Cougar’s Puri keyboards are simple and affordable

When a product aims to become the new standard in its class, it has to be functional while remaining accessible. That's exactly the target that Cougar Gaming is aiming for with its new Puri keyboards. The boards come in full-size and tenkeyless (TKL) versions, and unlike a number of affordable mechanical keyboards, they have genuine Cherry MX switches onboard.

Cougar Puri mechanical gaming keyboard

The order of the day with the Puri and Puri TKL is apparently professional gaming. As a result, these keyboards don't have a ton of flash or fiddly features. They're designed for durability and basic function, two characteristics cherished by those with gaming on their minds and nothing else. The Puri boards have detachable cables and include magnetic protective covers—both welcome features for portability.

Cougar Puri TKL with magnetic cover attached

Thanks to their standard shape, these keyboards should feel fairly familiar to anyone that sets fingers on them. Both models have per-key configurable white LED backlighting, anti-ghosting, and N-key rollover. Cougar says the keyboards will be available at the end of this month. The Puri should go for $80, while the Puri TKL ought to set you back $70.

• Flying Fox

I take it that it is Cherry MX Reds in these things?

• stdRaichu

Don’t know why but it’s not in the blurb, but the [url=https://cougargaming.com/products/keyboards/puri/<]picture on their site[/url<] is of MX reds. Manual again just says "cherry MX switches" which leaves me slightly hopeful it'll be brought out in a couple of different varieties - hoping for an MX blue option in en_GB myself... Interestingly the user manual's got a whole host of keyboard shortcuts listed for setting up the backlighting which, as predominantly a linux user at home these days, makes me hopeful there's no need to fiddle around with poorly written applications in order to get the lighting to work nicely. Thankfully no RGB nonsense here. Edit: [url=https://cougargaming.com/fileadmin/downloads/EDM/PURI_EDM.jpg<]This pic[/url<] would suggest it's going to be made available in MX white/clear, black, brown, red and blue switches.

• just brew it!

Hmm… yeah, if there’s no option for MX blue that’s gonna rule this one out for me.

FWIW Ducky has backlight control that doesn’t require host software. I prefer the feel of my RK-9000 to the Ducky Zero though; IMO the wire stabilizers on the large keys make for smoother operation than the multiple-plunger design used by Ducky.

• RAGEPRO

I didn’t mention it precisely because Cougar doesn’t explicitly say. Nice find with that image!

I do like how Cougar calls the Cherry MX “the first and best” mechanical switches. I do like MX switches, but come on. Haha.

• Flying Fox

It said “customizable”. So without software it is going to be somewhat tricky. So crappy apps may still be in play. 🙁

• ronch

The most noteworthy thing about that keyboard is the cover. Why didn’t anyone else, to my knowledge, think about this? I’m aware of flexible keyboard covers though, those that you place on the keyboard as a single piece and you don’t remove when you type, but those are kinda clumsy and mushy.

• hansmuff

There have been hard plastic keyboard covers in the distant past. I remember them for home computers in the C64 and Atari ST era. I think once detached keyboards took over, people stopped caring. And today, where the majority of folks use $10 keyboards, they’re correct to ignore the issue altogether.

Also, I think while those covers sound like a great idea, they are not preventing dirty keyboards because those come from food on your fingers, boogers, dirt, grime etc. I mean, take just about anyone’s keyboard, lift it up and turn it over, give it a good shake. What comes out is nothing less than gross to the max.

• just brew it!

I clean mine out semi-regularly. Occasionally they even get a full disassembly and wash-n-dry; not because I want to, but because I seem to spill drinks into them every couple of years!

• just brew it!

That’s not a keyboard cover… [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_Portable<]THIS[/url<] is a keyboard cover. 😉

• BillyBuerger

This thing looks like it might be an alternative to the Rosewill RK-9000V2 as a no-nonsense and reasonably priced Cherry board. For people who just want a good quality board but want to stick with a full sized standard layout. That’s not me personally but I could see picking this up for some of our employees or something.

• just brew it!

Indeed. This goes on my “if I need to replace my RK9000” list.

Though at this point, I am starting to wonder if my RK9000s (I have one at home and one at work) will outlive me. They’re around 7 years old, and to be fair I’ve had to do some DIY maintenance/repair over the years (washed beer/soda spills out of them, replaced a couple of keyswitches, and replaced a controller chip that got zapped by a massive static electricity blast). The printing on the keycaps is showing some signs of fading and many of the keys are shiny now instead of matte, but these keyboards still feel and work as good as new.

• christos_thski

A magnetic protective cover? My prayers have been answered.

Hey, I’ve got a slogan already.

Puri keyboard. The cat owners best friend.

/lights up smoke, wears fedora

• kamikaziechameleon

These are nice. Anyone see the MK Fission keyboards. thought those looked nice too.

Corsair, if only they had MX Green keys would be for me. I have blues and they are too squishy. I tried greens and fell in love.

• just brew it!

I like the slightly softer touch of the blues. The greens are closer to the stiffness of a buckling spring mechanism; Model M enthusiasts who are looking for an NKRO option probably ought to consider something with Cherry greens.