Wednesday deals: a WD Black 512 GB SSD for $160 and more

Greetings, gerbils! If you've been hearing dog-cough sounds all the time, it's me. I've been fighting this stupid flu-inflicted throat infection for over a month, and now I'm on a steady diet of get-better drugs. I'd really like to stop waking up the whole building at night and, you know, sleep. At least I have sweet, juicy hardware deals to comfort me in these difficult times. Take a look at today's selection.

• The leading deal today is the Western Digital Black 512 GB SSD. This NVMe drive is up there speed-wise with sequential read speeds up to 2500 MB/s and writes up to 800 MB/s. This SSD is big on random IOPS, too, at 170K for reads and 134K for writes. You can get one of these today for a super-sweet $159.99 from Newegg if you use the promo code EMCXPRRP3. You'll need to be a Newegg newsletter subscriber to cash that in.

• Since we're talking storage, let's go big—really big. The HGST Deskstar NAS 8 TB hard drive may actually have room for all your selfies, and it has a 7200-RPM rotational speed and 128 MB of cache. Newegg will let you have one for only $219.99 with the promo code EMCPRRP66. That works out to a stupid-low $27.50 per terabyte.

• We bet you're looking for bigger, better display. After all, everyone always is. Check out the LG 27UD58P-B monitor, then. This display has an IPS panel with a resolution of 3840×2160. The contrast ratio sits at a nice 1000:1, while the response time is 5 ms. That's all sweet enough, but there's also FreeSync adaptive-refresh-rate tech on tap. The included stand is tilt-, pivot-, and height-adjustable for good measure. Get one of these from Newegg for $329.99.

• Monitors tend to sit on desks, but why not go one step further and get one that's big enough to put on a wall? One such example is the LG 43UD79-B. This massive 43" monitor's IPS panel has a resolution of 3840×2160. The maximum brightness should hit 350 cd/m², and there are connections aplenty—a USB Type-C port with charging support, four HDMI inputs, and a DisplayPort. The built-in speakers can push 10 W each, too. This monitor's price isn't even nearly as big as its dimensions, though—Newegg's currently selling it for a mere $599.99. What are you waiting for?

• Onto the mobile computing area. Today we have two offerings on this front, and the first is the Asus VivoBook S510 (S510UN-EH76). This 15.6" laptop has understated looks but packs an Intel Core i7-8550U processor, 8 GB of RAM, and a combo storage setup with a 256 GB SSD and a 1-TB hard drive. If all that isn't enough, there's also a GeForce MX150 graphics chip in it. It's pretty sleek, too. Get one from Newegg for only $829.99.

• If you want a laptop that's really affordable but still packs a sizable punch, you really should take a look at the Dell Inspiron 15 (i5570-5364SLV). You get an Intel Core i5-8250U processor, 8 GB of RAM, and a 1-TB hard drive. The 15.6" display has a resolution of 1920×1080. The whole package is pretty thin, and so is the price—a super-cheap $499 from the Microsoft Store. Can't get better than that.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• moose17145

Hopefully this trend of NVM-e drives getting closer to price parity with their 2.5″ SATA counterparts continues…

• curtisb

That WD SSD is also on sale on [url=https://www.amazon.com/Black-512GB-Performance-SSD-WDS512G1X0C/dp/B01MR4VOBZ/<]Amazon[/url<] for the same price for the next 15 hours.

• JustAnEngineer

When you stand there looking at the labels on the 300+ cold remedies on the shelf, you’ll discover that there are only about eight ingredients, combined in various formulations. I try to buy over the counter drugs that treat just one symptom each. For cough, I recommend Mucinex DM because it is the only one with a 12-hour duration, so that you can sleep through the whole night.

• UberGerbil

If he’s been running a fever and coughing for over a month, over-the-counter drugs are unlikely to be enough. That’s the kind of thing where antibiotics (assuming a bacterial respiratory infection) and/or inhalable steroids/bronchodilators tend to be indicated. As always, see a real doctor; don’t take advice from random people on the internet.

• highlandr

Good advice, random person on the internet!

• Shobai

And remember, kids: some advice you receive is worth less than what you paid for it.

• Sargent Duck

512GB SSD? Piddly.

Don’t wake me up for anything less than a 30TB SSD.

• Vaughn

Hope you have 11k to drop on said 30TB SSD.

• DPete27

[url=https://techreport.com/news/33268/samsung-pm1643-ssd-stacks-chips-on-chips-for-30-72-tb-of-nand<]WAKE UP!!![/url<]

• Shobai

that_is_the_joke.bmp

• Kretschmer

Is there anything that you would give up by going with the LG 43UD79-B instead of a conventional TV (besides paying more for a given size display?

• curtisb

Looking at the specs this actually looks more like a TV, just without the tuner. Honestly, with prices I’ve seen lately, an actual TV would probably be cheaper at that size.

• jts888

Basically just the ATSC and analog cable tuners. But in exchange you get a PWM-free backlight. I have this model at home and highly recommend it for general office work and moderate entertainment/gaming duty. I’m disappointed a DP1.3/UHD@120Hz successor hasn’t been announced, but other than that I’d be happy using it until 40”+ 8k becomes a thing.

• Shobai

Personally, I can’t see the point in a 15.6″ class laptop that lacks a numpad – if my usage could handle not having a numpad, I’d be looking at 13″ and 14″ devices.

• Kretschmer

I’m currently on a work 15.6″ laptop without a numpad (and 1366×768 resolution *sob*), and I prefer the larger keyboard for general typing. While that comes at an expense in Excel, it’s not the worst thing in the world. Granted, this is a subjective evaluation and my hands are pretty big, so others might not agree.

Looking at a review, it seems like a solid laptop for the price, but I wish it was 30% thicker with 50% more battery life: [url<]https://www.pcmag.com/review/356900/asus-vivobook-s510[/url<]

• Voldenuit

[url<]https://imgur.com/gallery/3Pqz5[/url<]

• Shobai

Oh, I am so sorry for you – I worked for many years on a display of that resolution at work… the crazy thing is it’s almost impossible to find a 12″, 13″, or 14″ device with a display that’s not either 1080p or 4k [!!] – although, in all honesty, why would you try? – but the vast majority of the 15″ class devices that the local shops sell are stuck at 1366 x 768.

Apart from that, my hands are quite big and I would still rather have the numpad than not. Like we’ve both said, though, this is obviously a personal preference.

• morphine

Fwiw, an external numpad is like $10

• Shobai

I fully realise that, but it’s just another thing to carry around, lose, forget-I-had-plugged-in-when-I-move-the-laptop-and-get-snagged-on-something-so-I-drop-and-break-either-or-both, etc

• Kretschmer

That laptop looks fantastic until you realize that it has a 42 WHr battery. Yeesh.

• DPete27

Both the Dell and the Asus laptops have a 42Whr battery. Is that atypically small for a 15.6″ class laptop? (Honest question)

• ludi

Huh, a fast 512GB SSD that costs less than any 16GB of DDR4. Didn’t see that coming.

• TheEmrys

No video cards? Hahahaha just kidding. No video card can be here for a while. More’s the pity.

• morphine

There were some video card deals but we already bought them all to mine GerbilCoin. Sorry about that.

• highlandr

GerbilCoin. Make it happen.

• Voldenuit