Rumor: Ryzen 2 set for Q1 2018 and a Fenghuang APU breaks cover

The rumor mill has been reasonably quiet of late, but its engines are firing up. Citing a Digitimes report, MoePC claims that AMD's Ryzen 2 processors (codename Pinnacle Ridge) will show up in the first quarter of 2018. Separately, an as-of-yet unknown AMD "Fenghuang" APU has apparently broken cover in the SiSoft Sandra database.

Should the rumors hold water, Ryzen 2 CPUs will be based on AMD's Zen+ architecture and manufactured on GlobalFoundries' 12LP (Leading Performance) process. Additional rumor has it that the improved process could let Pinnacle Ridge units clock higher than their predecessors and possibly offer better overclocking potential. Likewise, there's some expectation that the new processors could support higher DDR4 frequencies—a sticking point with current-generation Ryzen offerings. According to the rumor, the existing Ryzen 3, Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 series names should be kept, although the model numbers will start with a 2. As expected, the new processors will fit existing AM4 boards, although ASMedia is purportedly readying up X470 and B450 chipsets to go with the new CPUs for a March 2018 release.

One chip that isn't on the road map that MoePC got ahold of is an as-yet-unknown AMD "Fenghuang" APU with "15FF" graphics. This product found its way into the SiSoft results database recently. The 15FF IGP apparently has 28 Radeon compute units for a total of 1792 shader processors, accompanied by 2 GB of an unknown type of VRAM. Other data that made its way into the database would appear to be spurious, like the 555-MHz clock speed, 16kB of L2 cache, and a supposed 32-bit path to memory. There isn't much in the way of details about this chip, but it definitely appears to be a prototype. Still, if it is real, Fenghuang's IGP would represent a considerable increase in graphics resources over today's Vega 8 and Vega 10 IGPs. The power needed to support that much graphics horsepower could peg this chip as a desktop part, but we won't know either way until AMD offers more details, if it ever does.

• ronch

There are rumors that the first iteration of Zen was so rushed that it fell way short of what its fundamental architecture could’ve reached. Early projections indicate that Zen 2 will deliver much higher clock speeds built on the same node and IPC being about 30-40% higher.

Obligatory [url=http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/d0/d0c1a08fe53254bfa0ff01a9629d59c571fa07f9f57e726c318a1803d5a30eeb.jpg<]link[/url<].

• njoydesign

Sorry for nitpicking, but I guess you mean Zen+, no? Zen2 will be in 2019 on the 7nm node.
      There is a lot of confusion about this, in big part thanks to AMD themselves, however, we’ve come to accept that Ryzen 2 is Zen+, while Zen2 will be Ryzen 3. Ahh so much fun.

• Rza79

Click the link you buffoon.

• njoydesign

haha I fell for it. Need to tune up my sarcasm meter.

• ronch

IPC is most likely up. It would be most interesting to see the maximum IPC both Intel and AMD can wring out of their current cores though.

• gmskking

So IPC equal to Broadwell?

• shank15217

Its already equal to breadwell.

• Anonymous Coward

That that would represent not getting worse. Which is a good starting point.

• eofpi

It’s sad that we have to even ask about that.

• Concupiscence

It depends on what you’re doing, but current Ryzen parts are already right there. I don’t expect much in the way of clock-for-clock performance improvements for Ryzen 2: Your PC is a Werewolf, but higher clocks at the same TDP with an improved memory controller would already be pretty compelling.

• nico1982

[quote<]One chip that isn't on the road map that MoePC got ahold of is an as-yet-unknown AMD "Fenghuang" APU with "15FF" graphics. [/quote<] From the linked Wikipedia page: [quote<]The fenghuang has very positive connotations. It is a symbol of high virtue and grace. The fenghuang also symbolizes the union of yin and yang. [...] In ancient and modern Chinese culture, they can often be found in the decorations for weddings or royalty, along with dragons. This is because the Chinese considered the dragon and phoenix symbolic of blissful relations between husband and wife, another common yang and yin metaphor. [...] In some traditions it appears in good times but hides during times of trouble, while in other traditions it appeared only to mark the beginning of a new era.[/quote<] ... well, fitting name, hopefully.

• Puiucs

Not really new news. We’ve known that Zen+ will launch in Q1 for a while now barring any production delays.

• PrincipalSkinner

Sorry Sandy. Was fun while it lasted. It’s not you, it’s me.

• Bensam123

I want to see a 16 core threadripper. That is so close to being overly tasty, if it just completely wiped the floor with Intels 18 core part I would pull a couple triggers. Perhaps those two vacant dies…

• NTMBK

…it’s already 16 core?

His comment looks silly now that AMD has gone back and time to release a 16-core version of the Threadripper.

