Philips Momentum 35″ display will light up your life and your room

Philips announced a new display today that's seemingly aimed at the crowd looking to bridge the gap between a television and a computer monitor. The Philips Momentum 356M6QJAB/11 is a massive 35" IPS monitor with LED backlighting. The display sports a relatively low resolution of 1920×1080 and a pretty-standard response time of 5 ms.

Here's where it starts to look more like a television than a monitor, though. Along with that low native resolution, the brightness caps out at 250 cd/m², lower than the 350 cd/m² of most computer displays. Perhaps the most striking feature is the inclusion of Philips' Ambiglow. The technology takes the colors of the on-screen image and matches them to LEDs on the monitor's bezel, projecting color-matched lighting onto the surface behind the screen. All that tech is meant to reduce eyestrain and increase immersion. The extra-wide base makes the monitor look more like a TV, too.

The Philips 356M6QJAB/11 also offers support for FreeSync and a maximum refresh rate of 75 Hz. Extra goodies include built-in 5-W speakers and a VESA mount around the back. The input selection includes a DVI port, two HDMI 1.4 inputs, and a DisplayPort 1.2 connector. Philips hasn't mentioned pricing or availability information, though we wager this monitor should be relatively affordable.

• EndlessWaves

Is the Philips monitor division run by AOC or Dutch Royal Philips?

Either way, they’ve got a talented designer on their hands.

• aliquis

Too bad all(?) Philips products is complete garbage.

* Old tooth-brushes lost/dropped the tooth heads.

* Had a small food processor with the motor on top, broke the motor by excessive heat / too much resistance I guess.

* Cut my ass with the body-shaver without noticing and later got an abscess which eventually was emptied at the emergency but I’ve had to redo it 1-2 times more and that shit never goes away. I always feel hard stuff inside there and sometimes it grow up and if I stilled lifted weights I guess it would be bad again.

* Got a new food processor because clearly the prices of the Philips products seem nice. Dropped the mixer and the plastic broke, forgot a knife or fork in the large bowl after having pushed something down and turned it on and broke the bowl too.

* I put a question mark because I got one of their S9000 shavers and so far that haven’t broke down on me. The heads I guess isn’t amazing at catching hair but is any shaver? Maybe Braun is better maybe not. My Braun had terrible battery power and always had to be used with the cord.

* The very expensive electrical tooth-brush I have now from them with the new style of heads come with this glass cup to charge it in. It’s just that every time you put it at charge (and I bought it because of claimed better battery life but .. it’s not great) it’s a gamble whatever it will take any charge whatsoever. The green light shows but that doesn’t mean it will actually have any charge the next time you want to use it.

… so.. it’s only good if you are ok with just brushing your teeth occasionally I guess. Or have multiple tooth brushes for when it doesn’t work. And their body-shaver products is only ok if you’re ok cutting up your skin getting infections and abscesses for life with lots of pain, trouble, time and money wasted and their plastic is so sturdy that drop it once and you may have to buy a new unit. Enjoy!!

Not really the brand I trust whatsoever or want to put money into.

• DeadOfKnight

35″ screen in the living room? Pass.

Wow, 1080p starts to look pretty low-fi at even 27″, I’d hate to think what it’s like at 35″.

As a gaming monitor, I can forgive a 27″ 1080p screen because at least the desktop and web pages don’t look too bad. All I can imagine at 35″ is being distracted by the HUEG PIXALS.

I can’t help but think this is aimed at console gamers playing in their bedrooms, but even current consoles can do > 1080p resolutions these days.

• EndlessWaves

As the article says, it’s for people looking for something between a TV and a monitor. It’ll look fine if you push your chair back and view it from 1.5m.

• GrimDanfango

I don’t really understand the thing with regarding 350cd/m² as an important spec. The defacto standard calibration target is 120cd/m², and if you’re running your screen much higher than that, you’re probably slowly messing your eyes up. I know I was until I started to balance the brightness of my screens… I got to the point where I could walk into a room with a 60w lightbulb, and think “its so dark in here! I need to buy one of those superbright bulbs”. That was all down to years of running my monitor too bright.
    Thankfully, now my sensitivity has somewhat returned.

I fear it may yet get worse with the onset of 1000cd/m² HDR. Correctly made and calibrated, it should be fine, as most content should stay a similar relative brightness, with occasional brighter kicks from highlights… but you know it won’t be used this way – manufacturers will crank it way up to show off how “dynamic” their dynamic range is, and most users will leave it at those settings.

