Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is rolling out to PCs worldwide

Windows 10's Fall Creators Update has hit the mainstream. If you haven't updated yet, any Windows 10 machines you have will no doubt be nagging you before long. The latest update to Microsoft's bread-and-butter operating system comes just six months after the original Creators Update back in April. That's exactly according to Microsoft's plan, as the company has moved to a semi-annual release pattern for what we would once have called service packs.

The Fall Creators Update's unembellished name hints at the nature of its contents. We already talked about it a bit before, but the highlights this time around are built-in eye-tracking and Windows Mixed Reality support. Eye-tracking can now be used as an accessibility feature for folks with limited mobility. Meanwhile, Windows Mixed Reality headsets like the Dell Visor and Samsung HMD Odyssey will bring VR and AR content—including at least some SteamVR titles—to the wider audience of Windows users.

One of the update's more useful features is OneDrive Files On Demand. The feature lets you see and use your OneDrive files as if they're stored locally, and Windows will take care of automatically downloading them for you. Microsoft has a page up with more information about this functionality.

Windows Ink has been renamed to Windows Inking, and has support for vandalizing a broader variety of applications. Going along with that change, the new Windows release has a revised Photos app that fully supports drawing on both static and animated images. The app can also add filters, typed text, 3D effects, full 3D objects, and even audio to slideshows and animations. There's also a Mixed Reality Viewer that can be used to see 3D objects (such as those created in Paint 3D) projected into real space.

Inking support extends to Edge as well, where you can annotate books in reading mode. Edge itself got a few other features, too: you can finally hit F11 to go full-screen like every other browser, you can edit the URLs of saved favorites, and you can pin sites directly to your taskbar. It's nice to see Microsoft's new browser adding functionality that we enjoyed from the old one. The Windows Store has likewise changed name to Microsoft Store, and it has a new UI to go along with the new title.

Like myself, there are probably a fair few gerbils who use Windows primarily for gaming. The new update includes functionality for us PC gamers. Game Mode, a feature that frees up system resources for use by fullscreen games, has apparently been improved in some way. A new option called Xbox Networking could help streamline port forwarding and the process of troubleshooting other game-related network problems. Windows' Task Manager is finally getting the much-welcome ability to monitor GPU usage, too.

Part of the reason for the relatively uninspiring feature list for this update could be that Microsoft's focus was on improving Windows' security. The company's Windows blog says that the update includes changes to the way Defender and SmartScreen work, and that there's a new type of protection against ransomware. Controlled folder access lets users create a set of protected folders that cannot be modified by any app that isn't on a whitelist.

The Fall Creators Update is rolling out in stages, so if you don't have it available yet, you may not be included in the first phase. If you want the update now, manually tell your Windows 10 device to check for updates. If that still doesn't work, you can head to Microsoft's update download site and grab it directly. You can either do an in-place upgrade with the Update Assistant, or if you're like me, wipe the disk and start fresh using the Media Creation Tool. If you're already running the update, let us know what you think in the comments.

• Slade

Make sure you check your settings. Updates on Windows 10 have a habit of not respecting the user’s settings. For example, with this Fall update “Fast Startup” was re-enabled for me.

• cygnus1

Are you not a fan of ‘Fast Startup’ and the hibernation of session 0 that it does?

• GatoRat

Took about 20 minutes and was seamless.

• ermo

This all feels very Ubuntu-ish, what with the 6 month release cycles timed to coincide with fall and spring releases respectively.

• NTMBK

Oh good, here come the Linux evangelists.

YES I HAVE HEARD THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT OUR SAVIOUR STALLMAN, THANK YOU

• jihadjoe

Never Forget: Linus Torvalds [url=http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Linus-Torvalds-Windows-7-Rocks<]approves of Windows 7[/url<] Let's all keep using 7.

• auxy

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

• ermo

*something* *something* neckbeard.

• oldog

This comment about an auxy post is LOL funny!

• RAGEPRO

This copypasta, and OLD copypasta at that. Don’t give her the amusement.

