Mushkin Source SSDs bring solid-state performance at friendly prices

Yesterday's storage news was all related to datacenter gear for those overseeing acres of tightly-packed server hardware. Today's data conservation talk concerns a new line of SATA SSDs from Mushkin. The company's Source-series SATA drives will be offered in both old-school 2.5" and latest-craze M.2-2280 form factors, with capacities ranging from 120 GB to 1 TB.

Inside each Source SSD sits a Silicon Motion SM2258XT controller lording over an array of 3D TLC NAND flash chips. The SM2258XT controller's claim to fame is cost-saving DRAM-less operation. As a result, the only caching on the Source drives comes through its SLC cache.

The smallest drive in the family claims maximum sequential speeds of 510 MB/s when reading and 440 MB/s when writing. Mushkin says the same drive delivers maximums of 29K read IOPS and 79K write IOPS. The 500 GB model, the largest that's currently available, boosts those sequential numbers to 560 MB/s for reads and 520 MB/s for writes. The maximum read random stat jumps to 75K read IOPS and the write figure increases modestly to 81K IOPS. The company didn't provide any write endurance figures, but says the drive should be good for a mean time of 1.5 million hours between failures.

Mushkin's Source SSDs from 120 GB to 500 GB are available in the classic 2.5" form factor now from retailers like Amazon and Newegg. Prices are extremely competitive—the 120-GB 2.5" model rings in under $40, and the 500-GB version tallies about $110. The company says the M.2 versions will come out in April. There's no word on availability for the 1-TB model, but we figure it'll be around soon. The Source SSDs are covered by a three-year warranty.

• Acidicheartburn

I’m really curious to see the performance of these drives. I don’t expect any records to be broken, not by a long shot. But if these can perform even a little above some of the bottom-of-the-barrel SSD’s out there, $110 MSRP for 500GB seems like a pretty darn good deal for a massive upgrade over HDDs for cheaper devices, especially when inevitable sale prices come around.

• kvndoom

A low end SSD will still whip spinning platters by a long shot. I hope this is a good sign of stuff to come.

• Welch

But memory manufacturers are so strapped in production!!!

I know… I know, it’s not remotely the same requirements and yields as memory used in RAM, but still blows my mind that memory keeps going up and SSDs seem to be dropping.

120GB for UNDER $40, that is pretty great even with the “Slow” 440 writes. I’d take that 120GB drive any day at that price for general computing or a basic office rig.

• Takeshi7

I wonder how long it can maintain that 440 write speed before it drops to terrible slower than 5400RPM hard drive TLC write speeds.

• DavidC1

That’s ok. We forgive them because its cheap, and we buy it fully knowing we won’t get the best.

Yes, sequential numbers don’t mean much. The Silicon Power S60 SSD with 520MB/s Read and 420MB/s writes seems just as fast as the X25-M drive with 250MB/s Read and 70MB/s writes. I think in some ways, the X25-M seems faster, and it doesn’t even support TRIM!

But, even these drives are acceptable and worlds beyond the unusable pre-X25-M MLC drives. Controllers have come a long way.

• ronch

Review this.

• PoopaSwoof

Just installed the 250 g version this weekend.
      Fresh Windows 7 install. Boots fast no problems so far.
      Benchmark
      ———————————————————————–
      CrystalDiskMark 6.0.0 x64 (C) 2007-2017 hiyohiyo
      Crystal Dew World : [url<]https://crystalmark.info/[/url<] ----------------------------------------------------------------------- * MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s] * KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 548.487 MB/s Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 464.134 MB/s Random Read 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 135.543 MB/s [ 33091.6 IOPS] Random Write 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 139.962 MB/s [ 34170.4 IOPS] Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 159.244 MB/s [ 38877.9 IOPS] Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 140.533 MB/s [ 34309.8 IOPS] Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 26.247 MB/s [ 6408.0 IOPS] Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 76.203 MB/s [ 18604.2 IOPS] Test : 1024 MiB [C: 48.3% (112.4/232.8 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec] Date : 2018/03/25 0:10:34 OS : Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x64) Not bad. Now let's see if it lasts.

• NovusBogus

I want to see some performance reviews to know what I’m getting–Mushkin offers great value but drive performance tends to be hit or miss.

• Redocbew

“Warranty void if any label removed”

Does anyone else find it odd seeing this on an SSD? Maybe on the back there’s one of those anti-tamper stickers to dissuade people from opening the case. Otherwise, I don’t get it.

• MOSFET

So far so good with a 1TB Reactor.

• Kretschmer

Likewise. It’s sad that this “SSD Deal” 3 years later is a worse $/GB that I paid in 2015.

• designerfx

Are you referring to spinning disc? What SSD was cheaper 3 years ago that wasn’t a chinese offbrand with (horrific performance)

• Kretschmer

You could find a Mushkin Reactor 1TB for <$220 in 2015. I’m using one now.

• hansmuff

Good for you, really. My 1TB reactor shit the bed within 30 minutes. At least the refund wasn’t a problem (thank you Newegg.)

• MOSFET

I read a few reviews like that. It’s basically a Dropbox/OneDrive/iCloud drive so unless it sends bad data to the cloud, I should be pretty safe. I would never use it in some places I wouldn’t hesitate to use an 850 EVO or the Micron 1100.

• Srsly_Bro

A little…. Over reacting?

• Star Brood

That makes me want to upgrade my HDD in my 2012 13 inch macbook pro.

• Sargent Duck

I bought a new gaming laptop and swapped out the 1TB spinny for a 250GB SSD I pulled from my old gaming box. My Steam library is filling that up pretty quickly, but a 1TB model? Mmmmm….

• designerfx

3d TLC nand for $110!? That’s very, very aggressive.