• Bensam123

Assuming there is a difference between the model lineups of their extreme lineup (Threadripper) and R3/5/8, they don’t in the Ryzen 2 variety nor was it announced. It’s actually pretty hilarious that some of you would take this as me not thinking they had a 16 core Threadripper… That was the launch model everyone reviewed, that’s a pretty far jump. XD

Also in case you’re going to take the ‘two vacant dies’ as ‘they have place holders there that aren’t real chips’, yes I was asking for one with two more dies and not in a 16 core variety. So it would be 64 total cores, not in a 16 core model, so not 4/16 or 4 cores per die. XD

• Goty

That reply was quite a long time coming and still makes no sense.

I think maybe he’s daydreaming of a Ryzen 2-based Threadripper? But that’s so easy to just write like that, I feel almost ashamed assuming he doesn’t have some other more arcane meaning.

• Waco

That hole you’re digging…can you still see light?

• chuckula

[quote<]I want to see a 16 core threadripper. [/quote<] OK! I know a [url=https://techreport.com/review/32390/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1920x-and-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-cpus-reviewed<] website that can do that for you.[/url<]

• jarder

are you from the past?
      [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owzvZ-JcwFw[/url<]

• Welch

Is it sad that the FIRST time I read your comment I said it in that voice. /sigh. I wish the show was still running.

• ronch

Yeah I wanna see a 16-core Threadripper too, bud. Let’s hope AMD will make those someday…

• Anonymous Coward

I want to see a 16 core threadripper… [i<]in my hands[/i<]!

• NTMBK

In all fairness, it’s so enormous that you need both hands to hold it

• Anonymous Coward

My hands are yuge.

• Bumper

My first born son will be named fenghuang. I will raise him in the way of zen. Thus it is written, thus it shall be done.

• Blytz

Until the next kid and refresh

• Wirko

Good. Because we’d accuse you of co-marketing if you named him or her Coffeelake.

• Growler

That’s certainly a better name than “Bulldozer”. “Piledriver” could be a pretty cool nickname, though.

• Welch

A cool nickname if you want your kid to go into the adult entertainment business maybe….

• ronch

Or a wrestler.

• Neutronbeam

Just missed it…because if he did go into the adult entertainment industry he could be known as
          wellhuang. ..

• ronch

I think Phenom would be cool too. Who knows one day the kid will be the next Usane Bolt.

• Ninjitsu

or the next marvel superhero

• mcarson09

You should name your kid Chuckula! You want to make sure everyone makes fun of him, right?

• chuckula

YOU ONLY NAME HIM THAT IF HE IS DESTINED FOR ULTIMATE AWESOMENESS!

• WhatMeWorry

That’s cool. I’m naming mine Kaby G. Lake

• albundy

can i return the ryzen 1’s for the 2’s?

• anubis44

Yes, at exactly the same depot where you can return that Intel Kaby Lake CPU so you can get a free Coffee Lake CPU that doesn’t work on the same motherboard.

• ronch

Zen 2 CPUs would probably work with existing AM4 boards tho. Should only require a BIOS update.

• Kretschmer

As an i7-7700K owner, you punched me in the gut.

• TheRealSintel

Yes, but obviously two Ryzen 1’s for one Ryzen 2, as we all learned in school.

I can arrange that deal for you.

• Welch

Three Regular Ryzen 1 will transmute into one Flawless Ryzen 2.

I will leave it up to you, to discover other formulae.

• chuckula

No only can you return it, but Lisa Su will personally install the new Ryzen 2 and give you $100 in cash!

• mcarson09

No. Welcome to being an early adopter!! Thank you for all your beta testing.

• just brew it!

If it really arrives in Q1 2018 that would fit nicely with my tentative plans to build a Ryzen rig around the time Ubuntu 18.04 LTS hits. (I generally try to tie major hardware upgrades and OS upgrades together; that way I’m not disrupting my main rig at all.)

• Concupiscence

As someone who jumped from an FX-8320 to a vanilla R7 1700, I think you’ll be very pleased.

• just brew it!

That’s good to hear! (I will be coming from an FX-8350 running stock.)

• shaq_mobile

I went from 3570k to r7 1700 and it’s a world of difference in some stuff. Shaders compile about 5-10 times faster. Light computation is much faster. I guess it just depends on what you do but I’m happy, even if i was trying to squeeze a few more years out of that machine.

• ronch

So it is Asmedia that makes Ryzen chipsets. We’ve kinda known this all along but IIRC it wasn’t ever confirmed like this, like we’ve actually been certain about it and it’s common knowledge.

• Goty

We’ve known that ASMedia was going to make AMD chipsets since 2014, actually. I do recall reading in at least some reviews of the initial round of X370 boards that the chipsets were just ASMedia chips, too.

• ronch

There’s been some rumors but no official confirmation.

Yes, and actually I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the lack of issues with them. I don’t use Linux much, ESXi is about as non-windows as I’ve tried on Ryzen, but no issues across a few dozen builds.

