P steps up the game with Type-C and Type-A USB 3.1 Gen2 ports handled by an ASMedia 3142 controller, plus a pair of M.2 sockets. There's also an additional front panel header for another USB 3.1 Gen2 port, and metal reinforcement around the main PCIe slot. Those with a penchant for sweet audio will enjoy this board's Realtek ALC1220 codec.

Meanwhile, the Z370XP SLI is quite similar to the HD3P above, except it also offers SLI support, as implied by its name. There's also an onboard header for a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card for those looking to connect speedy peripherals to their PC. This time around, Gigabyte chose to reinforce the first two PCIe slots, in a nod towards a multi-card setup. There's no internal USB 3.1 Gen2 header on this board, though.

Things start getting a little serious with the Z370 Aorus Gaming K3, the first in the lineup of decked-out Aorus boards with onboard RGB LED lighting and support for lighting strips with individually-addressable RGB LEDs. Sweet tunes are handled by a Realtek ALC1220 codec coupled with Wima capacitors.

The Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 tweaks the formula just a little bit. The Intel Ethernet controller is replaced by a Kiler E2500 chip, and the front-panel USB 3.1 Gen2 connector makes a return.

Things get kicked up a couple notches with the Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming, which could probably have easily been named the Ultra Gaming 4. This model comes with many-zone RGB LED lighting, most notably across the main PCIe slots and DIMM slots. Gigabyte's DAC-UP 2 ports show up for the party for those looking for a particularly clean signal for choice USB peripherals. Gigabit Ethernet connectivity is taken care of by an Intel chip.

Next up, we have the high-end Z370 Aorus Gaming 5. This board can take in DIMMs clocked at 4133 MT/s and beyond, and there's a combo networking setup with an Intel Ethernet controller and an Intel 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 adapter. Creative's Sound BlasterX 720° audio enhancements make an appearance, as does a trio of M.2 slots and a dedicated BCLK generator. Finally, there's metal around the DIMM slots and additional RGB LED zones—the more the merrier.

The big honcho in the lineup is the Z370 Aorus Gaming 7. There's no Wi-Fi on this model, but you do get a pair of Ethernet chips in both Killer and Intel flavors. Since this board is all about high-end gear, the Realtek ALC1220 codec is paired up with an ESS Sabre 9018 DAC and both Nichicon and Wima capacitors along the signal path. All three PCIe x16 slots and one of the M.2 slots are studded with metal. Oh, LED zones? All of them.

There's no word on pricing for Gigabyte's Z370 mobos, but they're hitting stores on October 5. We figure their prices should be reasonably similar to that of Z270-based models at launch.

• Delta9

My distaste for RGB lighting seems to grow more extreme with each PC component that is festooned with them. The only time RGB lighting has made anything legitimately better on a motherboard is when the LEDs are mounted in the I/O shield to light the ports outside of the PC.

• deruberhanyok

I switched away from Asus and to Gigabyte a few years ago as Asus’ motherboard prices just kept going up and up and up. I’ve been really happy with them since then.

As long as you’re trying to avoid the blingy bling, at least. Trying to find a “gaming” motherboard with LEDs these days is getting pretty tough, and prices for boards from everyone is still going up.

But the “regular” ones, like the HD3/HD3P at the top of the list? Those are still reasonably priced and not overdesigned. Me likey!

(Their Ryzen boards don’t have quite as many non-blingy options, annoyingly).

I can say I’ve assembled at least 500 PCs using the Gigabyte HD3 models from various generations and their failure/problem rate is exceedingly low.

Onle two RMAs that I have on record, and one of them was because the PC cooked itself in a tiny enclosure that suffered a ventilation failure – not really operating within the manufacturer recommended environment….

• DragonDaddyBear

I visit TR multiple times a day to see what gets released, not for the hardware but the puns in the headlines. It makes my day just a touch brighter.

• DPete27

I like the x1 slot above the first x16 slot on all boards.

no mATX? c’mon.

• Kraaketaer

It’s kinda’ interesting how scrolling down this page becomes a kind of illustration of the evolution of RGB. MOAR GLOW PLZ.

• JosiahBradley

It sucks you normally have to pay for all the extra useless features to get a good overclocking board. I just want lots of strong VRMs that run cool and provide stable clean power. Good cooling support is a must. I like the reinforced PCIe connectors and solid rear shields. But I’ve now got to pay for RGBs and ten flavors of USB just to get me some sweet overclocking in.

• JustAnEngineer

This is Gigabyte we’re talking about. Wait until a “TUF” model appears.
      [url<]http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/Intel-Z370[/url<]

• JosiahBradley

I’m waiting for the MSI MPower or XPower boards. Might be biased a bit using multiple MPower boards and getting really good overclocking results. Depending on Coffee Lake OC prowess I may finally upgrade. If 5Ghz all core seems doable on water I’m going for it.

• JustAnEngineer

That’s eight ATX behemoths with way too many LEDs. Show us the more practical micro-ATX versions, please.

• albundy

didnt the 270 series just come out? the sales are gonna slump somewhere.

• swaaye

I think the only modern hobbyist PC component that’s not embarrassing to have others see is maybe the CPU? The top two “budget” models or whatever they are supposed to be are ok I guess. I usually look for micro ATX now though.

Seems like the best board there is the Z370XP SLI and after that you’re just paying for increasingly more lights and an ever-larger Trogdor logo.

That’s an insult to Trogdor.

• Fieryphoenix

Oh, I don’t know, I definitely fear that something on those monstrosities might short out and burninate my PC.