• trackerben

Ummm, I think ‘vandalizing’ was not the word you were looking for.

• MOSFET

I liked it. Without it, I may not have read that paragraph.

• juzz86

Mine seems to have come through unscathed – 17 mins from woe to go.

I like the GPU performance monitor a lot. Game Mode still seems to give me a handful of FPS less than turning it off.

I’m looking forward to OneDrive On Demand for my laptop, but haven’t tried it yet. Didn’t seem to lose anything driver-wise like the last update (nVidia drivers didn’t like it) either.

All up, good so far!

• cmrcmk

[quote<]there are probably a fair few gerbils who use Windows primarily for gaming.[/quote<] This is [i<]literally[/i<] the only thing keeping Windows installed at my house.

• Redocbew

I’d still need at least a few VMs for work, but yeah I’m in that boat also.

• odizzido

Yup same. I wonder what percentage of gerbils would drop windows if games worked just as well on another OS.

• DancinJack

27 percent

edit: just so you guys don’t forget, games aren’t the only “I have to use Windows for this” application around

• Zizy

If games worked as well on Linux and the same for MATLAB, Visual studio, MS Office and probably tons of crap I don’t even know I am using…

I would be still on Windows.

• Grahambo910

If all of these those things were true, AND I didn’t need to figure out what in the heck a ‘wrapper’ is to install/update them…

I would still be on Windows.

• DancinJack

I thiiiiiiiink I’m gonna blast a clean install. I know it’s not Windows XP days anymore, but I haven’t cleaned up anything on this drive since I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade from 7. Gonna feel good.

• GrimDanfango

Coincidentally – my personal update to Manjaro KDE-Plasma Edition is finishing rolling out soon.
    I tried, I really tried, but Microsoft have continually thwarted every effort I’ve made to try and keep on top of their invasive crap, and have entirely sapped my will to continue. These major patches inevtiably break my pages-long list of “how to hack Windows into a usable state” every time.

Then I tried out Manjaro, and was thrilled to discover it detected and configured my XPS 15’s Optimus dual graphics automatically, and set up everything with minimal fuss (aside from a slight hiccup needing to enter a command-line flag to get the live-USB to boot, for some Dell-specific ACPI issue)

KDE Plasma also happens to work pretty much just the way I *want* Windows 10’s GUI to work.

…plus it turns out Linux became a viable gaming platform when I wasn’t looking – almost half of my 300+ Steam library is cross-platform already!
    (For anyone wanting to try out Optimus under Linux for the first time – it’s not automatic, but it is as simple as whacking the line “primusrun %command%” into the Steam launch options for each game)

I feel the time has finally arrived to retire Windows to an occasional dual-boot option, solely for Windows-only Steam games.

Anyone thinking about alternatives, give Manjaro a shot!

• YukaKun

Oh, that is interesting to read. Thanks for sharing.

Manjaro is based of Fedora, right?

I want to go back to Gentoo, but I want to have a life and enjoy some free time instead of compile.

Cheers!

• Redocbew

I thought Manjaro was based on Arch. It’s supposed to be Arch without the “Yes Mistress. May I have another?” part. If you want something like Gentoo while still having a life it’s probably a pretty good choice.

• GrimDanfango

Yeah, it’s Arch based, but classic Arch is apparently pretty raw, and intricate to set up and do anything with, while Manjaro makes initial setup very fire-and-forget.

Also, Arch is a rolling release, which means you’re getting the cutting-edge of Linux dev, but also means you’re potentially opening yourself up for a daily update crapping out the whole OS.
          – Manjaro is still a rolling release following the same Arch libraries, but as I understand it, they run it with a buffer of a couple of weeks for testing to hopefully make sure no show-stopping bugs get through.

As with most Linuxes, you’ll inevitably have to read up on how to do something on the command line, or fix something that doesn’t work, but it does seem to do a pretty good job overall of being a “Just get on with using it” OS, and KDE Plasma seems designed to be at least reasonably familiar to Windows users, having mostly pilfered the good ideas and left out the crap.

