Fractal Design uses its shrink ray to make the Meshify C Mini

Hot on the heels of fleshing out its Meshify C ATX chassis lineup with two new side panel variations, the company is applying the tesselated mesh front panel treatment to its well-liked Define C Mini microATX chassis. The result is the Meshify C Mini, which we'll explore immediately.

The Meshify C Mini is essentially a Define C Mini with the plain front swapped out for an angular mesh grille. The new front panel adds an aggressive appearance and allows for direct fore-aft airflow through the pair of front-mounted fans and the single spinning air mover in the back. The case holds micro-ATX motherboards, conventional CPU coolers as tall as 6.8" (17.2 cm), graphics cards as long as 12.4" (31.5 cm), and ATX power supplies with a maximum length of 6.9" (17.5 cm). Builders can fit three 2.5" drives and two 3.5" storage devices in the supplied mounts.

Builders with no love for liquid cooling can move the front-mounted 120-mm fan to the bottom panel and leave the rear-mounted spinner of the same size in place. The front mounts can then ensconse a pair of 140-mm rotating air pushers, and a like-sized pair will find lodging in the top panel. Those unafraid to get wet can put a 280-mm radiator in the front, a 240-mm heat exchanger in the top, and a little 120-mm unit on the back panel.

TechPowerUp says Fractal's Meshify C Mini micro-ATX chassis is available now for $90, though we weren't able to find it at our favorite e-tailers on this fine Friday morning. The Mini-Meshify C is available only with a dark-tinted tempered glass side panel for the time being.

What an utterly pointless effort. It saves 40mm in the only dimension that doesn’t really matter anyway :\

• deruberhanyok

Which part of this is the “Mini” ?

• Ruiner

Nice. At least they replaced the molex fans with 3 pin, but 4pin pwm would be nice at that price.

• xgsound

I got this mATX case for $40.00 in 2015 and it’s still fine for me.
    Comes with 2 fans, front on/off, 4 front usb2 & 3, and 2 DVD bays. No fancy coolers. See if you like it. It’s even prime.
    [url<]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAJ0ZGK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url<]

• Arveedeetoo

The (non-Mini) Fractal Meshify C adds a mere 40mm to the height of the Mini, with length and width exactly the same. And the Meshify C is ATX-capable and available from Newegg now ($10 off sale ending today). I managed to fit an ATX board (Taichi X399) along with a front-mounted Enermax Liqtech TR4 280 AIO (315 x 140 x 53mm, including 2 140mm spinners) in the Meshify C. It is a touch tight in front since there’s not much clearance with the front-mounted radiator, and I have to use SATA cables with the shorter connectors. But I have no complaints beyond that. It’s a beautiful looking case, with the tinted tempered glass panel turning the Taichi LEDs into subtly subdued lighting. Makes a fine addition to my collection (sitting side-by-side with its bigger brother, a Define R5).

• Brainsan

I don’t see the point in such huge micro-ATX cases. Am I missing something?

• ikjadoon

Do you mean mini-ITX? This is exactly the size for a reasonable mATX case with an ATX PSU.

Fractal’s entire spiel is “designed for easy watercooling”, so you add 2″ in the front and top for watercooling. I think if you want non-ATX PSU (SFX, FlexATX, DC-DC, external brick) inside mATX, you’re at diminishing returns downsizing the PSU but leaving everything else massive.

Do not think this could’ve been made any smaller.

• Brainsan

My benchmark for Micro-ATX cases are the Silverstone Sugo SG09 & SG10 (same thing, except for the front panel). It’s not a good choice if you want water cooling, but it’s far smaller, and uses a standard ATX power supply, and can take long video cards.

Compare:
        409 x 217 x 412 mm Fractal
        220 x 295 x 354 mm SG09/10

This Fractal case isn’t much smaller than some full size ATX cases.

• MOSFET

Clean cable-routing is the biggest advantage I can think of, although slow but ample airflow (therefore quieter) could be another. This coming from someone with a mATX [url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132929<]Z270G[/url<] in a mATX [url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854057<]Phanteks case [/url<]beside me, and sitting beside the case is an equally giant [url=http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/modeldetail/4/mfc9460cdn/overview<]Brother MFC-9460CDN.[/url<] Yes, my mATX case is as big as a Brother MFC.

• Ben54

I recommend the Corsair Carbide Quiet 400Q over this case. It is basically the same physical size (464x215x425 mm) as the Meshify C Mini but it accepts a standard ATX motherboard in addition to mATX and mITX. I used this to replace a ‘full size’ Fractal Design case due to space constraints in my office/spare bedroom. With the addition of one more front case fan, the 400Q case quietly holds and cools an overclocked Intel 6850K and Nvidia GTX 1080.

• just brew it!

Gimme a solid side panel and I would consider this for a micro-ATX build.

• morphine

You already have the Define C Mini for that 🙂

• JustAnEngineer

I selected the [url=http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-mini-c<]Define Mini C[/url<] for my latest build because of its clean aesthetics and its sound-insulated panels. The [url=http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/meshify/meshify-c-mini<]Meshify C Mini - Dark TG[/url<] ruins that on both accounts.

• NTMBK

No optical drive bays? Bah.

• tanker27

NVM…..Need moar coffee

• Stochastic

It’s 2018. What do you need those for?

• frenchy2k1

Seconded.
        As all my current desktops are devoid of optical drives after my latest upgrade, I’ve bought an external USB bluRay drive around black friday (as it was on sale).
        It’s still in its box…

I understand that some people still have use for shiny disks, but for me, I miss it as much as I miss a floppy drive…

• Zenphic

I still prefer to have optical bays on my case for my DVD drive, front panel USB hub and card reader. I know I could get external ones, but I would prefer not to clutter my desk.

• ikjadoon

I actually bought one of those 5.25″ bay USB port / card reader / fan control ones and hack-sawed it into my mini-ITX case’s front-panel. It’s not pretty, but it works because theres’s actually room.

The ATX redesign should include an “accessory panel” at the front of cases. Then we could add type-C or HDMI or whatever the hell was coming out, instead of the whole case needing to be replaced for a clean look.

• NTMBK