Philips 492P8 49″ double-wide display gets a spec bump

We wrote a few words about Philips' 492P8 double-wide 49" display when it was unveiled it at IFA in Berlin back in September. The company has given the screen an interesting spec bump and issued a US release date. The display shown at IFA had a resolution of 3840×1080, but Philips is now saying that the 492P8 will have a more ambitious VA panel with 5120 columns and 1440 rows of pixels.

The rest of the 492P8's specs appear to be unchanged since the previous report. The display has an 1800R curvature, a 5000:1 contrast ratio rating, maximum brightness of 600 cd/m², and 178° viewing angles. The manufacturer says the display will have HDMI, DisplayPort (DP), VGA, USB-C, Ethernet, and USB 3.0 connectivity, but stopped short of providing DP and HDMI version numbers. Philips didn't say whether the monitor accepts input over the USB-C port, but the presence of an Ethernet connector suggests that it does.

The company didn't mention refresh rates or support for variable-refresh-rate tech, so the 492P8 probably won't be an ideal display for fast-paced gaming. Flight-sim players might find a lot to like in the expansive 49" 32:9 screen, though. The 5120×1440 display effectively acts as two 2560×1440 monitors next to each other.

Philips says the 492P8 49" double-wide display will hit US shelves in Q4 2018. Back at IFA, the company was predicting a €899 (about $923) sticker price and a European release set for Q2 2018. The company didn't provide any new pricing information, so we're not sure if that price will stay given the display's spec bump.

• Anovoca

But how many do I need to form a circle?

• MrJP

It’s 1800R and the visible screen area is 1200mm wide, so 9 of these will get pretty close. Is 288:9 referred to as hyperwide?

• krazyredboy

I was on the fence for a while, trying to decide what monitor I wanted to get for my (cough) office/gaming pc (cough), and had two in mind before my purchase.

The first was the Samsung 49″ ultrawide monitor. I loved everything but the resolution and I thought I would give it a chance, and tried it. They had one at a nearby Fry’s, so I was able to try it before buying it. Overall… I didn’t like it. It felt too wide and the resolution proved to be a bit too low.

My other choice (and the one I ultimately bought) was the LG 34″ Ultrawide, with Freesync. This has a higher resolution than the Samsung, with a 3840×1440 res. I found this monitor to be far more comfortable than the 49″ due to having to move my head to see the edges, as well as the clarity of the resolution. Also, the LG monitor only cost me $540, which was spread over 5 payments to Amazon… so… the pricing was great, too!

• demani

We use those LGs in a lot of places and everyone likes them. Good panels and good color. Unfortunately some of them have an issue with the VESA mounts (the part that is supposed to be threaded is just bouncing around inside the case(!))
      Just something to be aware of, given that the stands on those aren’t really anything at all.

• krazyredboy

The only issue I’ve had with LG’s and the VESA mounts, so far, is the placement of the input cables and their proximity to the mount. I’ve had cut out portions of the mounts, just to plug in Displayport cables.

• snowMAN

You seem to have mixed up the specs, the 34″ are available in 2560×1080 and 3440×1440, and the 38″ in 3840×1600. Sounds like you have a 3440×1440.

• jts888

So 81 -> 108 dpi?
    Makes this thing not a complete gimmicky novelty.

• Sargent Duck

[quote<]The manufacturer says the display will have ... VGA...[/quote<] Ummm...wut?

• Usacomp2k3

I’m guessing for some sort of PiP mode. I could see this being useful for having a security camera in the corner or something.

• the

Legacy that will never die due to the benefits of just having it for that once in a life time usage.

RS-232 serial is the same way on a lot of systems. It has fallen out of style on the back ports of systems but not unheard of to see a header on a motherboard today.

• leor

We’re starting to get interesting….

• chuckula

You dawg.

We heard you like double-wides.

So we made a double-wide display to let you look at your double-wide while you are in your double-wide.

• Neutronbeam

I don’t think my eyes can see that wide.

• SixIron

As the owner of a 34″ UltraWide (3440 x 1440), I can say you ain’t just blowin smoke.

• crystall

Holy mother of monitors!

• gerryg

Drooling….

• gerryg

Oh, wait, it’s not dual 4k resolution. <turns nose up at it>

• DPete27

49″ 32:9 is two 27″ 16:9 screens at 2560×1440. I’d say that’s right in the sweet spot.

• gerryg

Oh, I didn’t realize it was that small… anything less than two 32″ers is a total failure. 😉