Oculus permanently chops the Rift + Touch bundle price to $399

Remember the Summer of Rift promotion? The previously-expensive Oculus Rift-and-Touch combo pack had its price dropped to $399 during summer. According to Oculus, the move resulted in shipping a couple truckloads of headsets, so the company took the next logical step. The Oculus Rift bundle is now permanently priced at $399.

To recap, the Oculus Rift bundle includes a VR headset, two tracking sensors, a pair of hand controllers, and a pack of VR titles including the awesome Robo Recall and the Medium and Quill applications. That'll be enough to get even the most demading VR users started.

The Oculus Rift didn't have the best of launches, as it originally released without the hand controllers and was mostly overshadowed by the HTC Vive. But credit must be given where credit is due, and Oculus (and its parent company Facebook) has pulled off some ballsy moves with bundles, pricing, and even with SDK features. Considering that $399 is what roughly what you'd pay for a mid-to-high-end graphics card, the amount seems pretty reasonable for a high-end VR experience.

• Pville_Piper

I figured that they would do this with the Windows sets coming out… The Samsung has gotten some pretty good reviews for the most part.

I’m looking at getting a high end graphics card around the middle of February with the intention of either a 34″ 21:9, 1440p monitor or a VR setup.

• Voldenuit

First-gen headsets aren’t ‘high end’ IMO.

I wasn’t going to pay $799 for an Oculus or Vive, but I’m still not paying $399 for the same. Samsung Odyssey specs at $499, however, sound right up my alley (assuming the inside-out tracking doesn’t suck).

• cygnus1

I concur on all points.

The Odyssey is almost good enough in terms of screen resolution I think. I haven’t used one yet but the Rift/Vive’s 2160×1200 we have at the office is still way too grainy and suffers from screen door effect.

I’d guess that the 3200×1440 of the Odyssey might be enough to stop the graininess. As for screen door effect it’s something you slowly adjust to and forget about, a bit like wearing sunglasses with a smudge on the lens; After 10 minutes of failing to wipe the smudge away, your brain just kind of learns to ignore it.

• Voldenuit

I’d really like to know how much of the screen-door and color-fringing artefacts on Rift/Vive are due to the panel/resolution/subpixel layout and how much are due to the optics.

I’d wager that at least the latter are mostly due to the particular fresnel lenses used in the optics, but would like to see proper objective comparisons of the major HMDs once the windows VR headsets are out.

• psuedonymous

[quote<]I'd really like to know how much of the screen-door and color-fringing artefacts on Rift/Vive are due to the panel/resolution/subpixel layout and how much are due to the optics.[/quote<] SDE is all down the the panel, specifically the Fill Factor and any on-panel mitigations (e.g. the diffusion filters the Rift and PSVR use). Colour-fringing is all down to the optics. Eliminating it requires an achromat lens, and if you want to avoid having your eyeball intersect the lens or a HMD that sticks several feet out from your face, that means you either use a lower-power doublet and acept some colour fringing (and even more at the periphery when your pupil moves physically off-axis as your eye rotates) or a hybrid Fresnel as everyone currently uses (fringing is consistent across the whole pupil movement range, but at the cost of contrast fringing).

• meerkt

I recall a review, maybe of pre-release hardware, where the reviewer said that after extended VR sessions the screen door remained etched to his eyes for hours. Isn’t this still an issue?

Gotta admit, it doesn’t affect me at all, and I only have a DK2 which has far worse screen-door effect than the CV1 or Vive….

• Entroper

I don’t recall that ever being an issue. I’ve done loads of multi-hour sessions, with DK1, DK2, and CV1, and never had a persistent screen door etched to my eyes.

• psuedonymous

[quote<]First-gen headsets aren't 'high end' IMO.[/quote<] There isn't a 'higher end' you can go out and buy. Even with 'Government Money' the absolute best you could do is a bespoke system using a commercial tracking system (e.g. Vicon) plus a HMD using prototype panels of slightly higher resolution. Many orders of magnitude the cost, fur a very minimal improvement in actual performance (and nothing to actually do with your HMD you have not coded yourself).

• Voldenuit

You could wait a couple weeks and order one of the higher-res windows VR headsets from dell, lenovo, acer or samsung.

• psuedonymous

And deal with blurred vision (lack of low-persistence displays), lower FoV, and worse SDE. And far inferior tracking.