Radeon 17.10.2 drivers bring big game boosts

The release of a new Windows version usually brings along a new Radeon driver, and so it goes today with the Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.10.2. The second release in October provides a bounty of boosts to specific games as well as a new feature called GPU Workload. Additionally, you crazy crypto-currency fanatics will be pleased to learn that you can now stuff up to 12 GPUs in a single machine without complaint from AMD's graphics drivers.

Destiny 2

AMD says that its game optimizations can offer an 8% improvement in Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, 16% in Assassin's Creed: Origins, and a whopping 43% speedup in Destiny 2, all on AMD's near-flagship Vega 56 GPU. Radeon RX 580 cards could see similar boosts of 4%, 13%, and 50% respectively in the same titles. Destiny 2 has been out on consoles for over a month but it finally launched on PC today, so if you're using a Radeon you better grab this package before you play. Meanwhile, Assassin's Creed: Origins and Wolfenstein II unlock this upcoming Friday.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. Also probably what happens with 12 graphics cards in a system.

AMD's new "GPU Workload" feature harks back to the release of the AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition. For that card, the drivers allowed users to toggle the driver's optimizations between gaming and compute modes. Now, owners of certain Radeons from the RX 500, RX 400, R9 390, R9 290, R9 380, and R9 285 series will be able to toggle that same switch. It will be interesting to see the performance impact of such a change, but we'll have to wait for third-party accounts because AMD isn't volunteering any information about the feature's real-world impact. Along with that change, the drivers now support using up to 12 Polaris or Vega-based Radeons in a single system.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Driver version 17.10.2 also rights some wrongs. Players of PUBG should no longer see graphics corruption on Ultra settings. Hearts of Iron IV should stop crashing, too. Radeon Software should reappear for removal in Windows' Apps and Settings panel, and the gaming tab of Radeon Settings should more aggressively auto-populate with installed game titles. Radeon Wattman should correctly apply custom voltages more consistently, and AMD XConnect should function more reliably.

Assassin's Creed: Origins

Do take note of a few follies in the new driver. Most notably, Assassin's Creed: Origins may not run properly on Windows 7. Forza Motorsport 7 may not work properly in HDR mode on all HDR displays. Toggling the new GPU Workload feature might cause a system hang if you do it with Crossfire enabled. If you have 12 GPUs in your system and run them hard in a compute workload for "an extended period," the system might hang. Radeon Wattman could restore an unstable profile after a system hang, and ReLive capture might crash Overwatch.

Click here to check out the release notes for extra detail. Afterward, you can pick up Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.10.2 from AMD's download site.

• AnotherReader

It seems that the claims about improvements in Destiny 2 might even have been modest. According to [url=http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/3096-destiny-2-gpu-benchmark-launch-performance-uplift<]GamersNexus[/url<], [quote<]Vega 56 posts a gain of 50.9% in average FPS for our test, close to AMD’s boasted 42% gains with the driver, and Vega 64 posts 49.5% scaling. Although this isn’t an unprecedented gain from a driver update and game update, the two compounded together make for a large leap on the line plot.[/quote<] I don't recall the last time that a nearly 50% gain was seen with one driver release.

• DoomGuy64

Vega has a lot of new efficiency features that haven’t been optimized for across the board, both driver and games. I have no doubt utilizing them will increase speed, but the problem is these features must be manually enabled for the gains, because they obviously are not used by default in most cases. Especially in older titles.

I don’t have any problem with AMD’s “fine wine” driver updates, but this is a demerit against early performance statistics which are often abused by nvidia fanboys who never retrace performance stats once the drivers are more mature. AMD needs to enable these performance enhancements by default, including older dx9-11 titles, instead of slowly patching games one at a time. The only reason why I suppose they don’t is stability, in which the driver team needs to work out bugs before making a stable general use update.

Most older games don’t need faster performance right away, so like I said, doesn’t bother me aside from the stat abuse. If AMD had an optional fast mode for forcibly enabling enhancements, that would pretty much solve my complaint while keeping compatibility good.

Gains that big are usually a sign that the developer worked only with Nvidia.

There’s no evidence of this but such a huge improvement is far beyond the architectural improvements of Vega, and the gains are realised on Polaris cards too. This smells like a piece of code created by Nvidia gameworks, which is historically proven to sabotage performance on AMD hardware was used, and then worked around in drivers by AMD.

It’s odd, since the PS4 and XBone variants are obviously running on GCN and heavily optimised for GCN. Is the PC version a sloppy port, or was this code sabotage?

