HTC Vive Focus gets a price tag and detailed specs

HTC announced the Vive Focus, the company's first standalone virtual reality headset with inside-out six-degrees-of-freedom tracking, last month. We already knew that the Vive Focus would come bearing the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC found in many flagship Android smartphones, but the original announcement was light on some other key specs. The company has now provided some additional details like the resolution of the single-piece display alongside a more specific launch date and full pricing info.

The original announcement was light on details about the headset's display. Engadget says the Focus will dazzle the eyes with a single AMOLED panel with a resolution of 2880×1600, a 75 Hz refresh rate, and a 110° field of view. For comparison's sake, HTC's tethered Vive has two OLED displays with a lower total resolution of 2160×1200, a faster 90 Hz refresh rate, and the same 110° FOV.

The headset has a built-in rechargeable battery with Qualcomm QuickCharge 3.0 support over the device's USB Type-C cable. The manufacturer says the pack should last for a week of standby or three hours of active use. The controller has nine axis sensors just like the headset. The manufacturer says the control pad should last for about 30 hours of active use on a pair of AAA batteries.

HTC will start taking pre-orders for the Vive Focus on December 12 in China only. Customers will start receiving their headsets in January next year. The just-announced Almond White version will come in at ¥3999 (approximately $604) and the previously-shown Electric Blue version will land at ¥4,299 (about $650). The manufacturer still hasn't made a peep about a possible US launch for the HMD. For Americans who want to get in on standalone VR, Oculus' Go headset is coming next year, but the device's $199 price point suggests that it won't offer the same class of hardware as the Vive Focus.

• Shinare

Sounds like this is a google daydream with a built in phone that lacks a cell radio. To me, $600 sounds a bit much for that, considering you can get pretty nice devices (without a cell radio) less. I guess you’re paying for the fancy injection molding.

• cygnus1

I don’t get it, is this supposed to connect to a PC somehow or just run apps locally on the headset or something?

• Voldenuit

Dazzle? I have an Odyssey HMD with 2x1440x1600, and unfortunately screen door effect is still quite strong.

I used to think the Pimax 4K/8K was overkill, but it might end up being the minimum to avoid SDE.

• hubick

Agree. I bought VR mainly for viewing photospheres and virtual tourism, and ended up selling my Rift (preorder) due to the poor resolution (which I’d call unusable for such purposes). I just got an Odyssey, and I’d say it’s resolution is… “acceptable” (I wouldn’t call it even “good”). I’ll keep it until something better like the Pimax 8K comes along (I’d gladly buy a second 1080ti to go with it if required to get a quality experience).

The next problem is going to be getting better quality content. YouTube 4K looks like a blurry mess when stretched across 360 degrees, and there’s only a handful of 8K so far.

• brucethemoose

In theory, you could pre-scale a 4K YT video to 8K using NNEDI3 and AdaptiveSharpen to get a better image, possibly without re-encoding anything.

It would be a PITA though. I’m not sure if any VR players (much less the 360 player) even support VapourSynth, MadVR, or MPV, but at the very least you could set it up to download YT videos into a folder with YouTube-dl and auto process them with VapourSynth and your GPU encoder.

• Kretschmer

Isn’t 75hz the “nausea zone?”

• DeadOfKnight

If you have too much to drink.