Thursday deals: sales on monitors, SSDs, Logitech gear, and more

Hello, gerbils! It's a difficult morning here at TR HQ. Yesterday's industry announcements were a perfect one-two punch combo to our collective jaws, and we're still picking them up off the floor. Perhaps in an aftershock of sorts after those bombshells, there's a dearth of news for the time being. That's a perfect opportunity for us to show you the hardware deals we found. Today's harvest is bountiful, so get right to shoppin'.

• You might be jonesing for high-refresh-rate or 4K gaming. If that's the case, the folks at Newegg have just the necessary potion for that particular ailment. The e-tailer is running a 10%-off sale on monitors with the code EMCBBRK36, and there are some quality pieces on display. There are options aplenty, but we'd like to draw your attention towards a separate Newegg Flash sale on the Nixeus EDG 27" monitor. This IPS display has a 2560×1440 resolution, a happy medium between plain ol' 1920×1080 and GPU-hammering 4K. The maximum refresh rate is 144 Hz, and there's FreeSync support on tap. Couple these characteristics with an adjustable stand, and you have yourself a nearly-ideal monitor for $399.99 while stocks last.

• Monitors aren't the only thing on sale at Newegg, though. There's also a tasty promotion running on a selection of SSDs at a 10% discount with the promo code EMCBBRK23. NAND prices have been riding high, but you can find the TR-favorite Samsung EVO 850 1 TB solid-state drive for $269.99 with that discount code. On the off chance that you're looking for a seriously-sizable chunk of flash, the Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 2 TB drive is currently going for $530.99 with the promo code. Can't get much better than that.

• If you're hunting for a deal on AMD's desktop CPUs, we have you covered. The eight-core Ryzen 7 1700 is selling for $284.99 at Newegg with its included Wraith Spire cooler. Meanwhile, the quad-core Ryzen 5 1500X (also with a Wraith Spire) can be had for $154.99 at Amazon. Either option is a perfect fit for that build you've been putting off.

• Lastly, a portable item. The Surface Pro 2017 is sleek, speedy, and has a gorgeous screen and top-notch build quality. It's also usually a little dear, but not today. Best Buy is offering the Surface Pro 2017 with a Core m3 CPU, 4 GB of RAM, 128 GB of storage and an included Type Cover in black for the low amount of $629. The convertible alone would usually cost you around $700, so this is a fantastic combo deal for anyone looking for a high-quality ultraportable.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at the Microsoft Store and Das Keyboard's shop.

• floodo1

too bad the Surface doesnโ€™t have 8gb ram … 4gb is a deal breaker )-8

• UberGerbil

Yeah, I noticed that too, and came to the same conclusion. I got the last-gen one w/8GB for about the same price around this time last year.

• Welch

Ohhhh that monitor looks perfect!

1440 – Check
    Sub $500 – Check
    27″ – Check
    Freesync – Check
    Range 30-144hz – Check
    Low Framerate Compensation – Check

Man… If this was $299 I’d be jumping all over it. Even though that price is pretty dang good!

• DPete27

IIRC this is the 3rd (4th?) time that monitor has been on sale for $400 since it launched in June/July. Just an FYI.

• MOSFET

That Nixeus is fantastic. FYI.

The 850 EVO deal is being weird. Even though it’s a Newegg-sold-and-shipped item, when I use your promo code EMCBBRK23, it says “can’t use that promo code on third-party items.” If you use the promo code SAMSSD37411 on the 850 EVO 1TB page, it’s only $5 off $300.

• morphine

The promotion was listed in the small print as “while funds last.” I guess they ran out.

The listing of drives currently affected by the EMCBBRK23 code no longer includes the Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, so I’m guessing that a lot of people bit on that. Sorry ๐Ÿ™

I did check the code myself manually at the time of print, we always do that. (Although occasionally there’s a copy/paste snafu.. ๐Ÿ™‚

• MOSFET

I’m sure you checked it, and I realize our time zones are … different ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve definitely seen this before with Newegg, and I almost added to my post “I don’t really need more TB SSD, it’s just nice to know it’s there.” Sometime around last year’s black friday, I bought two of ’em for $249 each. Still waiting to see that again!

• morphine

My work schedule actually fits with the rest of the U.S. Deals post are usually done somewhere between 9 to 12 PM central.

As for terabyte SSDs for $249… hope you have a chair to sit on while you wait. The way NAND prices have been, it’ll be a long while. Don’t get me started on RAM either.

• MileageMayVary

The 1500X is a quad core.

• willmore

Quad core, octo thread.

• dragontamer5788

He’s talking about this mistake here:

[quote<]โ€ขIf you're hunting for a deal on AMD's desktop CPUs, we have you covered. The eight-core Ryzen 7 1700 and is selling for $284.99 at Newegg with its included Wraith Spire cooler. [/quote<]

• willmore

I know.

• morphine

Derp, fixed.

• willmore

In your defense, four cores + eight threads / 2 is six, so you were close…

• AnotherReader

If I weren’t in Canada, I would have bought that Nixeus today. That is a great price.