• JosiahBradley

Won’t update for me but that’s usual for me. I guess I’ll wait a year until someone figures out how to sideload it or something.

• MOSFET

See DancinJack’s link here in comments.

I just want to know if [url=https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/17/whats-new-windows-10-fall-creators-update/#jTiZl7d4mxgyAxjp.97<]Daniela's Design Thinking class[/url<] is really from midnight to 1:30am.

• DancinJack

lol

• Vaughn

I did the manual update for my desktop and laptop it was taking to long to hit windows update.

Everything is running great so far.

I can see a game being ruined by some kind of intrusive overlay there.

I don’t care how good Game Mode is if Microsoft is going to inject their own forced social platforms into everything.

[i<][b<]Edit:[/b<] Looking more carefully, it seems Microsoft are doing nothing more than trying to steal account links from ReLive! and Shadowplay, which are genuinely good tools that are optimised for the hardware encoders of each vendor. Unless you're retro gaming on an intel IGP, this is just going to be yet another one of Microsoft's classic "steal all your file/account associations and hope that at least some portion of the victims don't know how to switch it back to what they were using beforehand". I'm sure there are laws against this sort of behaviour but there is no international court with enough power to do more than lightly slap MS on the wrist :([/i<]

• sweatshopking

What are you even talking about??
      If you push the Xbox button on a controller or windows +g a menu pops up that let’s you pick if you want to reduce background resources or stream through a straightforward no hassle gui. End of story. What are you on? Steal file associations? Relive? Wtf?

Game Mode. There’s even a hyperlink in the article.

It’s a overlay on your game that connects to social media (FB, twitter, Twitch etc) and includes XBOX DVR as an instant replay and screenshot feature just like Shadowplay and ReLive.

Microsoft, unhappy that AMD and Nvidia are in control of which social media accounts their respective game-streaming and game-recording software chooses to allow want in on the action. Call me cynical, but that is what is happening here, however you choose to defend it.

• DancinJack

As far as I can tell, you don’t have to link any accounts to it other than your local/microsoft account? I guess I just don’t care enough about it to begin with.

• sweatshopking

I know what game mode is, I’ve been using it for months, since it first appeared in insider builds. you’re just confused about what it is and how it works.
          They’ve been talking about their interactive mixer streaming for literally years, but it’s not required either.

The game mode linked in the article is more involved than the existing game bar. You can see from the screenshots that it wants to combine DVR with social and streaming accounts, upload your achievements and replays to your various accounts automatically, and basically take the place of Shadowplay or Relive which have been doing this job for year(s).

At present on my pre-Creators Update machine the game bar is a very simple tool without all the new social media options. The XBOX DVR is also pretty rubbish, compared to the AMD and Nvidia options, with fewer encode settings and higher system overhead.

• sweatshopking

No, you’re confused. game mode is purely about resources.
            Xbox live integration, which has more than 55 million paying customers, far more than nvidas or amds customer social base, also ENTIRELY voluntary, has social media sharing.

Your pre creators update has all the social media buttons, in the Xbox app, where theyve always been.
            I have no idea on the performance of the DVR functionality, but it’s a hell of a lot easier to use through windows game bar than through amd or nvidias setup.
            Mixer, Microsoft competition for twitch, is based in the game bar. It is by FAR the easiest way to stream (bring up game bar, click broadcast button, done), and the lag free streaming is WAY better than what twitch has. It’s also interactive with people able to impact your game while watching should you enable those features. Again, I don’t know about performance as I don’t stream since it’s weird.

Basically, your criticisms and concerns were based on your misunderstanding of how it worked and your incorrect assumptions.

• RAGEPRO

Wait, what? Have you used Shadowplay or ReLive? They’re ridiculously simple. A bit too simple for my tastes, really; I like the power and configurability of OBS. I don’t know how you can claim the convoluted Xbox Game DVR function is easier to use than Radeon ReLive.

[quote<]I have no idea on the performance of the DVR functionality, but it's a hell of a lot easier to use through windows game bar than through amd or nvidias setup.[/quote<]

• DancinJack

Yeah, that part of his argument is flawed. I don’t think ANY of them are terribly hard to set up, but Windows DVR isn’t superior to the others in my experience.

