GeForce 388.00 drivers are ready to meet Destiny 2

Graphics card driver development is a battle against the ever-changing tides of game releases. Nvidia's latest attempt at building its ideal sand castle just inches from the waterline is today's GeForce Game Ready 388.00 WQHL driver package. The whole number suggests this update is a big deal, and that's probably the case for PC gamers itching to play Bungie's Destiny 2 and Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed Origins. There's even a Destiny 2 SLI profile for gamers still clinging to multi-GPU setups.

Nvidia included some performance recommendations for Destiny 2, a game that's widely expected to be one of this year's biggest PC releases. The green graphics team suggests a GeForce GTX 1060 for gamers that want 60 FPS with highest settings at 1920×1080, a GeForce GTX 1070 for highest settings at 60 FPS and 2560×1440, and a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti for 60 FPS with a blend of high and highest settings at 3840×2160. The company also has information about graphics card choices for playing Destiny 2 at a blistering 120 FPS

The release notes include additional details. The updated drivers include fixes for stuttering in some games when playing on a laptop with a GeForce GTX 1080 on a G-Sync external display. Alienware laptops with GM204-based graphics card (GeForce GTX 965, GTX 970, and GTX 980) should be able to install the drivers now, too.

Graphics drivers are enormously complex, and none are without their flaws. Unfixed problems include seeing no display output with GeForce GTX 780 Ti cards in SLI connected to one DisplayPort and two DVI monitors, and grpahical corruption in Adobe Reader 3D on GeForce GTX 1070 cards. Users with a Kepler-based GeForce Titan card and an X399 motherboard might experience "OS failures," and those with their Nvidia cards connected to HDTVs might see a scrambled picture due to the driver forcing 12bpc output after updating to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

Destiny 2 comes out for PC tomorrow and Assassin's Creed Origins is scheduled for a release on Friday. Until November 29, gamers can get a copy of Destiny 2 tossed in with the purchase of an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 or a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, or a pre-built desktop or laptop containing one of those cards. Gerbils with Nvidia graphics cards can update to the latest version through GeForce Experience or head over to Nvidia's GeForce driver download page.

• MrDweezil

Probably doesn’t mean anything, but I can’t think of another time they’ve released a .00 driver version.

• DancinJack

362.00
      359.00

Mind you, these are Windows XP days.

• LostCat

Sweet. I’ll have to pass on the PC version though unless some of my friends jump in. 🙁

• Voldenuit

Pretty much the only reason I got Dest2 was to play with my online friends.

Pretty sure the only reason my friends got it was to play with me.

Commence infinite bootstrap recursion.

• LostCat

Haha 🙂 Only reason I got the original was my friends on X1 were always playing.

• aspect

People are already dropping the game on console. As of now it has no long term playability.

• ColeLT1

I got a bunch of copies (video card freebies) and gave to some friends, now I have 8 people and turns out the game only supports 3 player co-op or 4 player PvP… 3 player in 2017??!?!

• FakeAlGore

There are three-, four-, and six-player co-op activities in Destiny 2.

With three players, you may play missions, explore the four patrol regions, and complete strikes (self-contained missions designed specifically for three players). The latter includes a special activity called a Nightfall strike, which is an enhanced-difficulty version of a regular strike with separate challenges.

Four-player activities are currently limited to PvP modes such as the Crucible (a mix of different 4v4 game modes), Trials of the Nine (a special weekend-only game mode in which consecutive wins earn higher rewards), and Iron Banner (a monthly, week-long event with unique rewards).

The only six-player activity currently in the game is the Leviathan raid. It has a regular version and a “prestige” version that has some minor mechanics changes and more difficult encounters.

I’ve been playing on my PS4 Pro since launch, but I bought the PC version to play with a different set of friends.

• Takeshi7

Every one of my friends got in on PS4 even though we all have gaming PCs. We all had Destiny 1 on PS4, so it was a natural progression of that. Also because PlayStation gets the exclusives first, and it’s a more level playing field.

• LostCat

Rock on. I’ll be getting an Xbox One X on launch day (assuming Amazon has their crap in order) so the PS4 Pro version didn’t make any sense to me.

(not to mention my friends list there consists of two people. heh)