$284 for a Ryzen 7 1700 is good, but at Amazon you can pay $299 for the faster 1700X. If you’re not counting on the Wraith Spire to keep the chip cool, it seems like a good alternative..

[url<]https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-1700X-Processor-YD170XBCAEWOF/dp/B06X3W9NGG[/url<]

• Phartindust

HP Envy x360 with Ryzen 5 2500u is available now. Starting at $735

[url<]http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-convertible-laptop-15z-touch-1za07av-1?sf154204286=1[/url<]

• dragontamer5788

I’m really digging that design, but there are a few qualms that worry me.

1. I know this is technically a different laptop, but the HP Spectre x360 has been demonstrated to have a delay between “liftoff” time with the Stylus and the reactivation of the touch-pad. Allegedly, HP published new drivers that mitigates the issue, but I’m going to have to check on it in person before buying one of these. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laLYqBeHqDs<]this video for details.[/url<] March 2017 was 8 months ago, so maybe the issue has been fixed... but in any case, I'm going to test an HP x360 system at a store before I purchase one. 2. The [url=http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-laptop-x360-15t-2gj44av-1<]i7 model[/url<] costs $5 cheaper and comes with +4 more GB of RAM. So that means I'm paying more for Ryzen and losing out on a bit of RAM to boot. Granted, this says "deal ends 11/11", so maybe this is a temporary thing on the i7 model. 3. 3rd party Ryzen 5 2500U benchmarks aren't in yet. I want 3rd party benchmarks, techreport.com would be preferred but anywhere reputable would be fine.

• Phartindust

The lift off issue sure sounds like something to remember to check out, haven’t used either the Specter or the Envy x360 before so really can’t say one way or the other. Looking at that video though, I can see how that would be annoying to deal with all the time.

Yeah the i7 version looks like a sale that is ending soon. Looks like it’s normally about $200 more, but has the 4 extra GB of ram. Not a bad deal for a real 4c/8t i7.

Hoping that since it’s up for sale, reviews will be coming in soon too. At least we know it’s not vaporware.

• brucethemoose

Think it’ll be discounted on Black Friday? It’s a brand spanking new listing, so maybe it hasn’t had time to “adjust” to sale pricing.

• Phartindust

TBH I’d be surprised if it was. But hey, won’t hurt to wait and see.

• Phartindust

I stand corrected, HP just placed it on sale for $599.99.

• Voldenuit

#2. But the i7 will have much worse graphics. This could be a budget gaming laptop for 1080p60 on Low/Medium, whereas the i7 would be more like 1080p30 on Low.

• dragontamer5788

I agree that the Ryzen 5 2500U looks like an awesome chip. But remember its only got 8 CUs in its Vega iGPU and its iGPU is also downclocked compared to the Ryzen 7.

I know its all “marketing numbers”, but AMD’s marketing department has decided that the Ryzen 5 should be an i5 competitor (that’s why they have a similar naming convention). The fact that you’re getting a 8GB / Ryzen 5 for $735 while a 12GB / Intel i7 8th Gen is available at $730 (even for a limited time) is kinda… troubling.

In any case, I’m going to wait for 3rd party benchmark numbers before assuming the performance of the Ryzen 5 2500U. All current benchmark numbers are AMD’s internal marketing numbers, which aren’t necessarily the most accurate.

• willmore

Keep in mind that the i7 needs a GPU to compete with that Ryzen 5 which the laptop in question doesn’t have.

• dragontamer5788

The i7 comes with 12GB of RAM, and the Ryzen is 8GB. That’s like +$40 at current RAM prices. As far as value goes, its clear which laptop is better

I’ll wait for the benchmarks for the Ryzen 5. I don’t think AMD even released Ryzen 5 GPU benchmarks yet (they seemed to focus more on the Ryzen 7)

• mesyn191

12GB vs 8GB of system RAM doesn’t matter much. You won’t notice the difference until you get to 16GB and even then its usually not a big deal if you have a SSD.

There is no need to wait for benchmarks. There is nothing particularly different about the GPU or CPU in these new APU’s from existing products so performance is pretty predictable.

• Phartindust

I don’t see why it would be troubling, the i7 is 200 dollars off it’s normal price. Why should HP have the Ryzen MSRP less than a temp sale price that goes away in 2 days? The Ryzen 5 is still a 4c 8t processor with a lot better graphics. $735 seems a fair price to me.

Can’t wait for Notebookcheck to start testing that thing.

• Neutronbeam

I do not believe you are using “cromulent” correctly. ๐Ÿ˜‰

EDIT: I’m wrong. Hard to use a made-up word incorrectly. We regret the error and will now go back to reading the Merriam-Webster dictionary more closely; we are now on “weltanschauung”.

• davidbowser

“Embiggens” or gtfo

• DPete27

What does the community think? Will the Edg27 drop below $400 during black friday week?

• jdevers

Iโ€™m torn, I have been seriously looking at that monitor (as well as the lower res MSI Optix), if this drops to below $400 it would be a deal closer.

• moose17145

I feel ya on that monitor. The only thing holding me back is that I want to see what the price on it will do during black friday. Still though, 400 is not a bad buy for what is probably one of the best freesync monitors on the market at this point in time.