Asus ROG Swift PG65 is a big honkin’ 4K 120 Hz display

Being a part of the so-called "PC gaming master race" usually means having access to bigger things, like larger resolutions and higher framerates thanks to ludicrously-powerful graphics cards like Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 Ti. One area where PC gaming has typically trailed mainstream consoles is screen size, though. Nvidia's is looking to put an end to that deficit with its Big Format Gaming Display initiative. Asus' ROG Swift PG65 is one of the first displays to be part of that program.

As one might guess from the name, the PG65 is a 65" display. What the model number does not give away is the fact that the screen has a 3840×2160 resolution, a 120 Hz refresh rate, HDR support, and Nvidia's proprietary G-Sync adaptive refresh rate baked in. There's also Nvidia's Shield streaming technology included for good measure. Asus touts a 1000 cd/m² brightness specification and a "cinema-grade" coverage of the DCI-P3 color space. The company didn't provide a response time specification, though it says "the time from display input to pixel response is comparable to G-Sync desktop gaming monitors."

Streaming support for 4K and HDR content on PC are currently dependent on very specific hardware and software combinations, so the Nvidia Shield technology built into the display should make things easier for users to experience video content The Way It's Meant to be Played.

Asus didn't announce any pricing or availability information for the ROG Swift PG65. Engadget does say that the first BFGD displays will hit the market in summer 2018. The prices will probably be substantial, so interested gerbils might want to start counting their pennies now.

• DrCR

Cool product, but regardless of pricing, I’m simply unwilling to purchase any of their displays until Asus properly overhauls their monitor QC.

• rahulahl

I cant believe I am already tempted by this monstrosity.
    I wouldn’t mind splurging $1k on a 27 inch monitor if it has gync, non TN and all the other gaming things..

This is basically a 65 inch gaming monitor from my understanding?
    Is this gonna be as good as a dedicated gaming monitor?
    I have tried using TV as a monitor in the past, and it didn’t work well at all.

• steelcity_ballin

The Asus ROG Swift is a sub $1000 27″ G-sync monitor that runs 2560×1440 @ 144hz. It’ll run you around $700 give or take. It’s been out a few years now.

• CheetoPet

I’d be happy with 32″ monitor with the exact same specs (4k / 120Hz / HDR) they announced last year. Not sure my PC cave has quite enough room for said 65″ monstrosity unless I lash it to the ceiling.

• SoundFX09

Going to call it now:

This Will be the First $1,500 G-Sync Monitor, and people will actually buy it.

• ptsant

At $1500 this would be a bargain. Have you looked at the specs?

• End User

[quote<]Being a part of the so-called "PC gaming master race" [/quote<] I am the only one who recoiled in horror over that phrase?

• steelcity_ballin

No. It was a tongue-in-cheek phrase a few years ago, but in today’s America, it’s too evocative of something else better suited to discussing in R&P – I think we’re on the same page :/

• End User

I’m a Canadian living in Canada.

Tongue-in-cheek or not, it never really sat well well with me. Any time I used it, it was to deride people that put themselves in that “hardcore PC-gaming-only, everything else is junk” category.

• mudcore

I do believe the original intent of the statement was never serious and was supposed to be self-deprecating.

Honestly it all cracks me up how anyone can give it such weight either way; by taking offense OR the group who uses it to think of themselves as “superior.” They feed each other.

I don’t suppose you’ve never heard a joke that violates your conscience?

Not that it makes my superior; self-censoring due to being sensitive to others’ sensibilities is a weakness in modern society. Maybe it was my holocaust-survivor social studies teacher in high school who spoke so passionately, or maybe it was seeing Schindler’s List in a theater when it came out, or maybe it’s something else, but Nazi-style jokes have just never been funny to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• mudcore

Oh sure I have. But the rest of your post perfectly explains why I don’t care. All the negativity here comes from you, not the joke.

[quote<]Asus didn't announce any pricing or availability information[/quote<] Well, you know the old saying about "if you have to ask..."

• EndlessWaves

From the description it sounds like a typical mid-range TV. Maybe a premium of a few hundred over the likes of the LG SJ850 or Samsung MU8000 level for the G-sync module.

Then you go back and look at the pictures. That’s an impressively thick display. I’m now thinking double the price, something along the lines of AOC/Philips’s impressive PUS8102 TV.

MU8000 65″ is $1400 on Amazon. LG SJ850 65″ is $1600. I picked that size to compare against this ASUS 65″ model. That’s midrange? I’m thrilled with a (somewhat smaller 55″) TV I got for half that price about 10 days ago. I looked at 55″ versions of those LG and Samsung TVs in-store and didn’t see anything that warranted even the extra $400+ that Best Buy wanted over the TCL 55P605. I went ahead and popped for the 5-year extended warranty ($80) and still came out hundreds ahead.

• ptsant

Based on color space coverage, HDR, G-sync and the secret magic ROG sauce, which certainly involves judicious use of LED lightning, I would put this monitor at $2000+.

• DPete27

Don’t underestimate the price premium of a TV display that runs >60Hz natively. You only have to look at PC monitor pricing to see what I mean.

IIRC, all TVs are still 60Hz but with special sauce to double that (120Hz being common). Right?

• EndlessWaves

TVs are proper 120hz panels, but because there’s no 120hz content and HDMI 2.0 can’t handle 120hz they’re primarily for extra smoothness through interpolated frames.

• Sargent Duck

Is ASUS overcompensating for something?

• Pville_Piper

“The prices will probably be substantial, so interested gerbils might want to start counting their pennies now.”

Qualifying for the understatement of the year already are we…

• steelcity_ballin

I love my ROG Swift 27″ (2550×1440, 144hz GSync) but that Mofo is still retailing for over $700. I bet this thing is well over $1500 which is a tough offering to swallow. First, not many games are taking advantage of 4K resolutions / textures yet. Those that are while nice, still have problems pushing a stable framerate even on a 1080gtx (can’t speak for the TI version or the new Titan).

My real beef is in wondering how much we’re being gouged and vendor locked for Gsync. Yes I love it and it works wonderfully, but I just bought a 49″ Samsung 4K TV set retail in store that is just beautiful for less than I paid for my ROG Swift over 1.5 years ago. I recognize that the refresh rates aren’t comparable, and that Gsync fetches a premium, but it really feels slimy lately considering the rapidly plummeting cost of these technologies.