Deal of the day: hundreds in savings on a Core i7-8700K-and-mobo combo

Whatever component might be holding up your next PC build, it doesn't have to be a quality motherboard or CPU if you can act today. Start with the award-winning combo of Intel's Core i7-8700K and Gigabyte's Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard for $556.98 from Newegg, a $33 savings over buying those parts separately. Add promo code NENG6 to take another $80 off the Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 and promo code NENN7 to lop off another $10 from your shopping cart. Newegg will include a $20 promotional gift card in your cart for the Core i7-8700K, and Gigabyte is offering a $20 mail-in rebate for the motherboard on top of all that.

That's $163 in savings on a killer combo, for a final price of $446.98. Act fast, though, because less than 10 hours remain on that $80-off promo code.

Intel's Core i7-8700K needs no introduction as one of the most well-rounded CPUs available. It won a TR Editor's Choice Award for its prowess in gaming, streaming, productivity, and sheer single-threaded speed.

The TR Recommended Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 boasts a VRM more typical of Intel X99 and X299 boards, meaning that it should be more than up to the task of extracting the most from that Coffee Lake chip. A trio of RGB LED-illuminated PCIe slots, three M.2 slots, copious peripheral I/O, and a high-end ESS DAC round out the package.

• ronch

If you catch this deal it’s gonna give a Ryzen 1600X + X370 mobo combo a run for their money.

At regular prices though, I’ll still get Ryzen even if money is no object.

• bthylafh

I wonder if video cards and RAM being ridiculous is affecting the CPU and motherboard market also.

Most PCs don’t ship with a graphics card, but I could see that affecting pre-built gaming systems. Everything needs RAM, though, so I bet you’re right on that one.

• Philldoe

I can think of a few people in my circle that would buy a new CPU and motherboard if it were not for DDR4 and GPU prices. They all want 1080’s(some even want the Ti) but to keep the rest of the system from bottlenecking they need a CPU upgrade, but none of them can afford or simply refuse to spend $1500 for a GPU and Ram for the new platform.

Sure, but that’s got nothing to do with the prebuilt systems I was talking about.

• MadManOriginal

For retail-boxed sales intended for DIY systems, most definitely. If fewer people are DIY building PCs due to graphics card and RAM prices, fewer people will buy the CPUs and motherboards to go with them. That’s why when graphics card prices went through the roof in January, companies which produce both motherboards and graphics cards like Gigabyte started motherboard+GPU bundles. Granted, that’s still one half of the supply-limited part, but it’s a way for them to entice people to buy a motherboard too.

• ozzuneoj

Awesome! That $163 will pay for one 256MB stick of 266Mhz DDR4 or a Geforce G210 with 4GB of DDR2 at the current market prices.

SWEET GAMING BLISS, HERE WE COME!!!!!

• Srsly_Bro

The whining never stops!

• moose17145

And neither does your whining about the whining, apparently.

People generally stop whining about a thing once there’s no reason to whine about it anymore.

• Concupiscence

Neither does the smug “you should have bought a card earlier because real gamers have clairvoyance” commentary.

• MEATLOAF2

It’s all about the luck, built my system when 16GB of DDR4 3000 could be had for $125, and I got a 1080 on sale for $460. Feels like ancient history.

“Back in my day, you could get, like, a decent card for less than $1000.”

I refuse to stop rubbing it in, it’s how I’m coping with the coin bubble.

• spiketheaardvark

I’d like to find out the GPU price crossover point where we should all give up and go back to rendering on CPU.

• Kretschmer

Lenovo has a special on their 720S 15″ right now.

$1,200 gets you a slim-bodied laptop with i7, 1050Ti, 8GB RAM, and 512GB SSD.
    That’s pretty dang good for a unit that’s one notch below the Dell XPS series in build quality. I just received my 720S and am fairly impressed with it.