Cougar’s Panzer-G has tempered glass plating all around

Tempered-glass side panels started out as a premium option for cases, but they're now available in chassis from well-respected manufacturers for under $70. What is one to do if they love the look of glass but need something that makes them stand out from the plebes? Cougar likely thinks the answer is its Panzer-G ATX chassis and its four tempered glass panels.

The Panzer-G's metal frame can accept Mini-ITX, microATX, ATX, and CEB motherboards along with up to three dual-slot graphics cards. Each of those display adapters can be up to 15.7" long (40 cm) with the front fans in place. Air coolers as tall as 6.3" (16 cm) can come along for the ride. Cougar says only that "standard ATX" power supplies will fit in the full-length basement chamber. Pack rats can fit four 2.5" storage devices and two 3.5" spinning-rust drives in addition to whatever M.2 cards are nestled in the motherboard.

Liquid cooling enthusiasts can cram 280-mm or 360-mm radiators into the front and top mounts, while another pair of 120-mm liquid-to-air heat exchangers can mount to the rear and bottom panels. The Panzer-G comes factory-equipped with three of Cougar's Vortex LED fans in the front. Bucking some trends, the LEDs in the fan frames exclusively light up in the manufacturer's signature orange color.

The front of the Panzer-G's top panel has a power button and the usual audio jacks in addition to two USB 2.0 ports and two USB 3.0 connectors. The case is tall and narrow, measuring 22.3" high, 8.2" wide, and 20.5" deep (57 cm x 21 cm x 52 cm). Cougar didn't provide a weight figure, but the Panzer-G is probably a bit heavier than the similar Panzer-S, which has "only" three tempered glass side panels.

Cougar's Panzer-G is available now from Newegg for $120. The manufacturer backs the chassis with a one-year warranty.

• hei

I bought the Corsair Crystal case (https://techreport.com/news/30995/corsair-crystal-series-570x-case-bares-all), for a new build last summer.

I chose it mostly because my previous build was a mirror-finish aluminum, which effectively vanished on the bamboo floor, and I wanted something equally gorgeous.

For those who don’t follow the link, the Corsair Crystal case is entirely glass panelled (save for the back and bottom).

After 8 months, I can easily confirm that it does not show finger prints. My cat sits on the desk just above the case, and it does not show cat hair. The dog sleeps about three feet from the case, and it does not show dog fur either.

The airflow is wonderful, in all senses — plenty of air gets in, and through, and out. I’ve got a great heat sink, and the cpu fan winds up only turning on during gaming. Everything else is low and quiet. I haven’t added any additional fans to anything either.

Looking now, I can see a little dust on the fan filters — which lets me know that they are working. I should probably turn a few thumbscrews and clean them eventually.

I never cared about internal looks before. Now, with the tinted glass, I may put a few metal sculptures inside, might be nicer than the window sill.

Aesthetically, it doesn’t hide (like my mirror-finish case did), but it doesn’t scream obvious either. It’s just decorative, like a nice piece of art.

I don’t know what else to say, except that I’m very happy with it, and really hate the black plastic boxes that seem to be ubiquitous these days.

• Gastec

So what’s the idea, you fill this up with multi-colored blinking lights, put this on your desk and look at it instead of your monitor? I guess the photosensitive seizure warning is not a…case anymore 🙂

• Starfalcon

Looks like this case style is getting a ton of use, it seems like every manufacturer is using it for their cases. Glass and RGB is sure to help keep your computer cool, who needs airflow anymore. I will just be happy when this trend dies like the cancer it has become in the industry, and we get back to cases that have airflow again.

Although maybe that is their plan, killing people’s computers by overheating, making them buy new video cards and other parts that have died…..

• TA152H

Panzer-G? What a stupid name. Why not call it Panther-G, after a tank that actually existed? Then again, a company that calls itself Cougar …

This thing is ugly, and glass is a pain in the ass, forgive the rhyme.

Why don’t these companies spend some money on making pretty cases, instead of these ugly rectangles, and putting inappropriate plating on the sides?

Apple seems to understand this, at least in some instances. It seems no one seems to understand no one likes ugly things sitting on their table, even if their shape is more space efficient.

• UberGerbil

“We’re going to call it ‘Panzer-G'”
    “Because… it’s built like a tank?”
    “Actually, it’s mostly made out of glass”
    “And you’re going to call it…?”
    “Panzer. G.”
    “”
    “Well, see, it is [i<]tempered[/i<] glass"

• Ninjitsu

Title should have been “Achtung – Panzer-G!”

Aaaaarrrgh, this is almost full-circle to the acrylic case trend of 20 years ago.

That trend was cool in a one-off, special-occasions, show-case kind of way, but they died off because it was a truly stupid, impractical, irritating thing to live with as a daily driver.

Full circle = full retard.

• crystall

Watch dust pile up inside your case from multiple angles!

• JosiahBradley

Please continue the trend of blocking airflow to the case starving components of vital cooling elements. Please keep adding giant screws everywhere to secure the hard to see through fragile glass components that defeat the purpose of transparent viewing portals.

The case industry is so backwards.

• hansmuff

How are these smoked glass surfaces with fingerprints, dust and pet hair? I imagine it to be a nightmare, but I don’t really know.

• DragonDaddyBear

It wouldn’t be such a bad case if they didn’t plaster their non-removable branding everywhere.

• TwistedKestrel

Is smoked glass the new beige?