I’m just glad that the issue has been resolved, whatever the cause.

• Hsldn

stuck at installation and left my computer with basic windows drivers. Could hardly install the drivers from safe mode.
    So use with caution.

• DPete27

Not very scientific, but it seems my F@H ppd increased by almost 10% with compute mode enabled.

I did have some glitches when enabling compute mode. Screen turned a tan color and had to do a hard reset. It defaulted back to graphics mode when the machine restarted. Second time, AMD settings froze and I had to end with task manager. 3rd try everything worked.

Voltages seem to be holding at my settings.

• DPete27

[quote<] Radeon Wattman should correctly apply custom voltages more consistently[/quote<] Horray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the only statement I was looking for when I clicked on this article.

• ermo

As an RX Vega 64 AC owner who is underclocking and undervolting his card to 1050 mV and 1600 MHz (+25% power) in WattMan’s UI, I’m curious what this will actually *do* …

The default “balanced” voltage of 1150 – 1200 mV and frequency range settings of 1537 – 1637 MHz are just grotesque and make my particular sample throttle to 1200 – 1300 MHz under normal gaming loads.

• DPete27

In my case, WattMan stopped actually applying my undervolt. It saves the voltage values in WattMan, but if you open up GPUz you’ll see the “auto” voltage amount is actually being applied.

This got broke somewhat recently because prior to 17.7.2 I was able to run my RX480 at 1305MHz/1030mV and now WattMan supplies 1150mV even though I have 1030mV limit set.

• wingless

While this should have been a feature on launch day, I’m glad that AMD is listening to the community and fixing these types of driver issues.

• DPete27

They got broke recently

Am I right in thinking that Vega WattMan only allows manipulation of the two highest clock states and that the manual fan speed controls are a bit crashy?

I haven’t had time to play with undervolting yet, but does anyone know what the sweet spot voltage/clocks are? For Polaris (480/580) it was ~1000mv and 1200MHz. Assuming it’s the same process node, I’ll assume that somewhere around 1000mv is still the ideal voltage for Vega, and it’s just a case of tweaking to find out where your clock limit is at that voltage.

Also, I’ve not had HBM before. Does overclocking the HBM2 work even when you undervolt? I would hope that 1.4GHz @ 1000mv with 1GHz HBM2 would be ideal for a Vega56 on the power-saving BIOS.

• DancinJack

I love how they’re quoting speedups for games that aren’t even publicly available.

“Hey! We did our job in-house and made games run better once we got the code from game studios! Look how much!”

Thanks, AMD!

• hansmuff

Are you referring to PUBG? Because NV has made changes for that as well.

• RAGEPRO

He’s referring to the three games with listed performance improvements in the second paragraph. One came out today, and the other two don’t come out until Friday. Basically, he’s pointing out how it’s silly to talk about performance improvements in a new driver when it will be the “current” driver at the time of the game’s release.

That said, plenty of people will probably be trying to play those games with old drivers, and moving to the new driver will be a performance boost. So it’s not quite as silly as it might seem.

• DancinJack

Thanks 🙂

Zak is now my certified comment responder going forward.

• deruberhanyok

I would love for them to fix the black screen complete system hang that is happening in Blizzard games.

[url<]https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758607000[/url<] That said, otherwise been happy with the RX 580 I've been using lately. I actually prefer the Radeon driver software to NVIDIA at this point. NVIDIA's are so bare bones in comparison without GeForce Experience, but AMD doesn't require me to have a login. 🙂

• DancinJack

Yeah, I HAVE to believe Nvidia is doing a full rewrite of the Nvidia Control Panel. It’s dated as all get out, and pretty clunky to use too. Hopefully we’ll see a 21st century version sometime soon. (Coming to you from a GTX 1080 user and advocate)

• Philldoe

$20 says they do just that, but integrate it all into GeForce Experience and require you to login to change graphics settings.

• DancinJack

No deal, but only because I can totally see that happening.

• thecoldanddarkone

I thought my problem was the windows 10 fall creators update… Thank you.

This.

People like to moan about AMD drivers so much, based on pre-AMD ATi drivers from over a decade ago.

These days, it’s the Nvidia drivers that are a trainwreck, and as someone who typically runs a mix of both AMD and Nvidia GPUs at home, the Nvidia control panel and driver stability have been falling behind AMD year-on-year for at least three or four years now.

What we need is hardware engineers who are good at power-efficiency to defect from Nvidia to AMD, and software engineers who are good at interfaces and stability to defect from AMD to Nvidia. Then we would truly have competition like the good old days….