AMD Project ReSX improves Radeons’ e-sports prowess

We wrote yesterday about AMD's Radeon Software 18.3.1, a release that includes performance improvements in popular multiplayer title Dota 2. That optimization is part of the red graphics team's just-announced Project ReSX (Radeon eSports Experience) effort to boost e-sports titles on the company's Radeon graphics chips. The company says the team has been working behind the scenes on these improvements for the last few months.

AMD's Project ReSX announcement says the company sent engineers to the development houses of popular e-sports titles, in addition to working on optimizations at the home base. The results of these efforts include a claimed 11% frame rate jump in PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, a 6% boost in Dota 2, and a modest 3% increase in Overwatch when compared to the the company's December driver release. The announcement goes on to explain that these figures were obtained on a test rig built around a Radeon RX 580 graphics card.

As long-time TR readers know, frame rates alone don't tell the entire performance story. The Radeon driver team is also touting 9% improvements in 99th percentile frame times in PUBG, 7% in Dota 2, and 2% in Overwatch. Furthermore, the team says it has dropped click-to-response times in Dota 2 by 8% and in Overwatch by 4%, an improvement that could translate into more victories, or at least more fun.

• Redocbew

I’m surprised nobody has complained about the off-axis bar graphs. Can you even still call this a bar graph?

• NTMBK

Try rotating your phone

• Redocbew

Of course! Use of a mobile device makes everything much more trendy and satisfying.

• gerryg

If it’s not a TR graph, it doesn’t count anyway, regardless of the angle of the bars. 馃檪

• Usacomp2k3

Personally, I could never feel anything less than a 10% improvement in framerates. Back in the day when overclocking and such, if the performance was less than 10%, I wouldn’t bother. Seems like most of these would be a “don’t bother” type scenario.

• gerryg

Big diff between casual gamer at home and esports gamer where money is on the line. Pro sports teams spend millions to shave seconds, increase speed/endurance, etc. eSports is the same. But even for a casual gamer with a borderline computer, this could be (in-game) life or death, depending on the game. I too remember “back in the day” and would have agreed with you back then, but things have changed…

• ronch

What a poor choice of branding. Good grief.

Agreed. I have zero good feelings about [url=https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/xamarin-forms/application-fundamentals/localization/<]resx[/url<]

• cynan

And how could you when the [i<]sx[/i<] barely provided any good feelings the first time...

• DoomGuy64

What about [url=http://store.steampowered.com/app/636450/Rez_Infinite/<]Rez?[/url<]

Excellent Dreamcast game.

• dodozoid

Interesting how AMD uses the same metric for smoothness as TR does. There must be some conspiracy! Or somebody Scott better explanation?

• Khali

Calling people competing against each other in a video game a sport is a bit presumptuous.

According to the Oxford dictionary a sport involves physical exertion.

sport
    [sp么rt]
    NOUN
    sports (plural noun)

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:
    “team sports such as baseball and soccer” 路 “a sports center”
    synonyms: (competitive) game(s) 路 physical recreation 路 physical activity 路 physical exercise

Other than pressing some keys on a keyboard and moving your mouse with your arm there isn’t much physical exertion going on.

• DancinJack

Minus one.

How do you like that physical exertion?

• Khali

Oh, did I hit a nerve? Well right back at you Jack.

• DancinJack

lol no. i just thought it was funny.

By the way, hi! from someone who played/participated in organized wrestling, running, swimming, football, and bowling. I play games on the side for fun, and for some competition when I was younger.

By the way, e-sport is in the dictionary. Maybe you missed it?

[url<]https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/e-sport[/url<]

• nico1982

See your first synonym 馃檪

• YukaKun

The amount of energy your brain uses is quite high for competitive gameplay. Plus, you DO need to train physically to be able to keep up, as you annoyingly simplify it, move your arm around.

Maybe in amount of calories burnt, you won’t be comparing yourself to any “Iron Man”, but you’re in denial if you think you don’t burn out enough calories to call it a proper physical activity.

And, just to add, “exertion” does imply “mental” as well.

Cheers!

• willmore

Golf is considered a sport, so, yeah, esports should count, too.

• cynan

Golf actually does have a physical element to it. Then there’s walking 18 holes (many prestigious tournaments have disallowed the use of motorized carts). I’m sure most e-sports competitors don’t regularly walk (or jog) 18-hole distances in a single outing (5+ miles). Try being a reliably competitive fairway driver without any physical ability (not necessarily the same as being fit – but that helps).

If you want to talk borderline sports, even in something like bowling, you need to train in some physical capacity to achieve/maintain a high level of competition. Certain elements of curling can also be physically demanding.

Lawn bowling and darts are probably good examples of things that sometimes get called “sports” but really don’t satisfy the physicality requirement. And hunting and fishing generally aren’t sports either.

• willmore

And so do eSports, or did you fail to read the thread before you posted?

• DoomGuy64

There is grounds for esports being sports based on board games. It’s basically a chess tournament, except less boring.

• Spunjji

That is the most blinkered, off-base and utterly irrelevant use of the Oxford Dictionary I have seen in a while. Try this one on for size:

pedantic
      ADJECTIVE
      Excessively concerned with minor details or rules; overscrupulous.

• K-L-Waster

I see you got here first. Have a +1.

• cynan

You may have missed the “e”.

Single-letter hyphenated prefixes are ignored at the readers peril! Like how darts is a b-sport (bar).

• KeillRandor

I wouldn’t bother much with dictionary definitions for a number of words relating to certain activities right now – such as sport, game, puzzle, competition – they’re not fully accurate, because our understanding of the context the rules of English give them is very poor – which is a symptom of far bigger and deeper problems. (Am working on it.)

