Radeon 17.11.1 drivers are ready to answer the Call of Duty

Just three days into the eleventh month of 2017, AMD has already banged out another graphics driver. Radeon Software version 17.11.1 offers game-specific support for Call of Duty: WWII and adds the RX Vega 56 to the list of graphics cards supported under the umbrella of XConnect external GPUs. The real purpose of this update appears to have been fixing bugs, though.

Call of Duty: WWII

The freshly-supported Call of Duty: WWII is the latest game in the long-running series. This title is the second main-series game to be developed primarily by Sledgehammer Games, the company that did most of the work on Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. The new game revisits the series' original World War 2 setting and marks the return of the ever-popular Nazi Zombies mode.

The improved XConnect support for the RX Vega 56 means you can now hot-plug one of AMD's next-to-top-tier Radeons, just as long as your eGPU enclosure supports the card.

The aforementioned list of bug fixes is fairly long, so we won't reproduce the whole thing here. The highlights include a bug where Radeon Software was causing games to crash, random hangs and crashes while task switching, and crashes in Oculus Dash. Ghost Recon: Wildlands should no longer suffer visual corruption with anisotropic filtering enabled, and Middle-Earth: Shadow of War should stop displaying artifacts on multi-GPU systems. Also, Radeon Software should stop uninstalling your printer.

The known issues list contains items old and new. Freshly-introduced bugs include a problem where some desktop applications may show latency when their windows are dragged. Rainbow Six: Siege might crash when breaching walls with explosives, and Rise of the Tomb Raider might intermittently hang.

Head to AMD's website to download the drivers, or perhaps to read the release notes and check out the full list of changes.

• DPete27

I thought the voltage problem was fixed, but it turns out that my previously (pre 17.7.2 driver) 100% rock stable undervolt is now shaky at best, which incurs “frequent reset to defaults”.

It also seems that you still cant undervolt VRAM. My RX480 has been stable at 900mV previously, but when I enter anything besides the default 975mV and hit apply, the value just changes back to 975. Totally broken.

No use complaining here. I’ll submit a support ticket.

• DPete27

Update: Upgraded to 17.11.1 and it seems my VRAM voltage reduction is holding now. Can’t comment on undervolt stability though.

• Rza79

Call of Duty: WWII benchmarks
    [url<]https://goo.gl/3KTuYY[/url<]

• AnotherReader

It looks like the Fury X is being hampered by its 4GB of memory at the settings used by ComputerBase. The 970 is also encountering similar problems.

• ermo

It’s nice to see the RX Vega 64 slowly becoming more competitive with the 1080 as the drivers mature.

I’m undervolting and underclocking my Sapphire OEM-cooler sample using the custom preset, which appears to let it run at consistently higher clocks than either the balanced or the performance presets.

• JustAnEngineer

Is there a good guide on-line for playing with every setting in Radeon Wattman for Radeon RX Vega graphics cards?

• ermo

I used this reddit thread as a guideline to get started:

[url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/73ikda/rx_vega_extreme_undervolting_overclocking_and/<]RX Vega, 'Extreme' Undervolting, Overclocking, and Efficiency testing using UNIGINE Superposition Benchmark (4K Optimized)[/url<] [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/765wyj/vega_64_hbcc_on_vs_off_superposition_1080p/<]Remember to turn on HBCC[/url<]. There are some more tips for undervolting in this one as well (including editing voltage tables for the lower performance states). For reference, the stock clocks are advertised as 1247/1546 (turbo). With a bit of fiddling, I can actually hit those turbo speeds throughout Superposition if I set my voltages around 1050-75 mV in a custom preset and let the card suck +25% extra power (~250-260W). I typically need to set my max clock speed at around 1600 MHz (down from the stock 1632 MHz) to hit 1520-ish MHz stable during Superposition 4K runs. If I up the voltages much past 1075 mV, the card draws too much power and starts becoming thermally limited with the OEM cooler (checked using GPU-Z sensor graph). EDIT: I let my fan spin to 2900 RPM (up from 2400 RPM stock). It's loud, but it doesn't whine (for me at least) and every little bit helps here in terms of cooling. EDIT2: I'm OCing my RAM to 1000 MHz (up from 945 MHz stock) with seemingly no ill effects. 1020 MHz is no go for my specific card, though.

• cegras

> some desktop applications may show latency when their windows are dragged

I’ve had this issue when dragging around Office applications for years …