Firefox 57 brings Project Quantum to the masses

Back when it became the most popular alternative to the then-dominant Internet Explorer, one of the best features of the Firefox browser was its speed. Its competitors caught up and crushed it in that regard long ago, but today marks the launch of a new version of Firefox that might turn things around. The latest release, simply numbered 57, brings Project Quantum's changes to the main release channel.

Project Quantum's improvements have been available on Firefox's developer channel since September, but now the package of performance optimizations is available to all Firefox users. Mozilla says that Quantum represents major changes to the browser's most basic components, including its CSS and JavaScript engines. Firefox should now make better used of multi-threading and GPU acceleration where applicable, and should use significantly less memory. Purportedly, the new release is twice as fast as it was this time last year. The site for the new version also touts the updated browser's aggressive tracking protection and built-in ad- and script-blocking features.

If you use Firefox, you probably have already upgraded to the latest version. If you don't, maybe it's time to give Mozilla's alternative browser another shot.

• Outrate

Any Chromium browser works the same as Mozilla 57. But I already have one, but FireFox 56 with extensions has excellent interface.
    From this moment mozilla developers swim on theirs own way, without me and dozen creative developers that are just remained outside.

I see no reason why I should change Chrome, Vivaldi and over chromium browsers to new Mozilla hand-craft. 5 years old computer have no problems with browsers need. Wtf are you talking about people? Firefox has unique UI. No UI – no firefox.

• AMDisDEC

Quantum is an awesome Firefox update.
    Very responsive and more colorful.
    I hope they incorporate the Firefox Send feature into the next update and many working on a VoIP feature to replace Google Talk since Google has stopped supporting GTalk on Firefox hoping to force users into using Chrome.

NoScript is still the best way to not [i<]eat poo[/i<] when using the web, and Firefox has always had the best version of NoScript. I use Chrome as a daily driver, but it has some serious issues and the UI for settings and advanced features is quite horrendous.

• floodo1

NoScript breaking triggered me to immediately downgrade (-8

• Goofus Maximus

I am patiently waiting for NoScript to finish their new version.

Patiently waiting… Patiently… *taptaptaptaptap* WHEREISIT?I’VENBEENWAITINGFOREVER!!!!!!

• meerkt

Was there any extension to switch JS on/off dynamically, without page reload?

• davidbowser

On FF, I found a weird suggestion to use uMatrix and then NoScript on top with “scripts Globally allowed”. It sounded like insanity at the time, but after I read further and testing myself, it actually works quite well. You manage scripts on a site by site basis in uMatrix, and then leave NoScript capabilities running with respect to XSS and ClearClick warnings.

I am REALLY hoping that NoScript and a few others get caught up. I recently went through my add-ons to see if any had to be replaced and was surprised to see NoScript still had not updated to the new architecture.

• pogsnet1

Firefox Quantum is <3

• chuckula

Actually it’s much greater than 3. In fact it’s ==57 (at least for the first version number).

equal equal? That is more equal than equal, yes?

• chuckula

What, you thought I was assigning “it’s” a value of 57?

depends on the language. For most, = is an assignment operator where == is testing boolean logic. In Visual Basic, it’s = for both.

• Goofus Maximus

Aside from my noscript withdrawl, I do like the new firefox… after finding where all my meticulously arranged bookmarks and “new tab” pinned favorites went.

The Libraries feature just doesn’t quite cut it, as a replacement for my classic bookmarks. It turns out that my pinned new tab favorites were just hiding in plain site. The redesign made them harder to spot, is all.

• DoomGuy64

Meh. I’ve been done with FF for a while because of their various unwanted changes, and only use Cyberfox and Opera. Opera is better than Chrome, and Cyberfox is better than FF. Since Cyberfox closely follows FF but focuses more on being user friendly and backwards compatible, I’m sure their update will be better.

• kvndoom

I use Cyberfox too, but unfortunately the writing is on the wall.

[url<]https://8pecxstudios.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=1756[/url<]

• DoomGuy64

huh. didn’t know that since I’ve been mostly using Opera. Guess I’ll have to install waterfox or palemoon for my alternative now. RIP cyberfox, you were a good browser. It’s getting hard to find non data mining browsers that are extension and user friendly anymore.

• bthylafh

I suspect you’ll get a better experience out of Waterfox, if only because it supports a much wider variety of extensions. Pale Moon forked much earlier from Firefox and so not many designed-for-FF extensions still work on it. They’ve got their own extension repo but there’s not a ton there.

I’m not sure I’d use Opera anymore as a privacy-focused browser: they’re owned by a Chinese company now and I don’t trust their government. You might like Vivaldi as an alternative; it’s made by some ex-Opera folks and (so I’m told) has a user experience closer to that of classic Presto-era Opera.

• LostCat

I liked it, but I still have that one web game that works crap on everything but Chrome. Heh :p 🙂

• albundy

all that, and still the auto play nightmare continues. when will this nonsense be stopped?

• DeadOfKnight

Hah, I saw Project Quantum and thought of this: [url<]https://techreport.com/news/28910/amd-project-quantum-mini-pc-gets-dissected[/url<]

• EzioAs

Yeah, FF57 is really fast, it’s really a joy to use now. I’m a little sad to see most of my installed extensions not working though (Tab Badge, Location Bar Enhancer, Beyond Australis, etc). Hopefully I can find similar ones that are compatible later.

• Leader952

I also need extensions for doing actual work.

I had to downgrade to FireFox ESR release V 52.5 just to be able to do my job today.