The semantic context of sport, within English, is as an activity->event->semantically-applied basic thing of happening. (Which should be obvious, as act (basic thing of happening/verb) ->activity (applied basic thing of happening/noun, (see also act/action)). But game, puzzle and competition (can) also share such context.

Since games and competitions (separate from simply competing) can both be activities and sports, nothing can describe exactly the same thing.

But there is additional context that sport requires, that games and competitions do not – it requires such an activity to ALREADY EXIST, in order to then be considered a sport.

Sport is therefore not about what the activity IS, beyond some basic rules, (physically competitive) – it is about how it is APPLIED – the greater context in which it exists, which is where, how and why such rules (physically competitive) matter.

Sport is simply about [i<]organised[/i<] competitive physical activity - it's the organisation and structure that defines sport - everything else merely defines it as a game/competition etc.. Football etc. are sports due to such context - established rules, governing bodies, tournaments etc.. That doesn't mean that sport cannot be organised on a local level, but most sports (though certainly not all) these days operate within a far greater context of international agreed rules and regulation.

• Khali

Thank you all for participating in my little test. I wanted to see how many down votes I could get if I posted something off the wall trying to be as condescending as possible about something people would feel passionate about.

I have never really set out to be a troll before but it looked like Chuckula was having fun with it by co opting the AMD fan boys and stealing their arguments and talking points. This was interesting but probably not something I would do again.

At this point I still don’t understand how trolling can be considered fun. Really, what kind of fun/enjoyment is supposed to be had by going around saying anything and everything to start some kind of argument/flame war over nothing?

• DancinJack

Yes, I’m positive that was the reason you did it.

• ronch

I’d like to agree with you but if they call chess a sport then I suppose you can say video game competition is also a sport. Yeah I feel like that’s stretching the definition of what a sport is because for the longest time video games are just like toys but then.. so is a ball. /shrug

• Peter.Parker

At first I was somewhat amused by your position on this, but this reminded me the famous George Carlin sports routine (google it people, there are so many links out there).
      But then, I thought about “physical exertion”. Well, that’s a very broad definition. What one person feels like a walk in the park, even literally, for another it would be extenuating. So, not sure you have a point there.
      After all, curling is a sport, and, guess what, cheerleading is not!
      I rest my case.

• NTMBK

As someone who could not care less about eSports, this news makes me sad.

• Srsly_Bro

It’s not all about you, bro.

• Kretschmer

Why? They’ll never exclude optimizations to the games that you personally play.

• NTMBK

The more time they spend on eSports games, the less time they spend on games I enjoy. There’s only a finite amount of developer time.

• tay

DotA 2 is an absolute gem of a game. It has incredible depth and strategy combined a very high mechanical skill ceiling. I’d rather spend 300 hours playing it than 10 hours playing 30 different games.

• Kretschmer

DOTA 2 is one of the best games ever made, and I let it hurt me many times per week.

No, no, I tripped and fell down some stairs…*hits matchmaking button*

• NTMBK

It demands enormous chunks of your life if you want to “git gud”, and is full of toxic arseholes. No thanks!

• Spunjji

Second to this. I spent a few weeks dipping my toe in the water. Never has a game tried so, so hard to make me hate it and succeeded.

“I’m sorry, you can’t even compete because you don’t know how to combine the correct sets of items and skills to defeat the particular mix of opponents you’re facing and you’re not good enough at micro-managing several clicks a second to maintain the correct distance within some invisible gameplay-critical radii”.

I get why some people find it fun but to me it’s just punishment. You can’t even get better by playing against the AI because the game plays out completely differently against humans.

So is basically every other online thing. And it’s not limited to games. Forums? Check. Facebook/Twitter? Check. Reddit? Extra yes. It’s a shame but people are broken, and they have no qualms about showing it when there is no chance for physical repercussions.

I thought it looked dopey until I started watching Day[9] learn Dota. There really does seem to be a fair amount of depth to it.

• Kretschmer

If AMD doesn’t keep their products working well with the most popular games, no one will buy their GPUs and your optimizations will stop happening. That is NOT FUN.

Trust me, I owned a Voodoo5.

There is, and they’re focusing it on the top games that people play. I get it’s not your thing, but you aren’t the market.

• DoomGuy64

Alternatively, if AMD gets more popular due to esports, more developers will consider optimizing games for AMD, and well known optimization techniques will get copied to other games. AMD has had issues getting developers on board since dx10.1, but it seems like that tide is turning. It’s a lot more efficient to get developers to optimize their games than having the driver team compile a monolithic driver for poorly optimized games. AMD cards are going to start looking better if this starts a chain reaction.

• K-L-Waster

“It is not enough that my games get optimized. All other games must be left to rot.”

• NTMBK

The world of eSports and streaming definitely isn’t getting left to rot. It seems like half of the updates are about one or the other these days.

• ronch

“If there’s an issue, here’s a tissue.”

Ok, that’s really bad. Blame his dad.

• Pholostan

[quote<]That optimization is part of the red graphics team's just-announced Project ReSX (Radeon eSports Experience) effort to boost e-sports titles on the company's Radeon graphics chips.[/quote<] [quote<]Curious gerbils wanting to know more can read AMD's official announcement of its Project ReSX efforts here.[/quote<] Those links there seems to be broken and/or dead.

• Spunjji

“Kristen, you look burnt, or DEAD”

• EzioAs

Call it whatever you want AMD, as long as your cards performs how it should in games, I don’t think anyone will criticize you.

….then again, this is the 21st century and the internet is ubiquitous as well…