If you have a typical 350cd/m² monitor, you need to set the brightness typically somewhere around 30-40%

• EndlessWaves

I don’t know where you live, but in my west facing house in the UK 250cd/m² definitely is not enough on summer evenings. Both TVs and monitors of that brightness look washed out and are hard to view. Although obviously the reflectivity of the screen also has an impact on how much the contrast degrades in bright light.

I don’t have a bright enough screen to say what is appropriate year-round but 250cd/m², while plenty for many times and places, definitely isn’t all you’ll ever need.

• SkyWarrior

Just started using Dell U2715H and yes go to hell 1080p.

• kvndoom

With a 32″ 1440p monitor now, I can safely say I’d never spen a penny on a screen with fewer vertical pixels. So meh.

• Concupiscence

I went from a mismatched dualhead setup to a single 32″ 1440p monitor myself… Amazing how it spoils you, isn’t it?

• Srsly_Bro

32″ is too large for that res unless you have poor eyesight. I used dual 25″1440 at a previous job and I’d take that over your overly large monitor.

• mcarson09

I say the same thing about 1600p. Your 1440p is so tiny and the wrong aspect ratio.

• Jigar

Not impress – My 5 yrs old Panasonic LED TV is 42″ @ 120HZ with 350 cd/m2 and 5 ms input lag.

• DancinJack

What a crock.

HDMI 1.4 and DP 1.2
    250 cd/m
    1080p on 35″
    extra lame 5W speakers that are probably worse than your phone if we’re being honest
    and lol Freesync to 75Hz. Yowza. Really pushing the envelope there.

Please, TR readers, do not buy this.

• icicle

It seems like a pretty decent gaming display for pairing with an RX 570/ 580 + a console.

That resolution on that monitor size is definitely ridiculous for any kind of text/ productivity though.

• End User

I’d give my left nut for a 35” 4K IPS display.

• Neutronbeam

I’d give your right nut for one too.

• Pville_Piper

I like that… You are so generous with other peoples body parts…

• Growler

Cashier: And how will you be paying for this today, sir?
        Neutronbeam: With a testicle.
        Cashier: [i<]pauses, staring at Neutronbeam in confusion[/i<] Neutronbeam: Don't worry. It's not mine. Cashier: Oh! In that case, would you like to add a protection plan? It would only be a few fingers, or a kidney for a lifetime warranty.

• End User

The right nut is my fav.

• Kretschmer

35″ is tough. 32″ or 42″ is readily available at 4K, though.

• Waco

So is 40″, if you’re willing to be slightly less picky and get a TV set that has good 60 Hz 4:4:4 inputs without processing.

• End User

Ah yes.

[url<]http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32UD99-W-4k-uhd-led-monitor[/url<] Hard to find in Canada.

• Kretschmer

Well, gosh. You might have civic pleasantness and a dearth of medical bankruptcies, but what is any of that worth without the latest 4K tech. 😉

• End User

I have universal health care.

• sweatshopking

keep your ball and just order from an obscure website known as amazon: [url<]https://www.amazon.com/LG-32UD89-W-32-Inch-Monitor-Type-C/dp/B06XPFKM32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512044442&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+32ud99-w[/url<]

• End User

I’m a Canuck:

[url<]https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/145-5420939-4913040?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=LG+32UD89-W[/url<]

• sweatshopking

I know you are. That’s why i made sure that order ships to Canada before posting it.

• UberGerbil

Not a bad dorm room “does everything but nothing great” offering, I guess.

• DPete27

Argh, I want ambiglow, but not on such a pedestrian monitor.

• Waco

This. It makes such an incredible difference that I’m amazed it hasn’t become much more prevalent.

• jihadjoe

An actual good use of RGB LEDs? No no no this stuff is for bling only!

• iBend

Check this one, you can use it on your own monitor
      [url<]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/237916976/dreamscreen-hd-and-4k-led-backlighting-for-any-hdm[/url<] (I've seen DIY and opensource version of this one, but cant remember the name :-/)

• Waco

Oh damn, there goes my wallet. Thanks for the link, I didn’t know someone built these!

EDIT: Apparently as cool as their tech is, it’s unreliable and super expensive. 🙁

• jihadjoe

Lightpack controllers and Prismatik IIRC

Good Windows fork of the project:
        [url<]https://github.com/psieg/Lightpack/[/url<]