[url<]https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations[/url<] Hopefully by the time the ESR release gets to 57 the extensions I use will be updated or a replacement is available.

• EzioAs

Understandable. Half of the extensions I used are for increasing productivity too, but I’d just rather have speed now.

• floodo1

Extensions are permanently hosed in some ways … the new Kee addon that relaxed KeePass just can’t offer the same kind of functionality do to how Sedona have to be written now.

They sold their soul to compete with Chrome )-8

• A_Pickle

I’m trying Kee right now, and honestly… it doesn’t seem so bad?

• kvndoom

That happened the day Australis was released. Which was pretty much the day I started using Firefox forks instead of the official browser.

• Liron

I left Firefox because, when I had several video tabs, it was just a matter of hours before all tabs would go black.
      Is that fixed in 57?

• EzioAs

Since I’ve never had that issue, and the most tabs I open that had videos are probably 3, I can’t really answer your question.

• thx1138r

I’m impressed. I’ve been trying it for the past few hours, and yes, it is noticeably faster.

• spiketheaardvark

I’m sure we could argue about which browser is better all day, but this update is a huge improvement from where FF was last year.

• DeadOfKnight

Purportedly

• ermo

My first experience with FF 57 was with the Fedora 27 WS beta in a virt-manager qemu VM on an SSD-backed LVM partition (CPU was an FX-8350 with all 8 “cores” usable by the VM) and using the VirGL driver that relays guest VM OpenGL calls to the host’s Mesa OpenGL stack, using a HD 7970 running atop the amdgpu kernel DRM driver and the RadeonSI Mesa OpenGL driver.

Let’s say that I was surprised at how fast it ran in that guest VM compared to my host’s FF 56.0.2 on [url=http://solus-project.com<]Solus[/url<] (an up and coming desktop-focused Linux distribution with awesome Steam gaming support and optimizations).

• ChronoReverse

I’ve been using Firefox all the way from Phoenix 0.4 and if you’ve been not using Firefox for a while, then this is a good version to get started again with a clean profile.

I’ve never liked Chrome’s urlbar behavior (prefer Firefox’s frequency sorted urlbar that I can prune at will) and it always had a subtle “click delay” that bugged me despite its faster rendering speed and tab isolation (which sometimes fails for some reason, leading to all the tabs needing reloading anyway).

Firefox is largely caught up now (and faster in some areas) so even the diminished (but greater than Chrome’s) ability to customize is bonus over what you get from Chrome.

Also, Firefox Sync works great if you use that kind of thing. I most like having the ability to push URLs to my phone where I can open it using any browser I prefer.

• tsk

Can you elaborate on pushing URLs to your phone? How does that work?

• davidbowser

It leverages Firefox sync to push a tab to another device. Sync keeps a centralized history and current tabs of all device-browsers logged into your account (along with a bunch of other data). In previous versions, this allowed you to open a tab from another device, call it a “pull” action. This new feature allows you to right-click and send a tab to another device, so call it a “push” action. In personal testing, it takes about 5-10 seconds to show up on the target device.

[url<]https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/features/sync/[/url<]

• chuckula

My main browser is Chromium (note that I didn’t say “chrome” there and it’s intentional)… it may be time to go back to the Firefox future.

• mudcore

From my understanding Chromium still has the majority of the phone-home stuff built into it. Hence there’s project like Iridium to take it a step further. But that’s me making assumptions about why you want to use Chromium.

Or Brave but Brave is trying to be a bit more than straightforward browser and may not be what someone wants. Brave is also notably less stable than Chromium in my experience.

• brucethemoose

Or better yet, UnGoogled Chromium, which merges some changes from Iridium and some other projects as well as adding their own.

[url<]https://ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-binaries/[/url<]

• JosiahBradley

Daily driver. Works great and sites load finally in the blink of an eye, even with all these silly banner ads :b .

• chuckula

There’s nothing silly about the AORUS GTX-1080 XTREME EDITION!

BUY ONE THROUGH TR’S LINK TODAY!

• DancinJack

I am a “from the very beginning” Chrome user. Like, the first release. I used FF before that, but that’s not really the point. I still use Chrome for most everything because its integrations with my Android phone are too deep and advantageous to ignore.

Having said that, I have been using the FF Dev Edition with Quantum for at least a month or two now. It really is great. I suggest everyone give it a try, even if only for occasional use. I also like the UI way better than that rounded, awful mess they have had for a while now.

• jihadjoe

Yeah Sync is an amazing once you learn to stop worrying about Google being big brother. It’s such a huge convenience being able to look up my history across my desktop and work PCs, android phone and IOS tablet.

• Redocbew

I wouldn’t trust Mozilla any more than I trust Google.

• Durante

FWIW, I’ve been using FF on Android for years, and it syncs well with FF on PC.

• DancinJack

It’s not just Chrome that syncs over. Google Now/Google Feed uses the pages I read to suggest articles and such. Google Box searches move over (not just in Chrome on Android). There is just way more integration with Android. I don’t doubt that FF sync works totally fine, but I already have that with Chrome and I like Chrome just fine.

edit: lol spelling

This pretty well sums up my feelings, even when I had an iPhone. Chrome sync works *at least* as well as Firefox’s sync plus I already have it set up. I see no reason to switch.

• Outrate

You are talking nonsense. If you have Chrome, why would you use Mozilla 57? If you need sync it works fine in Firefox 56, Opera and so on.. you just never use a normal browser, man.