Tuesday deals: cheap Ryzens, motherboards, and storage

Sometimes, when I sit down at my workstation with a fresh cup of coffee and a Twinkie, I peer out the window at the rain and think: "I should go shopping." Fortunately, in 2017 that means braving aggressive advertisements and slimy scams rather than stepping into the storm. This morning, the superior shopping opportunities are on Ryzen CPUs and a few compatible motherboards. We've also got a killer offer on an external hard drive.

Jeff told you yesterday about some killer prices on Ryzen CPUs at the 'Egg, but you can actually pick them up even cheaper today at Wal-Mart. Wally World has the Ryzen 7 1800X for $100 off, bringing it to $399. If you're handy with overclocking, you might pick up most of the performance of that chip with a Ryzen 7 1700X for $299 instead. Sure, Coffee Lake is less than two days away, but it's not as if these Ryzen CPUs will suddenly become slow.

You'll need a motherboard for your new machine, and Newegg can help you out there. All of ASRock's X370 motherboards are on sale. The standout deal from the group is on the Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X board that normally goes for $160. Newegg's marked the board down to $130, a good price for a full-featured X370 board with dual M.2 sockets, an Intel Ethernet controller, metal-wrapped PCIe slots, and SLI support. There's a $20 mail-in rebate on offer, too.

Finally, if you need a big chunk of external storage, Best Buy is practically giving away Seagate Backup Plus drives with 4TB capacity. These are desktop-style drives that connect to USB 3.0 and a power adapter. The drives were originally priced at $120, but right now they're going for just $70. That's not a lot of cash for 4TB of storage, so we'd jump on this deal sooner rather than later if you're keen to pick one up. We'll do the math for you: the price works out to $17.5 per terabyte. That's probably a historic low right there.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at the Microsoft Store and Das Keyboard's shop.

• dpaus

That kind of discount from Walmart on the eve of Coffee Lake tells me where the Intel FUD team has been as reliably as if they were wearing a GPS collar.

• chuckula

Wait, I thought Intel was evil because it bribed Walmart to not sell RyZen.

Now Intel is bribing Walmart to sell RyZen parts at a discount to encourage as many to be sold as possible before CoffeeLake even launches so that there will be fewer people in the market for CoffeeLake?

No wonder Intel keeps failing at everything it does!

• Mr Bill

[quote<] Kevin McCullers: Man, why don't we just do his job, so we can do our job and get the fuck out of here? Steve: What do you mean, "do his job?" What am I, a cold-blooded killer? I'm not a cold-blooded killer. Kevin McCullers: Now, wait a minute... Steve: No, you wait a minute. You want to kill the good guy but not be the bad guy. Doesn't work like that. You have to wait until the bad guy kills the good guy, then when you kill the bad guy, you're the good guy. Kevin McCullers: So - just to clarify - if we do his job we're the bad guys, and if we do our job we're the good guys. Steve: Yes. Kevin McCullers: That's... great.[/quote<]

• RDFSteve

At least they got a visit. We just had the local Intel rep call us.

• meerkt

$70/4TB is nice!
    But external, and Seagate…

• just brew it!

There’s probably a standard SATA drive in there, if you’re willing to do a little warranty-voiding. Can’t help you on the Seagate issue though. 😉

• willmore

You would only void the warranty of the enclosure, not the drive.

• meerkt

Anyplace to find more info on that?

• willmore

There was a discussion of it over at PCper on a recent podcast of theirs.

• meerkt

I think nowadays native USB are more common?

• just brew it!

Yes, they are. I was under the (possibly incorrect) impression that this was more common with the 2.5″ form factor drives.

• Waco

Western Digital 2.5″ drives, yes. I’ve never seen a 3.5″ or non-WD USB native drive.

• willmore

‘native’ might be going too far. Most of the designs so far have been USB<>SATA built onto a SATA drive all in one board. You’re still paying the price of the protocol emulation, etc.

• LoneWolf15

I’m not buying from Wally World unless Roy Wally delivers them personally.

• JDDuVall

They bought Jet.com – so I assume you’re really buying from what was once Jet.

• LoneWolf15

Whoosh. [url<]http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0005933/quotes[/url<]

• techguy

Micro Center has been selling the 1800x for $349 for awhile now. Yeah, you’ve got to go into a store to get that price but you can also save $30 on a motherboard bundle while you’re there. Other Ryzen chips are even cheaper. R7 1700 is $279 and R5 1600x is $219.

• auxy

The point of these posts is so TR can get paid when people buy stuff using the links, ya dingus. They don’t have a deal with Micro Center. (´д⊂)

• the

I would think showing up in person is a bigger limitation.

Flip side, I’m within walking distance to a microcenter. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

• willmore

Remind me to hate you. I am only within walking distance of a Fry’s.

• jensend

I enjoy a good hike and keep up a good pace, but it would take a good 2-3 weeks of nothing but walking for me to reach either a Fry’s or a Microcenter.

Less of a “hey, this part didn’t come with a cable, I’ll just stroll on down and get one” situation and more of a “do I buy more rations or more bullets? how many wagon wheels do I take? should I set a strenuous pace despite the increased risk of being told YOU HAVE DIED OF DYSENTERY?” situation.

Since CompUSA (bleh) went under only a couple cases of desperation have led me to grab equipment at a brick and mortar place.

• Srsly_Bro

Coffeelake will be what Intel should have done years ago. My Sandy bridge will get retired, finally.

• EzioAs

I’m not sure I’ll replace my Ivy Bridge when Coffee Lake is out. Sure Coffee Lake is a significant improvement in the mainstream category (at least for Intel folks) since it brings more cores but I think I’ll wait for Canon Lake or next-gen Ryzen.

• Airmantharp

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…

• EzioAs

But what if someone steals it?! *gasp*