• ronch

Well, these days are no longer the days of SiS and ALi.

• Concupiscence

If we’re being honest, VIA wasn’t a picnic either.

• ronch

Yeah. I had both a VIA and ALi board and I seemed to have an issue loading levels in Unreal (1) that weren’t there with the ALi board.

• highlandr

Good Lord, I just had flashbacks to DMA issues with my Diamond sound card with an Aureal chipset. Random lockups when playing DVDs, took MONTHS to discover it was a DMA issue and not instability with my machine. Once I discovered that it took minutes to fix.

• mcarson09

They were compared to Sis and ALi.

• mcarson09

I’m still trying to repress those memories….

• Rza79

That APU could be a multi-die APU with an Infiniti Fabric interconnected CPU & GPU with HMB2. Much like what Intel is doing but with a Ryzen CPU instead.

• msroadkill612

I lack the verbal skills to explain well, but not really. There is a very fundamental difference in amd’s favour.

Intel have basically sourced a discrete mobile gpu & vram from amd, and plugged that resource into ~”their mini me infinity fabric”.

afaik & imo, when apuS do get ~4GB of HBM2 cache, it will be linked to Infinity Fabric directly, separately from the gpu.

amd are shifting their terminology to reflect this. Various types of memory are morphing into “cache”, and cache is increasingly a managed pool of various “caches”

[OT, but FYI?, “cache”, Bill bryson tells me in “made in america”, entered english ~recently via very remote far western native americans, initially noted in Lewis and Clarke journal? – they had previously picked it up from french trappers. Its certainly a common word now, as it would be for ~nomadic people in a harsh environment. ]

• Rza79

I think you rather lack the technical knowledge over the verbal skills.

• Anonymous Coward

That would be awesome. I suppose there is little reason for AMD not to do it. Probably they would aim at a lower price point that the Intel product.

• Welch

Uhhhh, Deja Vu? Isn’t the first rumor about Ryzen 2 exactly what was confirmed less than a week ago to have been faked? I’d love to believe that by March new Ryzen chips would be out to address all of the existing cons of Ryzen (1)

As for the APU, if true I’m thinking it to be a prototype for a professional series mobile APU, similar in market to Intel’s target with Iris Pro, but obviously much more power.

• chuckula

There *is* Ryzen 2 coming next year.

It’s just that nonsense about 12 cores running at 5.1GHz in your smartphone* was a photoshop fantasy.

* OK, I added the part about the smartphone. But why not.

• freebird

Yes, Ryzen 2 ( or whatever they decide to call the next Ryzen release) is coming next year as Chuckula states and as stated previously in Sept by CTO Mark Papermaster on 12nm along with Vega on 12nm. How quickly they transition products to 12nm is TBD. I think sooner rather than later, however. They have to play catch up…

• Srsly_Bro

It wasn’t Ryzen 2, and that comes out late 2018/early 2019. The made up specs were about the Ryzen refresh. Not knowing all the facts before speaking on something is how things get spread, bro.

• NoOne ButMe

Ryzen 2 and Zen 2 are different products.

Ryzen 2 is the 2nd generation of the Ryzen family of CPUs.

Zen 2 is the 2nd generation of the Zen core.

Ryzen 2 doesn’t mean Zen 2.

Like how Intel has Skylake in 6th and 7th generation Core products.
        Well, they call it Kaby Lake, but the Core itself, is unchanged as I understand it, while the SoC is.

• Spunjji

By all accounts it looks like Skylake is in some 8th gen products too. It’s renaming on a scale hitherto only seen in GPU product lineups 😀

• NoOne ButMe

Yes, but I prefer not hope AMD doesn’t mess up Zen 2 +7nm and we end up getting a 3rd generation of Zen1 cores on an again improved 14nm process (12nm is akin to 14+/++, not sure which).

• chuckula

[quote<]The 15FF IGP apparently has 28 Radeon compute units for a total of 1792 shader processors, accompanied by 2 GB of an unknown type of VRAM. [/quote<] Bear in mind that if the CU count is accurate that would make it a bigger GPU than is present in Kaby Lake G, which only has 24 CUs although it also has 4GB of VRAM.

• DavidC1

Interestingly, the Sisoft page reports it as Server/Workstation: [url<]http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_run.php?q=c2ffcdfadcbddce1d0e0d9ebdae2c4b68bbb9df89da090b6c5f8c0&l=en[/url<]

• NTMBK

Could be good for mobile workstations?

• NoOne ButMe

That, to me, indicates an Apple part.

TBH.

Almost everything they have from AMD is a “Pro” version one way or another. Or is it everything full stop now? And we all know how Apples loves to make things thinner and more integrated.

To be fair, it would mean charging $200 for an extra 8GB of (HBM2) RAM would probably be a fair price.