Logitech’s G560 speakers and G513 keyboard offer mood lighting

There's a huge gulf in immersion between playing a game on a monitor and playing it in VR. There aren't many ways to step out into that gap, but one of them is through reactive mood lighting. Technologies like Philips' Ambilight improve immersion by smoothing over the harsh disconnect between what you're looking at and what's in your peripheral vision. Logitech is the latest company to offer a product in this vein with its Lightsync technology found on the new G560 speakers and G513 mechanical keyboard.

Yes, these are speakers and a keyboard with RGB LED lighting. The lights aren't just for accent, though. Logitech says the light show on both devices will synchronize to both visual and audio cues in games and videos. The keyboard has lights under the keys as usual, but the G560 speakers will actually project their light onto a surface behind your workstation. Logitech says you can assign the speakers' four lighting zones to any area in your monitor so that the colors are in sync, or simply have the lights react to music being played. The company also suggests that the mood lighting could react to in-game events like taking damage or approaching enemies.

Aside from the lighting, the Logitech G560s are a 2.1 set of speakers that Logitech rates for up to 120 W RMS of total power—more than enough to rock your socks off from close range. They support Dolby DTS:X Ultra for in-game positional audio, and will take inputs from USB, Bluetooth, and regular old 3.5-mm connections. The speakers also support Logitech's Easy-Switch feature to connect them to up to four sources simultaneously so that you aren't constantly re-pairing them with new devices.

Meanwhile, the G513 keyboard is a mechanical gaming keyboard with a space-saving design and Logitech's Romer-G mechanical switches. It's coming in two versions: one with linear switches (think Cherry MX Red) and one with tactile switches (like MX Browns). Romer-G switches are intended for gamers, and as a result they have an unusually-short 1.5-mm throw, not unlike Cherry'x MX Speed series of mechanical switches. The G513 has an all-aluminum case, comes with a memory foam palm rest, and hooks up through USB.

Logitech says the new Lightsync hardware will be available in April of this year. The G560 2.1 PC gaming speakers will run you $200, while the G513 keyboard will come in at $150.

• Glix

Have you guys actually tried the glow behind tech. It’s actually a good idea when mixed with minimal bezel and granted your wall doesn’t offset the colour too much.

I’m keen to see if over the term it would reduce eye strain?

• Vaughn

Will be so glad when this stupid lets RGB everything fad is over.

• cynan

Well, it’s official. Logitech has run out of ideas. The last thing you want for speakers designed to go near a display is for them to be a competing source of dynamic lighting.

$150 for a mechanical that doesn’t even feature genuine Cherry MX switches? Wow, that’s a greedy shame, because it looks like an otherwise decent, pleasingly-minimal keyboard.

As for those speakers, I found the press release to be just as light on technical specs as I’d expect
    for an ‘all-show, no-go’ RGBLED vanity product, but Logitech are historically not too bad at these 2.1 sets.

Sure, you can [b<]DEFINITELY[/b<] get much better sound quality for $200 but if you aren't an audiophile and actually want to spend an extra $100 on RGBLED bling, then you can probably do worse than these speakers. Compact 2.1's have a distinctive sound (or rather lack of distinctive clarity) at the crossover range between the sub and the drivers that I'm willing to avoid at all costs, but most people aren't critical of the audio quality and just want the booms to be loud and the treble to be crisp; I am positive these will meet those modest criteria.

• trackerben

Worse, the keyboard doesn’t have mood light surround. Having the wavefront shine into my eyes isn’t enough, it needs to bounce off the room wall for that spacious ‘Bose’ effect.

• jackbomb

I can already hear the boominess.

• Anovoca

I dig these. Unlike LEDs on mobo heatsinks or RAM DIMMS these actually provide an ambient effect that can measurably enhance the immersion of gaming or music. I just hope I can program them to turn off when a movie is playing in full screen mode. I dont need a light show going off when a movie title sequence starts playing its music.

Edit: that being said, 5.1 > (2.1 and a light show) every day of the week.

• CreoleLakerFan

I had/have a set of Mad Catz Cyborg lights that I never got working with Windows 10 due to selective USB suspend issues … these look like they’d be an awesome replacement.

• Pville_Piper

Meh… I’m not in the mood for such lighting…

• MagariNegi

*ba dum tiss!*

• DPete27

I assume you have to be connected via USB to get the LightSync feature on the speakers?

$200 for a $70 set of speakers is a bit much.

• demani

Yeah- I’m wondering how this works actually. This is getting closer to what I want though: an RGB controller with HDMI or DisplayPort passthrough, so you could then connect lights and it would work with any signal on the cable.
      Or have someone build that into an AVR (they need some new differentiating features).

• Blackfell

Looks like [url=https://www.dreamscreentv.com/<]DreamScreen[/url<] would be worth looking at.

• DPete27

Or you could buy a Phillips TV/Montior with [url=https://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-so/televisions/p/ambilight<]Ambilight[/url<] so it's already built-in. @DreamScreen - Cool product though, if you've got the money.

[quote<] they have an unusually-short 1.5-mm throw[/quote<] That's only 1.25mm more travel distance than the keyboard on a MacBook Pro.

• Duct Tape Dude

I’m going to be rich once I design a negative throw keyboard. Pull harder!

• psuedonymous

Have a keyswitch that unlatches on a hair-trigger on contact in order to actuate. Of course, that means every keypress is single-use, so you need to buy a pile of new keyswitches for every sentence.
        Slap “gamer” on the box and make millions!

• ptsant

Although I greatly appreciate my current MBP (2014), I find the new keyboard to be much worse. And I clearly prefer my Cherry MX switches at home.

Yeah, I bought a 2017 MBP knowing that the keyboard was horseradish but at home it’s not so bad next to my Cherry MX Brown-based keyboard.

Could be worse, it could be a 12″ Macbook (Retina) with the zero-travel keys.

Oh, wait – they’re just [i<]stuck[/i<] again. ...with the near-zero-travel keys. "Thin" is a cancer to the tech industry.

That’s basically what I’m talking about with the 2017 model. It’s not a great experience, but I haven’t had problems with anything getting stuck. Then again, when I use it at home I have a nice mechanical keyboard.

The 2015 relaunch of the Macbook into this super-thin, single USB-C paperweight is the keyboard I’m talking about. It was so thin that the keyboard was compromised AND unreliable.

Apple redesigned the keyboard mechanism in 2017 and it’s much improved in terms of not getting keys stuck, but it’s still a horrible experience to type on (and lousy ergonomics).

I was (perhaps mistakenly) under the impression that it was the same keyboard. Maybe not.