Cooler Master bedazzles the RGB Hard Gaming mouse pad

Now that pretty much every part of a gaming PC can be optioned with factory-fitted RGB LED illumination, manufacturers have started looking at accessories. One need look no further than Cooler Master's just-introduced MasterAccessory RGB Hard Gaming mouse pad for evidence of this trend. The top of the pad has a black low-friction silicone mousing surface set off by an aluminum bracket. The edges of the mouse pad are lit up by color-changing LEDs that can display nine different illumination patterns.

The RGB Hard Gaming pad needs power, so it attaches to the host PC with a 5.2' (1.6 m) braided USB cable. The silicone mousing surface is backed with a layer of steel. Metal would slide around on top of a desk during intense gaming sessions, so the the pad has five rubber pads to keep it firmly in place. Cooler Master doesn't mention compatibility with Asus' Aura Sync or other RGB LED management software, though. Buyers can coordinate the RGB Hard Gaming mouse pad with their other light-up doo-dads manually using a small touch-sensitive "button" near the top edge.

Cooler Master's MasterAccessory RGB Hard Gaming mouse pad is available now from Newegg for $30. The company offers two-year warranty coverage.

• MOSFET

[url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWCFWC1/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3EY8OTWE8HUWY<]Available from Amazon as brand name Hcman.[/url<] $25

• mudcore

RGB is cool. This mouse pad is about $5-$10 more than typical for a hard surface. Heck it’s cheaper than one of Razers which doesn’t have RGB LEDs. For something that should be good for 5-10 years that extra $5 is nothing. Meanwhile it gives the buyer a lot of ways to customize the look of their environment/setup. Or turn the lights off when they don’t want to see them. Honestly the extra cable is the only real negative I see here for you’re the type of person considering a hard surface already.

The RGB trend is interesting. I think it indicates more than most things the changing look of the typical PC gamer. Also is a great indicator of a website’s readership and how little it reflects the greater market as a whole.

• SoM

ohh FFS

whats a mouse pad?

• Firestarter

huh wow, at that price I’m tempted to throw my current soft mouse pad in the trash and [i<]buy exactly the same one[/i<] to replace it

• drfish

lol’d

• R-Type

These are the best mouse pads made. period.

[url<]http://a.co/cfN76qy[/url<] (Amazon link) The Beretta one is good too if you like a thinner pad. Gun cleaning pads are super durable plus have a really durable pad. It also looks cool as hell 🙂

Agreed.

It doesn’t matter what colour or design it has on it, but a very large, thin rubberized nylon pad is ideal. I now have one that’s plain black and four feet wide. I can fit my whole keyboard on it and still never run out of mouse mat during intense firefights.

• G8torbyte

Thanks for posting the link. I ordered a couple to go along with my M9 Beretta and CZ-75.

• crystall

Is this called ‘innovation’ or ‘courage’?

• Neutronbeam

How about “blatant cash grab”?

• thedosbox

The continued infection of RGB-LED onto objects as mundane as mouse mats is just a reminder that many “gamers” are gullible idiots IMO.

• Litzner

I was a big fan of hard mouse surfaces for a time, until I had to keep replacing mice feet because the pad would wear them down so quickly the mouse would resting directly on the pad. I had a tempered and textured glass pad that was awesome, but would wear the feet off a mouse in a month. Even the hard plastic over aluminum would take their toll.

Hard mouse mats were something I always struggled to understand. The desk you’re using is already hard and frictionless. If you don’t want a soft mousemat, maybe just use the desk/table/a book/a chopping board/literally anything that’s hard and flat.

• morphine

[quote<]The desk you're using is already hard and frictionless[/quote<] ... and not even half as even as a good pad, nor does it (usually) have the required friction—not too much, not too little. Besides, you can ruin the desk's finish, at which point it'll just be more uneven. A hard mouse mat is just better, at least for gaming purposes. For regular office work it might not be worth it, though.

Better is subjective. You say better, I say worse.

I guess this will appeal to some people who want that goldilocks level of friction that is higher than a desk, but not as much as a cloth mat.

My guess is that this goldilocks level of surface friction is a very small niche though, which is why cloth mousemats are crazy popular/out of stock and hard mousemats are usually on clearance; At least that’s the trend for the two largest online retailers in the UK and Germany, probably because the typical matte finish on European laminate furniture is so incredibly similar to a hard mousemat texture that there’s no demand for them.

• Redocbew

I started using a hard mouse mat in order to prevent gunk from building up on it. I could have fixed that by cleaning the mouse mat more often, but I’ve never considered a mouse mat to be a thing that needs maintenance. I pulled a chunk of aluminum out of my scrap pile, put a slight edge profile on it, and then sanded it until it had the texture I wanted. Problem solved.

Not everyone is going to have scrap aluminum laying around, and perhaps that would be a strange solution to lazyness for most people, but it worked for me.

• Neutronbeam

Just regarding the ever-growing RGB LED trend, I’m now predicting (you heard it here first! Unless someone here beat me to it–Chuckula?–so then I would be second. Or third. Maybe fourth.) that a manufacturer will be coming out with a case constructed entirely of RGB LEDs, possibly embedded in Lucite or some other structural resin. It’s the only logical outcome.

• spiritwalker2222

No, nope that’s not it. It’s the RGB Ergo Chair. LED’s on the seat will lite up when you sit on it.