Windows 10 Insider Preview 17083 puts fonts first

Windows Insiders on the Fast ring are getting a sneek peak at some features destined for the next big Windows Update in Build 17083. The highlights include a heavily revised font preview applet, the ability to look at the data the operating system is beaming back to the mothership in Redmond, and other improvements. The release will also offer an option to correct one of my personal pet peeves with Windows 10: disappearing scroll bars.

The new font preview applet can show off the capabilities of newer typefaces, including color fonts and variable fonts. The "quick brown fox" preview string has been joined by a number of other phrases curated to display a wide variety of characters, and users can input a custom string of their own. Web developers should delight in the addition of a font dialog page that allows them to tweak the various parameters of OpenType Variable fonts. New fonts are available in the Windows Store starting with Insider Build 17083, too.

The private and the paranoid will probably think the new diagnostic data changes are the highlight of the new build. The Diagnostic Data Viewer is a new Windows app that gives users the ability to review the data being sent by the operating system back to its creators. The app separates diagnostic data into categories based on the way Microsoft uses the information. Alternatively, users can take advantage of the app's search and filtering abilities to dig into it. Starting in build 17083, non-administrator users can change their own diagnostic data settings, as well.

Microsoft says it has made improvements to Windows Shell, Timeline, Hello, Hyper-V, and Windows Subsystem for Linux features. UWP app pages in Windows Settings now display a version number. The company also added a host of accessibility improvements, including my personal favorite change: an option to make scroll bars permanently visible, rather than hiding them until the mouse moves near the edge of the window. Scroll bars in the Start menu are apparently the exception, but Microsoft says it is working on fixing that.

The release notes list a couple pages' worth of bug fixes, as well as a number of known-but-unresolved issues. The new features and fixes are limited to Windows Insiders for the time being, but the notes say the new stuff will be part of Redstone 4, the next big Windows 10 update.

[quote<] an option to make scroll bars permanently visible, rather than hiding them until the mouse moves near the edge of the window[/quote<] it's the greatest day! This was a stupid idea on the desktop when [url=http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/03/show-scroll-bars-mac-os-x-lion/<]Apple introduced it with Mac OS X 10.7[/url<] and it was still a stupid idea when [url=https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/5_M-N-hD-KE;context-place=topicsearchin/chromebook-central/authorid$3AAPn2wQcZou4n98-ISOuuVGDsyxvmMXnE9tHS9dkft7V_lTAPWhQSK-7hVq4NhQDv1dwv77ARfQl9%7Csort:date%7Cspell:false<]Chrome and Chrome OS adopted it[/url<]. Fortunately both of those OSes currently allow you to turn that "feature" off. Nice to see Microsoft finally joining the crowd, but it should never have been the default behavior- in any desktop OS in the first place. Even thin scroll bars are a cornucopia of moronic. Form should not be more important than function.

• meerkt

I wouldn’t say Win10 has “form”. Maybe: trend over function?

Focus assist: I’m in an important meeting and don’t want to be disturbed by suggestions or adverts masquerading as tips for the next 999,999,999 days.

Thank you.

• Redocbew

I always wonder what the meetings are like where features like these are decided. In this build, we have bug fixes, font widgets, and the not-quite-removal of things a lot of people really hate. I guess that’s progress.

• EzioAs

Is this actually a real thing though? I have two Win10 PCs and never saw any suggestions or adverts other than the rare suggested app that shows up in Start from time to time (very rarely though).

• Redocbew

I also have only my own anecdotal cases to go on, but I must assume there’s been significant feedback or Microsoft wouldn’t have bothered to even go this far.

I have personally seen notifications saying “you need office for this PC!” or “you’re not signed into onedrive!”. I would go one step further and say that even if these kind of ads are relatively rare they still shouldn’t be there at all.

If you’re not using Cortana, Edge, OneDrive, it’s a Microsoft nag portal.

Microsoft also incessantly reminded me to connect my accounts to the People bar app after the last update, and in the early days I was nagged via notifications that I wasn’t signed into Windows 10 with a Microsoft account.

• meerkt

When disappearing scrollbars are set to stick, do they stay mobile-style thin?
    (I’m guessing that’s what they are from the screenshots.)

Are thin scrollbars a common thing in Win10 desktop-mode?

• EzioAs

They’re only thin if the pointer isn’t hovering over them. If the pointer is inside the scrollbars body, they turn to the usual scrollbar.

Personally, I’m fine with this look and behavior but I guess it’s good to have options to make it permanently visible.

• JustAnEngineer

Out of all of the changes introduced with Windows 10, the itty-bitty invisible scrollbars are the one thing that launches my father into a fit of profanity on a daily basis.

• meerkt

At least they’re more contrasted than Win8’s light-grey on lighter-grey, which doesn’t work well on TN, especially off-axis (laptop).