He’s mostly right though. Game Mode is really not a big deal, and the other options aren’t required (like linking accounts in Game Bar). This is honestly a non-issue for almost everyone.

• EzioAs

Well, I’ve used Shadowplay in the past. It’s just as easy to use as the Game DVR. Don’t know about ReLive.

• sweatshopking

Not in a LOOOONNNNGGGGG time have I used shadowplay or relive.
            Obs is fine, I’ve configured it too in the past and it certainly has many more features, but isn’t as easy to set up.

• EzioAs

Game Mode isn’t the overlay. That’s the Game Bar. Also, none of the overlay options are intrusive if you don’t enable them.

• LostCat

It’s intrusive for two seconds while the game loads! 😉

• EzioAs

It doesn’t even show up unless you press it. That’s as far as I can see.

• sweatshopking

Techreport.com
            “Where people come to complain about features they don’t use or understand to be upvoted for their inaccurate claims”

• RAGEPRO

It does appear in games without prompting on a fresh install. You have to go into the Game Bar itself to disable it showing up without you pressing Win+G. This is further annoying because, at least in Creators Update 1 and before, there was no way to do this without launching a game and opening the game bar.

Yeah, this is what my whole gripe with Microsoft is.

1) It’s on by default.
            2) It interrupts your game without your consent until you disable it.

• cygnus1

Interrupts all the logos and BS that the game shows you as it’s loading? Do you honestly care about that or do you just like bashing on MS?

• RAGEPRO

Do you not disable intro videos on your games? 🙂

• cygnus1

Lol, that’s probably sarcasm, but in case it’s not… Of course I usually disable that, but I’m talking about all the stupid Publisher/AMD/Nvidia/Bink/Havok garbage type logo ad pages that splash up and can’t easily be bypassed without hacking a game. That’s usually when the Windows Game Bar popup comes so I just don’t get the complain about it being intrusive. It’s just not on the screen long enough during anything remotely resembling the actual game, so the complaints are just silly to me.

• EzioAs

I’m gonna have to check the settings in my desktop PC after I get back from work but I don’t really remember disabling the Game Bar show up by default option. The game bar only shows up when I prompt it to show up as far as I can tell. Will get back to you late.r

• sweatshopking

When you start a new game it will open briefly at launch to let you know it had detected a game with a “don’t show this again” check mark box if you want. It doesn’t take priority, it appears very briefly to allow you to enable game mode with that game should you want.

• EzioAs

I’ve probably already checked it then

• K-L-Waster

I’m by no means a Microsquish apologist, but presumably you don’t have to link any accounts to it other than your Live account? The others are optional, I’m assuming?

• LostCat

You don’t have to link any accounts to it at all. It will use your Live account if it’s available and has an Xbox gamertag.

• Neutronbeam

Updated 5 machines between last Tuesday and Sunday and no issues so far. Recommend using the Windows 10 Update Assistant–it won’t show up on this Win 7 machine so not linking to it for y’all.

• DancinJack

[url<]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445[/url<]

• smilingcrow

and will do more damage than a hurricane. (Making America great again, bring back Windows 3.11).

• chuckula

To this very day Windows 3.11 still has the most secure default TCP/IP stack I’ve ever seen!

• smilingcrow

It’s almost as if it has a built in wall to stop those pesky foreigners from invading us over the wires and stealing our American way of life.
        Make America great again, FREE DOS, FREE Windows, FREE me from my padded cell on the big house on the hill.

wut

• DancinJack

• Redocbew

Obligatory:

[url<]https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/07/22[/url<]

• Growler

This is why XP is still the best: [url<]https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/08/03[/url<]

• DoomGuy64

Best OS to play old DOS games, if only it was easier to install in Dosbox.

• NTMBK

Name checks out

• cygnus1

Nope. My main gaming PC updated in under 20 minutes and has had no problems to report. Seems pretty solid to me.