Hotmail puts the smack down on spam servers

Yahoo News has an article from CNET.com discussing Hotmail’s latest plan to thwart spammers. They have started using the Realtime Blackhole List to filter incoming e-mail. The list is a controversial spam fighting tool in that it singles out e-mail servers that allow spam to be relayed through, and blocks ALL e-mails (spam and non-spam) coming from those servers. The idea is that the users of said server get so pissed that they threaten to kill their system administrator if he/she doesn’t fix the mail server so it won’t relay spam anymore. Apparently Hotmail started filtering this way last week. I’m not sure it did any good– I opened a Hotmail account on Oct. 26th to play with the MSN Instant Messenger, and so far I’ve received a total of 21 spam messages. Keep in mind I haven’t done anything (posting on Usenet, web pages, etc.) to publicize the address at all. Perhaps what Hotmail really needs is to be more restrictive about how they hand out the addresses of new subscribers.

Comments closed
    • Anonymous
    • 20 years ago

    *[

    • Anonymous
    • 20 years ago

    *[Anon@outbound.ecal.com<]* ok... am i the only person to never have received a bit of spam mail while using hotmail? *knock really hard on wood*

    • Anonymous
    • 20 years ago

    *[Anon@bowerbird.cc.uq.edu.au<]* atleast hotmail is trying to provide a good service. with the amount of spamming going down, i\'m sure it would be hard to spot the impact of their filtering, it might take some time for it to nail the B@%!#*DS. Spamming is pathetic, i doubt even 1% of ppl that recieve spam take any notice of it. for the other 99%, like me, it frustrates to no end. THANK YOU HOTMAIL!

    • indeego
    • 20 years ago

    They get your e-mail from random peck and hunts, and through filtering through the masses of e-mails that goes through their servers…

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This